Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

AUTO-BLiP - Blips the Throttle on DOWNSHIFT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Jett911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Category: Engine - Electrical
Price (no $ sign please): $390
Private or Vendor Listing: Vendor Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 986, 987, 996, 997, Cayman
Location (Region): Midwestern
Item Condition: Brand New

Originally Posted by Dguth
I was a little confused by that at as well. What I do know is that my car has sat well over 24 hours and it cranked up, power came on and worked perfectly. Goes off when I shut the car off as well.

FYI, it does not blip if you clutch in then brake, even if both are depressed fully.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:13 PM
wpruitt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused on Constant vs Switched Power

Mine is done except power hook ups but confused on whether to use constant or switched power. Can anybody explain if the unit turns on even if it was off when switched power is on? More importantly, does it lose calibration with switched power?

Thanks,
Warren
Old 07-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

I did not wire mine up to the constant power connection which I believe is the OBD port one in the diagram. Used the one by the clutch diagram. All I know is that mine turns on when I crank the car and light turns off when I turn the car off. I don't drive my car regularly and seems to still work even after cranking after long period of time.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:08 PM
bml376
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had some similar questions, so reached out to Andres who is the owner at Tractive. Regarding the questions of 1.) Power connections and 2.) whether the unit will loose calibration. Below are the questions I asked and answers begin with ">>>".

1.) In the document it says the following:
* The use of a constant 12v power supply will enable the unit to remember its last ON/OFF setting when the vehicle’s ignition is turned back ON.

The table in the document shows that the auto-blip power cable (white) can connect to the car's Black/Orange (clutch OUT switch). Is this black/orange cable a 12v power supply?

>>> Yes it is one of the options. Keep in mind that it is an ignition switched 12v source so the unit will always be on the ON state when you start the vehicle. A constant 12v source, such as the OBDII, will enable you to control the ON/OFF state of the unit.

2.) Does the auto-blip need to be re-calibrated every time the unit is turn on?

>>> No, every time the unit is calibrated, the data is stored in non-volatile memory.

I have mine hooked up to switched power (not OBD2) and it turns on every time I turn on the car and turns off when I turn off the car.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:20 PM
skyak
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bml376
I had some similar questions, so reached out to Andres who is the owner at Tractive. Regarding the questions of 1.) Power connections and 2.) whether the unit will loose calibration. Below are the questions I asked and answers begin with ">>>".

1.) In the document it says the following:
* The use of a constant 12v power supply will enable the unit to remember its last ON/OFF setting when the vehicle’s ignition is turned back ON.

The table in the document shows that the auto-blip power cable (white) can connect to the car's Black/Orange (clutch OUT switch). Is this black/orange cable a 12v power supply?

>>> Yes it is one of the options. Keep in mind that it is an ignition switched 12v source so the unit will always be on the ON state when you start the vehicle. A constant 12v source, such as the OBDII, will enable you to control the ON/OFF state of the unit.

2.) Does the auto-blip need to be re-calibrated every time the unit is turn on?

>>> No, every time the unit is calibrated, the data is stored in non-volatile memory.

I have mine hooked up to switched power (not OBD2) and it turns on every time I turn on the car and turns off when I turn off the car.

Hope this helps.
Thank you bml376, so basically the only thing that constant power does is if the unit was OFF before turning the car off it will remain OFF when you turn the car back on.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:16 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine is also installed.. and as others have described it is very straight forward, the instructions are excellent.. but it is awkward getting in under the pedals (especially if you are big and/or have long arms). Took me 1.5hrs much of which was getting the very first accelerator clip on when I was second guessing everything I was doing. Have not tested on the street.. but at idle does exactly as you would expect, good product.

Has anyone tested the "clutch in" vs "clutch out" option? I went with "clutch out" but it seems to trigger as the clutch is going in and not out.. seems the opposite I what I expected.

Thanks
Matty
Old 07-05-2018, 08:32 PM
wpruitt
Rennlist Member

Thanks BML! That helps a lot.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:21 PM
bml376
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

matt33, I also was confused about this, so also asked Andres at Tractive.

This was my question to him about this:

3.) The document also says the following:

** Connection to the clutch OUT switch will allow for an earlier blip trigger through the clutch pedal stroke. This
option maybe more suitable for those wanting a faster reaction time of the RPM blip. When using this option,
make use of the “DELAY” adjustment in order to provide sufficient delay time for the clutch to disengage before
the RPM blip triggers.

is it correct that if I connect it to the clutch OUT switch, the signal for the blip trigger will be when I release the clutch? (foot still on the brake of course).

The response:

>>> No, it means the blip will be trigger as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed at the top of the travel. Please see recently updated manuals on our website.

Similarly if I connect to the clutch IN switch, the signal for the blip trigger will be when I initially step on the clutch? (again foot still on the brake).

>>> No, it means the blip will be trigger when the clutch pedal reaches the bottom of the travel. Please see recently updated manuals on our website.

I went with the clutch OUT connection for the following reasons:

1.) I wanted a faster response.
2.) When depressing the clutch, I don't depress the pedal all the way to the floor, this isn't necessary at least from what I've discovered for my driving style/preference. So I didn't want having to depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to be a requirement for sending the blip signal.

With that said, the fast response time means I needed to play around with the delay a bit. I settled on duration at 12 o'clock and delay at 11 o'clock.

