Panamera 2010-Current

GPS/Navigation went ballistic, off by several miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 PM
gr8vision
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GPS/Navigation went ballistic, off by several miles

In my 2011 Panamera 4 the GPS/Navigation went crazy in the past weeks - despite generally working and showing maps, movement, it shows me about 10 miles off of the real location.

The system version is 2.2. When checking how many satellites it is feeding off, it shows "0" (zero). The GPS/satellite antenna seems to be fine. The car is in good condition, there are no error codes showing up, no damage to the antenna.

What can be the reason? Is it a loose connection, as Carrera and other Porsche cars experience (they found that the GPS connection came loose after the pollen filter was changed - in Panamera that's probably not the case, and I checked just in case, GPS wires are nowhere to be seen in the pollen filter compartment)? Or is there some other problem?

Finally, does anyone advise to update to the 2014 map (PCM 3.0/3.1)? It is $300, and I really don't want to spend that on some map update (at the dealer it's probably even more expensive).
Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 PM
gr8vision
7th Gear

Also, is there a way to reset or recalibrate the GPS/Nav system (without having to disconnect the car battery)? I did not find such options on my own or in the manual.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

This is very clearly a dealer issue, or alternately a well-qualified independent mechanic. An easy user fix seems unlikely.

As for why you're seeing what you're seeing, GPS location is about ultra-high precision timing. The receiver looks at signals from various satellites, compares their declared times, and computes your distance from each satellite based on the transmission lag from that satellite. Which means it depends, no kidding, on the speed of light.

Lightspeed is 186,000 miles/second. A 10 mile error is a 50 microsecond error. 10 meter accuracy, which is what we expect, requires 30 nanosecond precision. No conventional internal electronic clock is that accurate, so there's no calibration issue to fix, it's getting that information new every time it listens to the satellites, which use radioactive decay ("atomic") clocks.

My guess? They'll just pull the entire GPS receiver and replace it.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:13 PM
gr8vision
7th Gear

Question

thank you, but does anyone know what could have caused this, though? The GPS/Nav is working - but it is not picking up any satellites, and is off by 10 or so miles from the real location. Doesn't that mean that some connection or wire is off somewhere?

I will definitely take it to the dealer, but any pointers would help to save time and money at the dealer.

Also, is the most up-to-date system version 2.20 for a 2011 Panamera 4, or is there a more updated one (e.g., 2.23 that some members report)?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:01 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can your PCM show time at the lower right corner of the screen? If it can only show outside temperature, then you do not have the updated PCM version.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:32 PM
abnormalkit
1st Gear

gr8vision, were you able to fix this? I am having the same issue on my Panamera. Took it to the dealership twice, changed the antenna and they still couldn't get it to work.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:20 PM
bebeqq1231
AutoX

Default Same issue with my GPS

Did you fix the issue? My car has the same issue starting yesterday. Please help!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:56 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2010 Panamera 4S had a nav system that just simply locked up several years ago. I drove 100 miles to San Diego one evening to a concert. Nav worked fine all the way there. Driving home that evening, the nav still showed me parked in San Diego. I rebooted the nav; turned the car on and off; nothing worked. The car remained (according to the Nav) parked in San Diego for a few days after I returned home. Then, one morning, it was working properly again. My dealer was never able to diagnose it and the problem never occurred again.

Gremlins? Evil spirits? Was I hallucinating? Who knows.

DMoore
'16 RS7
Old 04-25-2023, 06:32 PM
Ricman
1st Gear

Default Porsche Panamera loosing satelites

I see other have had the same problem as me; My 2011 Porsche Panamera 4 occationaly looses its position and no satelites are to be found. After having locked and left the car for some time it sometimes finds the satelites when starting up the car again. This is an extremely annoying error and Porsche does not seem to have any solution for this, neither does it seem they know about this problem. Did anyone find any solution to this?
Thanks for any reply!

Quick Reply: GPS/Navigation went ballistic, off by several miles