Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 05:18 PM
hueydumps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the letter last night saying May at earliest. Talked to my SA and because my current car lease is done in March he said he would put me in a car for the time being until my E hybrid was in. So I guess that’s not a bad option. I’m hoping they can get this thing approved and it doesn’t keep slipping… it reminds me of a delayed flight that keeps getting bumped back and is eventually canceled!
Old 12-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KW411
Just talked to my SA and he says in Canada the 2018 Cayenne Hybrid just been released by the government and he is hoping Panamera will be next.........
That's exactly what my guy said a while ago (post #487) but from my experience the Porsche dealerships are the last to know what's going on, Porsche Germany doesn't keep them up to speed.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:09 PM
elpookie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys... I just purchased a CPO 2012 S Hybrid. I love the car but sometimes i want the engine to always stay on, even at stops. All I can find is about the button with an "A" and a circle around it, but I can't find the button in my 2012. How can I have the engine stays on when I want it to and have it go back to auto-off when I want it to. It's a porsche, I do want to hear the exhaust sometimes at a stop.

Thanks for your help on this.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi to my fellow Panamera enthusiasts. I am a 62 year old retiree and looking to have fun with this new hobby. I have driven Buicks, Cadillacs, Mercedes Benz, Jaguars, and Audi's. I am new to the forum and I have been reading this thread as I am very close to ordering my 4 E-Hybrid Executive model. For several months now, I have been reviewing the options and going back and forth with how far I want to go with my build. The input from this forum has been a big help, thanks. Here are a few of my questions that you may be of further help. As of now, I am locked in on the volcano gray metallic with the 21" Turbo Design wheels. I am leaning toward the SportDesign Package along with Premium Package Plus and the Assistance Package. I have several other options I am in favor of, but here is where I could use some feedback to help finalize my decisions.
A) Does the standard door sill come with illumination? There is an option for carbon fiber illuminated door sills ($1,380). Is this required for illumination?
B) Is there any opinions on the tinted tail lights? At $840, does this enhance the overall look?
C) Should I be concerned with the Thermally and Noise Insulated glass interfering with my EZ Pass toll paying transponder?
D) If I get the Rear Seat Entertainment Preparation ($420), Does anyone know what it would cost to get the complete system after the fact? The difference is $2,210 and I was wondering if that is an expense I can defer to later.
E) I am struggling with the $3,490 cost for the Sports Exhaust Option. I have read many opinions, but without actually having experienced the difference, should this be a must?
F) I have read about and saw YouTube video on the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) and Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus). I have not seen where this can be added to the build and what it actually costs. Is this an available option for this model? Does anyone know the cost or how to specify it in a build?
I look forward to your feedback and opinions. Thanks in advance. TJ
Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll cherry-pick the items that I know, lol...

B) Tinted tail lights: It's an option item I had an itchy trigger on too, but at the end of the day I didn't think it was worth the money (yeah I know $840 option on a $140k car is a drop in the bucket but oh well). But also, I'm ordering mine in chalk, and while the difference is subtle on any color, I think it looks more distinct, i.e., blends better with darker colors.
E) I have PSE on my 991.1 C2S Cabrio and love it! ...but won't be ordering it on my ST e-Hybrid. Those that already have it might offer a better take on this, but my feeling is that my 911 is a normally aspirated engine, and the Panny is a turbo hybrid. Now if they made some vroom-vroom noises with the PSE WHILE the car ran on only the e-motor, now that's a parlor trick I'd pay for! I did check the box for the black quad pipes for $900.
F) PDCC is included with the e-Hybrid owing to the fact that the car is 700~800 lbs. heavier than the non hybrids and Porsche felt it should be included as standard in order to manage the additional mass better. Dunno about the PTV Plus. BTW, also included is the Sport Chrono package that is additional on other models.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

lbcgolf, thanks for the insight.
On Item B), I think I will have to try to see the two side by side. My decision will not be based on price/cost as much as How I think it looks. I do agree that the tinted look will probably be better on the darker Volcano Gray color.
Item E), Again, I will try to experience the PSE to see how I feel about the sound. I am leaning away form getting it. But I like your idea of the growl while in e-motor mode. You may be on to something. If I do not get the SportDesign Package I will opt for the quad pipes as you did. I will probably go with Silver to contrast the dark color.
Item F), I believe the PDCC is included with the Turbo E-Hybrid and maybe the Sport Turismo e-Hybrid, but I do not believe it is standard with the 4 E-Hybrid. Not sure where you click to select it or how much it costs......
Yes, I realize the Sort Chrono is included, pleased with that.
Again, thanks for your help.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:54 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Oops! Got PDCC confused with PASM. It comes with PASM standard. Sorry.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:10 AM
hueydumps
Intermediate