I'll fine tune this when I try this out at the track in Sonoma this weekend.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:32 PM
AUTO-BLiP
3rd Gear

Hello everyone,

My name is Andres and I am with Tractive Technology, makers of the AUTO-BLiP.
We wanted to reach out to everyone and make sure to answer any questions you may have about our product.
Please don't hesitate to contact us via email at info@tractivetechnology.com or by phone/text at 480-788-6748.

Regards,
Andres
Old 07-06-2018, 03:01 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 187 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO-BLiP
Hello everyone,

My name is Andres and I am with Tractive Technology, makers of the AUTO-BLiP.
We wanted to reach out to everyone and make sure to answer any questions you may have about our product.
Please don't hesitate to contact us via email at info@tractivetechnology.com or by phone/text at 480-788-6748.

Regards,
Andres
Thanks Andres, most questions are answered in the nicely documented instruction set. However, a couple of questions have come up:
1. There is/was some confusion about constant power vs. power on with the key. What does the AUTO-BLiP do in both cases when the car is restarted?
3. During start up with both brake and clutch pressed, is there a blip - answer seems to be "no".
4. Is it true the blip only occurs if the brake is pushed first?
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 07-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bml376
matt33, I also was confused about this, so also asked Andres at Tractive.

This was my question to him about this:

3.) The document also says the following:

** Connection to the clutch OUT switch will allow for an earlier blip trigger through the clutch pedal stroke. This
option maybe more suitable for those wanting a faster reaction time of the RPM blip. When using this option,
make use of the “DELAY” adjustment in order to provide sufficient delay time for the clutch to disengage before
the RPM blip triggers.

is it correct that if I connect it to the clutch OUT switch, the signal for the blip trigger will be when I release the clutch? (foot still on the brake of course).

The response:

>>> No, it means the blip will be trigger as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed at the top of the travel. Please see recently updated manuals on our website.

Similarly if I connect to the clutch IN switch, the signal for the blip trigger will be when I initially step on the clutch? (again foot still on the brake).

>>> No, it means the blip will be trigger when the clutch pedal reaches the bottom of the travel. Please see recently updated manuals on our website.

I went with the clutch OUT connection for the following reasons:

1.) I wanted a faster response.
2.) When depressing the clutch, I don't depress the pedal all the way to the floor, this isn't necessary at least from what I've discovered for my driving style/preference. So I didn't want having to depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to be a requirement for sending the blip signal.

With that said, the fast response time means I needed to play around with the delay a bit. I settled on duration at 12 o'clock and delay at 11 o'clock.

I'll fine tune this when I try this out at the track in Sonoma this weekend.
I went the opposite route. Preferred for it to blip only when I fully depress the clutch. With this method I can decide whether I want it to blip or not. I would think if you set it up to blip when you press the clutch in, it will always blip which is sometimes unnecessary like when going to a complete stop.

I'll be interested in which method others choose.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:14 PM
AUTO-BLiP
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Thanks Andres, most questions are answered in the nicely documented instruction set. However, a couple of questions have come up:
1. There is/was some confusion about constant power vs. power on with the key. What does the AUTO-BLiP do in both cases when the car is restarted?
3. During start up with both brake and clutch pressed, is there a blip - answer seems to be "no".
4. Is it true the blip only occurs if the brake is pushed first?
1) If the unit is connected to an ignition switched power source (power on with the key), the unit will defaults to the ON state every time the vehicle is started. On the other hand if connected to a battery direct power source (constant power), if the unit is turned OFF, it will remain in the OFF state indefinitely until switched ON by the user.
3) No. When power is first applied to the unit, if the clutch pedal is depressed, the unit waits for the clutch pedal to be released first.
4) When the unit sees that the clutch pedal is depressed, the unit then looks the state if the brake pedal and if it is also depressed, the unit will then generate a blip.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Andres
Old 07-06-2018, 06:27 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO-BLiP
1) If the unit is connected to an ignition switched power source (power on with the key), the unit will defaults to the ON state every time the vehicle is started. On the other hand if connected to a battery direct power source (constant power), if the unit is turned OFF, it will remain in the OFF state indefinitely until switched ON by the user.
So just for complete clarification...

If the unit is 1) HARD WIRED, and car is turned off with the 2) SWITCH ON, and the car sits 3) SIX OR MORE HOURS and automatically powers off, then what happens at the next ignition start? ON or OFF?

The assumption is OFF even though the switch was left ON because of the six hour timeout. Correct or no?
Old 07-06-2018, 06:36 PM
AUTO-BLiP
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pfbz
So just for complete clarification...

If the unit is 1) HARD WIRED, and car is turned off with the 2) SWITCH ON, and the car sits 3) SIX OR MORE HOURS and automatically powers off, then what happens at the next ignition start? ON or OFF?

The assumption is OFF even though the switch was left ON because of the six hour timeout. Correct or no?
That is correct
Old 07-06-2018, 07:25 PM
mtbnutty
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4) When the unit sees that the clutch pedal is depressed, the unit then looks the state if the brake pedal and if it is also depressed, the unit will then generate a blip.

This seems to imply that the clutch pedal has to be pressed before the brake pedal to get the blip? Or are you saying that when the clutch and brake pedals are pressed, regardless of which was first or second, you get the blip?

Quick Reply: AUTO-BLiP - Blips the Throttle on DOWNSHIFT!