Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

AUTO-BLiP - Blips the Throttle on DOWNSHIFT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 05:59 PM
skyak
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Category: Engine - Electrical
Price (no $ sign please): $390
Private or Vendor Listing: Vendor Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 986, 987, 996, 997, Cayman
Location (Region): Midwestern
Item Condition: Brand New

Nice to hear it is working for you Dguth. I just finished setting the controller in its "testing" location. I may leave it in this location unless I find I never want to change the settings...in which case I may hide completely in the future with just a power switch somewhere. The little trim piece is under $20 so not too worried about affixing velcro to it for hanging the unit. If I do like this location going forward I might consider gluing it permanently to the trim piece and just buying a spare trim piece for the clean look.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

It looks like the unit automatically shuts off when I turn the engine off. Does anyone know if there's any potential battery drain from this?
Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 187 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguth
It looks like the unit automatically shuts off when I turn the engine off. Does anyone know if there's any potential battery drain from this?
Automatically powers down after 6 hours.

ALSO, Thanks for the pictures guys!
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 07-02-2018, 09:46 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 161 Posts

Keep the install pics coming. Always helps. Any DIY install videos or threads yet?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:49 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Any DIY install videos or threads yet?
Haven't found any. Attempted to video the whole thing, but nearly impossible due to space limitations under the dash with a human on the floorboard! There are 6 wires to connect up. The instructions are pretty clear. I did make a suggestion to call out a couple wire colors that were missing in Fig. 5A.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Jett911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's easy. Except working on your back to reach the brake & clutch wire connections up high... The splice connectors work well. Just follow the install guide and you'll be fine.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Same here, install pretty straight forward and I tend to tear something up when I do installs on my own. Highly recommend having needle nose pliers to close the wire clamps. I thought I could do it with just my fingers and it gets tough due to cramped location in getting enough pressure on the clamps.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Van914
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't get the instructions in my shipment. Where can I get to download?
Thanks
Van914
Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van914
Thanks
Van914
See if this link works. If not, go to the auto blip website, click on support center link and you will see listing of all the install instructions.

http://www.auto-blip.com/pdf/Porsche_2005+_v1_2.pdf
Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default AUTO-BLiP Installation Instruction Link

Originally Posted by Van914
Thanks
Van914
AUTO-BLiP Installation Instructions
You can get them HERE - scroll down to bottom
Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,540 Posts

On the instructions, it looks like there is a 12V constant connection ( it says so it can remember the settings)
"The use of a constant 12v power supply will enable the unit to remember its last ON/OFF setting when the vehicle’s ignition is turned back ON"
The instructions later say:
"Note: The AUTO BLIP will automatically turn OFF after 6 hours of inactivity. It will remain OFF until the ON/OFF button is pressed or power to the unit is removed and re-applied"
Since the unit is hooked to constant power, it seems it would never see the power reset mentioned, and it sounds like it will remain in auto-blip mode on restarts only if it hasn't sat more than six hours, but if it does sit 6 hours it must be manually re-enabled? Essentially every morning it defaults to off and you have to turn it on?

Maybe a translation issue? Great that it powers itself off, but it sure would be nice if it went back into blip-mode every morning if thats were you left it the night before...

Nit-picking here, overall it sounds awesome and I plan on ordering one...
Old 07-04-2018, 12:12 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
On the instructions, it looks like there is a 12V constant connection ( it says so it can remember the settings)
"The use of a constant 12v power supply will enable the unit to remember its last ON/OFF setting when the vehicle’s ignition is turned back ON"
The instructions later say:
"Note: The AUTO BLIP will automatically turn OFF after 6 hours of inactivity. It will remain OFF until the ON/OFF button is pressed or power to the unit is removed and re-applied"
Since the unit is hooked to constant power, it seems it would never see the power reset mentioned, and it sounds like it will remain in auto-blip mode on restarts only if it hasn't sat more than six hours, but if it does sit 6 hours it must be manually re-enabled? Essentially every morning it defaults to off and you have to turn it on?

Maybe a translation issue? Great that it powers itself off, but it sure would be nice if it went back into blip-mode every morning if thats were you left it the night before...

Nit-picking here, overall it sounds awesome and I plan on ordering one...
I saw that too. However, if I'm understanding things correctly, we would not want this on during startup.
You'd need to remember to keep your foot off the brake when starting and keep the ebrake on. Otherwise, you'll be blipping the throttle on startup with the brake and clutch in. I would NOT want that happening to a cold engine.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

I was a little confused by that at as well. What I do know is that my car has sat well over 24 hours and it cranked up, power came on and worked perfectly. Goes off when I shut the car off as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Another thing to point out that I do like. Based on your calibration it does not blip unless you are fully depressing the clutch. So for example given my clutch release is higher up, I can decide if I want it to blip based on how far down I want to press the clutch.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Jett911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is not connected to constant power (OBD port) but also powers on right away. I do not have issues blipping on startup. Although, now that I think about it appeared to not be blipping the rpms as high the last time I drove it. I wonder if the unit automatically returns to the factory settings regardless of the actual dial positions? I'm going to play with it a little.

Quick Reply: AUTO-BLiP - Blips the Throttle on DOWNSHIFT!