As of right now Porsche is not allowing to spec the e-hybrid with the sports exhaust. Mine was spec’d w it and when it was built last month Porsche took it off mid-production. Kind of frustrating. Also, not sure your timing but the US cars aren’t scheduled to be released until April/May bc of EPA certification. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks, huey. I pretty much am ruling out the PSE as of now. I think I could use that money elsewhere. Thanks for the good luck wishes. As many times as I have been going through the builds and adding and subtracting and second guessing, I will be glad when this part of the fun is over. I am not in a hurry for a car, but I am sure I will be counting the days for this car once it is ordered. I sure hope the tax credit is valid for tax year 2018!!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM
hueydumps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Thanks, huey. I pretty much am ruling out the PSE as of now. I think I could use that money elsewhere. Thanks for the good luck wishes. As many times as I have been going through the builds and adding and subtracting and second guessing, I will be glad when this part of the fun is over. I am not in a hurry for a car, but I am sure I will be counting the days for this car once it is ordered. I sure hope the tax credit is valid for tax year 2018!!
tax credit was kept in for 2018 tax plan
Old 01-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the GOOD NEWS, Huey
Old 01-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

tax credit was kept in for 2018 tax plan

Is the tax credit available for INDIVIDUALS, as well as businesses?
Old 01-08-2018, 04:36 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 pence:

A) No
B) Yes, especially if you get the black pipes also.
C) Not able to advise.
D) I think just the cost of the hardware plus maybe a bit of installation time - cannot imagine it is much more. The tablets just slot into the back of the seats (which is what needs doing). It's a really neat system - highly recommend it.
E) I would have specced if it was available when I bought. That said, the standard exhaust burbles nicely and now it is a retrofit option (or will be next month) I just cannot bring myself to spend £2,500 on making the exhaust louder...
F) Personally I wouldn't waste money on it - the car handles well, is sure footed and balanced. OK it is heavy but 9/10 I cannot see needing any additional chassis magic being of noticeable use. All useful stuff for a 911 that you are going to track but otherwise cannot see the cost benefit analysis stacking up.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:42 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Hi to my fellow Panamera enthusiasts. I am a 62 year old retiree and looking to have fun with this new hobby. I have driven Buicks, Cadillacs, Mercedes Benz, Jaguars, and Audi's. I am new to the forum and I have been reading this thread as I am very close to ordering my 4 E-Hybrid Executive model. For several months now, I have been reviewing the options and going back and forth with how far I want to go with my build. The input from this forum has been a big help, thanks. Here are a few of my questions that you may be of further help. As of now, I am locked in on the volcano gray metallic with the 21" Turbo Design wheels. I am leaning toward the SportDesign Package along with Premium Package Plus and the Assistance Package. I have several other options I am in favor of, but here is where I could use some feedback to help finalize my decisions.
A) Does the standard door sill come with illumination? There is an option for carbon fiber illuminated door sills ($1,380). Is this required for illumination?
B) Is there any opinions on the tinted tail lights? At $840, does this enhance the overall look?
C) Should I be concerned with the Thermally and Noise Insulated glass interfering with my EZ Pass toll paying transponder?
D) If I get the Rear Seat Entertainment Preparation ($420), Does anyone know what it would cost to get the complete system after the fact? The difference is $2,210 and I was wondering if that is an expense I can defer to later.
E) I am struggling with the $3,490 cost for the Sports Exhaust Option. I have read many opinions, but without actually having experienced the difference, should this be a must?
F) I have read about and saw YouTube video on the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) and Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus). I have not seen where this can be added to the build and what it actually costs. Is this an available option for this model? Does anyone know the cost or how to specify it in a build?
I look forward to your feedback and opinions. Thanks in advance. TJ
So I am in the situation that some other US posters are in with 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid sitting at the San Diego port since 9/15 awaiting EPA certification. My opinions on your questions:
A. I believe all the door sills are illuminated but not positive.
B. My car is also Chalk so the tinted tail lights didn't appeal to me. Personally I think the standard lights look great.
C. I gave a lot of thought to the thermal glass but I have a similar concern as your's since I'm having my Valentine Radar Detector installed at the top of the windshield and didn't want to impact it's reception. Car seems plenty quiet as is from the 4S demo I drove.
D. I didn't opt for the rear seat entertainment as I don't plan to be transporting kids very often and adult passengers can enjoy my music or talk to me.
E. Sports exhaust was way too expensive in my opinion. If it actually added some power that would be different but just for sound couldn't justify it. Besides, as AJ said, the standard exhaust sounds pretty good.
F. I don't think PDCC or PTV Plus is offered on the E-Hybrid, but again I'm not sure about that.

Many of us whose cars are stuck in port are thinking about cancelling and reordering a 2019. My dealer has been very accommodating so I am hanging in and hoping it will be certified before May. A few things to consider:
1. The IRS has approved the $6670 tax credit (real money, not a deduction!) for the 2018 model but there is no guarantee it will be approved for the 2019 model. The House tax bill was eliminating all tax credits for plug in hybrids but fortunately the reconciled version left it in. 2019 could be a different story.
2. Given the EPA is on the war path with VW/Porsche, chances are the 2019 will go through similar delays again, although probably not as bad.
3. PCNA is giving three years free maintenance and a $2500 credit on the 2018 model delay. I don't think they will carry that over if we cancel and reorder a 2019 model. Since the first year is free anyway, I estimate the two years free maintenance is worth about $1500 so $4000 total.
4. You should be able to get your dealer to give you additional discount because of the delays if your car is sitting at the port for 6 months or more.

Just my opinion. I have been extremely frustrated and disappointed with the delays and voiced my frustrations many times on this forum. At this point I'm resigned to see how the car looks and if the fully charged battery actually shows a 30 mile range when I go to pick it up. It is looks okay and the battery is okay, I will most likely accept the car. Hopefully May is conservative but given the track history I'm skeptical.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Wow, Saratoga and AJ, thanks so much for taking the time to give me your feedback, much appreciated. I must say, I have thought that maybe I should wait for 2019, not sure what changes, if any, will be done to the '19's.... I would hate to miss the tax credit and not sure that I would get the extra years of maintenance if I were ordering now and not subject to the extreme delays that you guys have endured. It has to be painful and I feel for you. It is assuring to know that PCNA is making some kind of concessions. I am asking to meet with the local dealer here in Pittsburgh to ask him the relevant questions to see how I should move forward with that.

A) From the many videos I saw of the cars on YouTube, I do not believe the sills are illuminated. Not a showstopper for me, but my current Audi does have them and I grew accustomed to them. I doubt that I would put out the $1,380 to have them.
B) I am pretty much locked into Volcano Gray and I think the darker tail lights may look good. However, AJ, I am leaning toward the Silver Quad pipes.
C) The tinted glass is on my list to review with the Dealer. I am hoping to see with and without side by side to help me decide. I have not considered a radar detector, but maybe I should. Is the Valentine brand recommended?
D) Not sure I will get the Rear seat entertainment, but I think the $420 for prep now is worth it in case I do decide. I was just wondering what the after the fact cost would be in case that sways me to get it now.
E) I pretty much decided that the PSE is out. Thanks for both of your feedbacks.
F) I probably agree that the PDCC and PTV is not necessary, but from the videos and how good that they make it sound, I want to do my due diligence to see if it is an option I should consider.

So, I must say that the feedback so far has helped a lot. After I meet with the dealer and come to some final decisions, I will keep you posted and give you my build rundown. I must say, as pain staking as this is, it has been fun learning. I look forward to reading about your pending delivery in the very near future, good luck....

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread