Notices

Pss9 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 01:06 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pss9 question

I currently run a 05 997 with lowered springs I run at least one track event a month and I wanted to change the shock to the pss9 set up. I am a little confused how to truly set the ride height as well as the dampening settings.
i don't want to sound ignorant but does it become a personal preference or is there a base line to start with? ie 5 in front 5 in back and adjust ride height to my current height?

I have been running perelli Corsa wich I am happy with 235 35 18 front and 295 30 18 rear, i have -2 degree both front and back.

i just dont like the body roll and rebound i get with factory shocks at hi speeds and fast turn ins.

let me know if anyone has any suggestions.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Good plan,.......you'll find that PSS-9's are FAR better than your H&R spring/factory shock combination,....

PSS-9's are full threaded coilovers; that means that each shock has about 4" of threads that permits you to set the ride height anywhere you want (within reason). Ride height changes (and corner-weights) are changed by moving threaded collars up or down on the threaded bodies.

Shock settings will vary with street or track use and your level of driving skill/experience. As a guideline, some people use 8/7 (F/R) for street use and 3/2 or 2/1 for track use.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
bruinbro
Pro

If you want to play with the ride height get the JIC coilovers as they allow height change without changing the spring compression aor having to compress the springs to move the spring perches.

Bruinbro
Old 08-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you confusing the adjustability of the dampening/rebound with the ride height adjustment?

With PSS-9s or JICs you set the ride heright at install time. A good shop will be able to help you balance the pros and cons of what height you want. After the height is set and corner balance adjusted, you'll need an alignment. Again, a good shop will help balance the possibilities for good handling and tire wear for street or track (it's a trade-off). Remember, when you change ride height, you need to realign the car and re-check/re-do the corner balance. An alignment and balance is typically about $500 so it's not something you want to do all that often.

Now once that is all done, you get to play with the firm/soft settings. In general, softer is nicer for street driving and firmer is nicer for track. This is the advantage of PSS-9s or JICs. It's a simple adjustment that doesn't take a computer scientist or professional race mechanic to figure out (like trying to get double or triple adjustable Moton's set).

I have PSS-9s on my 993. They work fine and I like them set at full soft on the street for daily driving but go to 3/1 (front/rear) for the track (1 is full firm and 9 is full soft). I do not like the PSS-9 adjustability as it is nearly impossible to feel the "clicks" when you adjust them. This means it takes longer to make sure you can do a visual check on the setting (which isn't easy when the setting for the front is a few inches from the ground). The JICs on my track car are very easy to adjust (remote in the rear) and easy to feel the clicks. 15 clicks of adjustment on the JICs.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:28 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Get that Turtle fixed....

Tom,

Laguna is coming up real fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:45 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

dose anyone know the spring rayes for the pss9?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:24 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

spring rates for the shocks ...sorry

Quick Reply: Pss9 question