Panamera 2010-Current

advice on panamera

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:54 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on panamera

I have a 911, but looking at a panamera, since it I need a larger vehicle.
I have noticed that the depreciation curve is very different from a 911
I am looking at a 2014 CPO car for daily drive

1. is this car a daily driver?
2. any issues with 20" on potholes, etc?
3. Any blind spot issues (back view not great!)
Old 11-21-2015, 10:54 PM
retiredandhappy
1st Gear

We recently purchased a 2013 Panamera base with 20,000 miles. We have driven it daily and just recently completed a cross country trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to Savannah Georgia. Love the comfort, handling, and space. By the way, we also have a 2006 Carerra 4 that we also drove across country, with much more judicious packing! We love both vehicles, but the Panamera can't be beat for comfort and handling. The 20" tires are more prone to roughness than 19" tires and, yes, pot holes are more of a danger to the lower profile tires. Blind spot is directly behind - be certain to get the back up camera! Definitely get a CPO as there is a lot in these vehicles that can go wrong. Why not keep the 911 and pick up a Panamera??
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Ad0911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

I am also looking into Panamera's and was wondering about the problems to look out for. This forum is not very extensive (unlike the 928 forum) so please can you give a list of possible pitfalls?
Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2014 PTT that was CPOed. It is an awesome daily driver - I consolidated two cars into one - and SQ5 and M3 - and could not be happier. I live in the northeast where we have tons of potholes - I'm less worried than I was before as I think that the Porsche suspension is more forgiving.

My car has a the all-around camera and lane change assist and I have had no problems. I strongly recommend both options. The other option that my car has which has turned out to be awesome is adaptive cruise control - it is an excellent feature for long cruises.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:57 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have been driving 911's for many years (currently a MY16 RS) and just got into a Panamera GTS (new, MY15) and I really like it. (My folks prefer it over any other heavy metal I have...) However, it's obviously a very different beast.

If you can, I'd keep both. The Panam is, as mentioned above, very comfortable and the performance is more than respectable. However, you can feel the heft and it's certainly not as responsive.

Re potholes, I also live in the Northeast but given that I barely put a thousand miles on it, I could not give you a very good answer. That said, the air suspension does a great job of smoothing out road irregularities.

You can also look at it this way: most alternatives you might consider will also come with 19's or 20's. If you are concerned about damaging rims, swap the 20's for 19's for winter driving. It will be better for the tires anyway.

Happy driving.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 PM
murdog
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had a couple 911's but have always had a sedan as a DD. Got rid of a C4S for my 14' Panamera TT and don't regret it a minute. The PTT is like a swiss army knife. Casual highway cruiser or nasty light to light dragster. I live in midwest and we get a fair amount of snow/ice. I got a set of Spyder wheels and Blizzak snow tires and it performs as well as my Silverado 4x4 (unless the snow gets way deep). Car puts a smile on my face every time i drive it. Definitely try to find one with sport exhaust. Car sounds way better than my dad's 15' 911 Turbo S. Backup camera with 3D is very good and helps with blind spot. Lance change assist works well too.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 PM
sambb
Instructor

with the new panamera announcing soon, i wonder about resale..
Old 11-23-2015, 11:23 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

As someone else mentioned, depreciation on these cars is always substantial. However, if you buy a MY14 CPO, then most of that will be behind you. A new design that's more evolutionary than anything else will probably not change the curve much.

Just my $0.02.

And to be clear, I just got into one and carefully weighed these factors. What won me over was the driving when I had a chance to test one on the track in AL. I'd have given it 85% of a C2S...

Quick Reply: advice on panamera