Panamera 2010-Current

Something is smoking when in Sport Plus Mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Sean Busby
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is smoking when in Sport Plus Mode

I have a new to me GTS that I've been driving quite a bit. I put on about 600 miles a week, and have had it three weeks. I am really enjoying the car.

I have noticed only when I'm in Sport Plus mode, that something is smoking. It is coming from the driver's side front wheel / headlight area only. I opened the hood and did my best to crawl under it, but I don't notice any plastic that looks damaged. I'm assuming that when it gets lowered in Sports Plus mode, that something is making contact with the headers, but it doesn't make sense to me.

With the amount I drive, I would notice this if it was a constant problem, but last night it was in Sports Mode for literally 2 corners and when I came to a stop, it was smoking.

I'm going to take it into the dealership this week, but was wondering if anyone might have insight on what could possibly me moving and making contact.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:54 PM
P. Viby
Advanced

Car monted with spacers or with rims that are NOT original ?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Sean Busby
AutoX

It is 100% stock with the 20"s.

I just left it running for a bit in the lowered mode. Let it get up to operating temperature and didn't notice anything. Could smell something getting hot, but wasn't able to identify anything.

Since it's in sport plus mode and it shifts down and more aggressively, it couldn't be the clutch, could it? I wasn't being that harsh on it at all.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:26 PM
P. Viby
Advanced

I would not suspect the clutch right away to be the course. What happens if you without driving the car put it in sport plus and wait for it to get warm ?

Did you use launch control a lot when driving it in sport plus ?

Does it smell like burned oil, plastic or rubber ?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Sean Busby
AutoX

I've never used launch control. If I let it sit there without moving, I can slightly smell it, but wasn't able to see anything. Last night, it looked like the color of burning oil, but to me smells like a plastic burning.

I'm going to go drive it in a bit to see if I can replicate it. I was wondering if it was something spilled on the headers by a dealership, but that would do it in all modes, not just sport plus.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Sean Busby
AutoX

Does anyone else have this problem? Does your car ever smoke if driven a little harder, even for a short period of time?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:00 PM
balazskontes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sean Busby
Does anyone else have this problem? Does your car ever smoke if driven a little harder, even for a short period of time?
no issues with mine. Have you tried to test the air suspension in sport plus mode by itself? Could it be the suspension by itself, when it's in sport plus mode only, I.e. Lowered?
Old 03-10-2016, 10:10 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

No issues w/ mine either and I only drive in S+. (4000 miles since new)
Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 AM
balazskontes
Intermediate

mine now has 4k miles, and I've started to sense something similar that you're describing. It happens in Sport + mode when you're changing gears above 3,500-4,000 rpm. I can't put my finger on it, whether it is unburned fuel from too rich fuel, or oil consumption. It's definitely not a clear plastic smell from rubbing.

Have you had it checked out by the dealer? Would love to know what they said?
Old 12-01-2018, 06:20 PM
rap
Racer

While getting an inspection I was informed that I had a slight leak in my cv boot. Wonder if this is the cause of my smell. Anyone else run into this?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:08 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

It is 100% stock with the 20"s.

I just left it running for a bit in the lowered mode. Let it get up to operating temperature and didn't notice anything. Could smell something getting hot, but wasn't able to identify anything.

Since it's in sport plus mode and it shifts down and more aggressively, it couldn't be the clutch, could it? I wasn't being that harsh on it at all.
the clutch is a wet clutch, so if you're smell clutch you have a very serious problem! tranny would most likely be dead as they share the same oil - So doubt it is the clutch
odd problem, lowering is the only physical difference that I know of, so it really does point to something rubbing, but what and why?

have you tried just lowering the car and leaving it in granny mode?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:59 AM
TRM04
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Was there a resolution?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:53 AM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

Leaves? I blew some leaves out from under my car once and blew some between the Cat and the heat shield. I’m think sport plus also changes the way the oil separator which is on the drivers side, works might want to check to see if any oil is leaking. Oil change recently? Sport plus may boost oil pressure. You have a full underbody aero tray so that might be masking any leaks.

Quick Reply: Something is smoking when in Sport Plus Mode