Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Bigboyrolo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I test-drove a 2016 Panamera S E-Hybrid for a couple hours last year that was a dealer demo with about 2k miles on it. It was fully charged when I left the dealership, and I don't think I got more than 8 miles before it ran out of charge, on a mix of in-town and highway driving. That's a 10-kWh battery pack, I think; the new 2018 Panameras have the 14-kWh pack and efficiency per kWh has apparently gone up, as well. I suspect that your 10 miles is normal.
Thanks for that, I also think it may be the norm. However, its not what the car actually does, but what it estimates before starting the engine. All reviews, even from Porsche say 'up to' 20+ miles which I understand will never happen, but at least I think the car should show 20ish as projected e-range when fully chraged. What about Gen 2 owners, what do they see as predicted e-range.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I brought up the low indicated electric mileage with my dealer. The highest figure I have seen since getting my 4 E-Hybrid last October, is 22 miles on a warmish November day. They agreed it seemed low so did a full battery cell test, which came out OK. I understand it is all temperature related and is non-linear. The estimated 31 miles is at around 22ºC/72ºF, where neither heating nor air conditioning will be operative. If the ambient temperature is above or below that figure, the calculated theoretical max range drops off sharply. It will be interesting to see if this is true when I get down to my other property in the south of France early next month.

Wilson
Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

As somebody who has ordered my first plug-in electric vehicle (a Pan4 ST E-Hybrid), I have a couple of questions for any of you who might know answers:

(1) why would an electric-motor battery pack be used to power electrical items in the car (audio, AC/heat, lighting, etc.), as opposed to letting the gas engine power the alternator, as in ICE-only cars? Or at least let the driver choose between the two, to conserve battery power for the electric motor from the 14-kWh battery pack (in the case of the 2018 Panamera)? Battery capacity is so low as it is, in terms of low driving range...

(2) What happens if you go for days or weeks (say on a long road trip, not bringing the charging cables along) without charging the E-Hybrid battery pack via AC outlets (i.e., only via the ICE)?
Does the battery lose efficiency over time if not fully charged for long periods?

(3) Are there any available graphs/plots/data on the expected charge output (battery degradation) of these new Porsche battery packs as a function of number of charges and/or a function of time? Does anybody with an older S E-Hybrid Cayenne or Panamera have any information on this from experience?

(4) Seeing that news story today about the Panamera E-Hybrid that caught fire while charging at a home in Thailand, I'm wondering if there is any concern plugging such a vehicle into a normal 120-volt home outlet overnight regularly?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/deta...ional/30341102

Thanks!

Last edited by cometguy; 03-17-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:58 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I had the electrician I have used for many years and who is very meticulous (he carries round a labelling machine and everything is labelled, so some future electrician knows what it is), install a 32 amp Commando 230V socket for me. The new supply wire he used to connect this to my main incoming supply 100 amp fuse box/meter is large, at around 1.5cm diameter. He also put in a separate 32 amp trip current and residual current/earth leakage cut out device (RCD) on the circuit. As long as you have a properly set up supply and are using the Porsche Universal Charging box, I suspect the fire risk is very low but if you are using a charging panel and cable of another make, I would be more suspicious.

I thought of having the same 32 amp supply installed in France but have decided just to live with 3kW charging there. I will use one of the regular external Schuko sockets on the outside of the house, together with a heavy duty auto roll back cable
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077M85MH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077M85MH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
. I changed the plug on the end from a UK one to a waterproof good quality Schuko plug. Porsche want over £300 for the Schuko CEE7/7 16 amp cable to connect from the Porsche Universal Charger to a domestic French Schuko socket......and it's not even gold plated! It can be quite hot in mid summer at my French house, over 40ºC/102ºF and I feel 3Kw charging might be kinder to the battery.

Wilson
Old 03-18-2018, 05:02 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by K777
This is mine, just not had chance to do my own photos
https://www.facebook.com/azuricarcar...96028937333327

Spec :
21" Exclusive design wheels jet black metallic
Sports exhaust in black
Black mirrors
Surround view
PDLS+
Sport design package in high gloss black
tinted tail lights
Privacy glass
window trim in high gloss black
ambient lighting
black partial leather
rear wiper
Gtechniq Serum light
hey, great looking car - question to you: are those PDLS+ in black?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
hey, great looking car - question to you: are those PDLS+ in black?
Thanks, and yeah.
Actually wasn't so interested in the + part, I just wanted the darker headlight package.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:38 AM
rsyed
Racer

Thanks, and yeah.
Actually wasn't so interested in the + part, I just wanted the darker headlight package.
have you seen them side by side (pdls+ black vs. pdls "normal)? is the glass of the light darker or the inside life of the light darker?

as with you, i dont care about pdls - just want cool lights for a white car :-)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 AM
Bigboyrolo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I brought up the low indicated electric mileage with my dealer. The highest figure I have seen since getting my 4 E-Hybrid last October, is 22 miles on a warmish November day. They agreed it seemed low so did a full battery cell test, which came out OK. I understand it is all temperature related and is non-linear. The estimated 31 miles is at around 22ºC/72ºF, where neither heating nor air conditioning will be operative. If the ambient temperature is above or below that figure, the calculated theoretical max range drops off sharply. It will be interesting to see if this is true when I get down to my other property in the south of France early next month.

Wilson
Thanks Wilson, I have reached this conclusion myself. Its easy to think of it as linear just like a fuel tank capacity but of course it isn't. I'll ask them to check the system Friday, no harm in that. The 4S E Hybrid will be my next car when used prices fall a bit more.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by cometguy
As somebody who has ordered my first plug-in electric vehicle (a Pan4 ST E-Hybrid), I have a couple of questions for any of you who might know answers:

(1) why would an electric-motor battery pack be used to power electrical items in the car (audio, AC/heat, lighting, etc.), as opposed to letting the gas engine power the alternator, as in ICE-only cars? Or at least let the driver choose between the two, to conserve battery power for the electric motor from the 14-kWh battery pack (in the case of the 2018 Panamera)? Battery capacity is so low as it is, in terms of low driving range...

(2) What happens if you go for days or weeks (say on a long road trip, not bringing the charging cables along) without charging the E-Hybrid battery pack via AC outlets (i.e., only via the ICE)?
Does the battery lose efficiency over time if not fully charged for long periods?

(3) Are there any available graphs/plots/data on the expected charge output (battery degradation) of these new Porsche battery packs as a function of number of charges and/or a function of time? Does anybody with an older S E-Hybrid Cayenne or Panamera have any information on this from experience?

(4) Seeing that news story today about the Panamera E-Hybrid that caught fire while charging at a home in Thailand, I'm wondering if there is any concern plugging such a vehicle into a normal 120-volt home outlet overnight regularly?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/deta...ional/30341102

Thanks!

Presumably the battery would go flat if the engine wasn't on or at least usage would be short term,, if the engines on to allow the alternator to keep the battery charged to play the radio doesn't that defeat the idea of having an electric powered car ? I guess they wouldn't allow the car to run the risk of a flat 12v battery leading to a none starting car if no electric charge available to run on.

I have never charged anywhere other than home and work or on the move. Especially as in UK they have introduced a charge now, its no longer subsidised by the Govt.
I did a 2000 mile trip across France in my SE-H , wasn't a big issue I just put on charge mode when no juice left. I am not the sort to plan a trip around chargers, certainly on the limited range of a hybrid.
Only had mine 30months so didn't notice any loss of efficiency, and I would say unless it was drastic you wouldn't notice due to their being so many variables why it might be used up before all was gone, such as weather temp, hills up or down, braking, stop starts, heavy foot, heated seats Plus the range is from your previous driving I think, so can often change as soon as you set off on a new journey, just like with petrol speculative range. So really if it said 20 and you got 15 would you notice it ? Maybe if you did 10 from 20 range.
I have been to Asia many times for 3-4 weeks and car just set off as soon as back to the airport without any issue, I didn't notice any change in the battery miles available from leaving it at the airport to collecting it.

Cant help on this one. UK warranty on the battery is/was 7 years when I bought mine - just increased from 5so wasn't a concern for me, don't know if different in USA.

In Thailand, maybe a dodgy wiring set up ? My partners from South East Asia, not Thai, but similar, and the wiring in some places leaves a lot to be desired is a polite way of saying it.
I doesn't bother me at all, I left my car plugged in all weekend and didn't use it, and even had to clear the snow off the socket area this morning.
Its a risk, but ask the Vauxhall (aka GMC) Zafira drivers about their cars spontaneously combusting whilst driving, etc.
Compared to the number of electric vehicles sold the percentage of fires must be ridiculously low.
In UK we had an i3 set on fire. .Didn't a Tesla do it once too?I cant recall any others - and generally these this are reported on an international basis.

All valid questions, but as an owner of two current models and previously 2 S-EH models (mine and biz partners)I have confidence in buying more in the future, of any brand.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:07 AM
K777
Racer

have you seen them side by side (pdls+ black vs. pdls "normal)? is the glass of the light darker or the inside life of the light darker?

as with you, i dont care about pdls - just want cool lights for a white car :-)
Only seen normal lights in a showroom, I felt the greyish surround looked a bit cheap to, but both my cars have been white with all the black bits, on my previous car I even had all the side and rear logos painted black, looked great and unique, but I was pleased when it was an option on the new gen.

Search out on Porsche approved car locator, Porsche Hatfield UK, 970 SE Hybrid, the one with 38074 miles, that's my old car, how good do the lights look !! And look at the logos on the back too. (cant get a link to work)
Actually looks like they have reduced it, I had a big argument with them and actually got £46k in p/ex, so its a total bargain.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 AM
rsyed
Racer

Only seen normal lights in a showroom, I felt the greyish surround looked a bit cheap to, but both my cars have been white with all the black bits, on my previous car I even had all the side and rear logos painted black, looked great and unique, but I was pleased when it was an option on the new gen.

Search out on Porsche approved car locator, Porsche Hatfield UK, 970 SE Hybrid, the one with 38074 miles, that's my old car, how good do the lights look !! And look at the logos on the back too. (cant get a link to work)
Actually looks like they have reduced it, I had a big argument with them and actually got £46k in p/ex, so its a total bargain.
but would you say the black PDLS+ lights are "dark" because of the dark glass or because of dark interior bits and pieces in the light behind the glass?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:25 AM
K777
Racer

but would you say the black PDLS+ lights are "dark" because of the dark glass or because of dark interior bits and pieces in the light behind the glass?
The glass isn't darker, its just the internal plastic surround/interior bits
Old 03-19-2018, 08:28 AM
rsyed
Racer

The glass isn't darker, its just the internal plastic surround/interior bits
excellent - thank you for the information... scary to spend so much money for tinted lights, though no other car maker offers such an option... exclusivity has its price :-)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:37 AM
K777
Racer

excellent - thank you for the information... scary to spend so much money for tinted lights, though no other car maker offers such an option... exclusivity has its price :-)
It is, and I used the PDSL+ only a few times, cost per use was high.
But I have done the same on the new one.
I sacrificed full leather and its fine, and didn't go with memory seats as only I drive it anyway.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM
rsyed
Racer

It is, and I used the PDSL+ only a few times, cost per use was high.
But I have done the same on the new one.
I sacrificed full leather and its fine, and didn't go with memory seats as only I drive it anyway.
great thanks....

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread