PCM/GPS receiving no satellites

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM
ft015254
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PCM/GPS receiving no satellites

Hi Everyone,

I own a 997.1 Carrera 4 MY 2006 with a PCM 2.1. It worked fine until Saturday night. From Sundaw AM, it does get any satellites (in Status menu) and locates my car somewhere in the middle of the South Atlantlic ocean.

I did remove the PCM fuse for 24h, when restarted, the car was located near Stuttgart and then some seconds later moved it back to the ocean.

Does anyone has ever encountered such an issue and if yes what would be the solution.

I also tried 1-4-8 combination without much success.

The Porsche dealer advised to check the GPS antenna connection (though I hardly see how it can get loose). Does someone have pictures on how I can check this?

Hope someone can help.

R.

Philippe
Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sat Nav attenna is under the passenger side cowling. You might do a search on Sat Radio or Sirrus install to find picutres.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My suspicion is that the antenna leads came loose. Try taking up the plastic bits where the wiper blades part and look for the antenna module and check your connections. We had this problem in the past when windshields were replaced and techs were not too careful and they disturbed those areas.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 AM
ft015254
5th Gear

Default Pictures

Thanks all for the hints, I'm checking tomorrow night when I'm back Home. Would you know where I can find pictures of how to access the place. I did remove the battery cover easily, the tech told me the antenna is on the right-hand side of the car (ie left of the battery when facine the car)

Philippe
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 AM
ft015254
5th Gear

Default Fixed

Hi all,

Problem fixed, little trick though, even when it has 9-10 satellites, the PCM still has wrong coordinates, you need to move the car for about 10 yards and then, magic, it figures out the position and correctly displays the map.

The issue was indeed the two cables connecting the GPS antenna to the PCM being disconnected. This happened when it was serviced, the pollen filter is just below the two cables.

To fix, you need to remove the battery cover and the cover on the left-side of it (ie on the passenger/right side of the car). The antenna is just on top of the filter. There are two connections. One is floating cable to reconnect, that the easy part. The second one must be plugged into the antenna, that is a little bit harder but with a small mirror put on the pollen filter, you can easily see it.

Hope it will help someone else.

Once again, thank you for your help!

Philipppe
Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Basalt Black
2nd Gear

Hi,

Managed to find this thread in amongst searching for an answer to having this problem.

My nav stopped working about 4 weeks ago and in the status screen it says it is picking up no satellites. I took it to my local OPC and they said it was the GPS antenna, having booked it in to get the antenna fitted they phoned me to say it wasn't the antenna and I needed a new DVD nav drive, the bargain price of £1,000!!!

The nav currently thinks it is somewhere off the coast of Wales, and I am just north of London. It will plan a route fine so the dvd drive is reading the disc fine, it's just sitting in the wrong location.

I have tired doing the 148 reset and nothing. I have tried taking the fuses out for 10 mins and nothing. I have disconnected the battery for 30 mins and nothing, I just can not seem to kick it in to action.

I have just taken the fuse out to leave out overnight but otherwise I have no idea what is wrong, but I don't think the DVD drive is the problem so do no want to pay for a new one.

The only thing I notice above is that Phillipppe says there should be 2 cables for the GPS antenna where I have one, the one that goes through the loom to the back of the DVD drive. I have tested this cable and it works fine, and I can not see any other loose cables.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received.

BB
Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 AM
ft015254
5th Gear

Hi,

The 2 wires I was referring to are not those going to the DVD. They are connecting the antenna. The antenna is located on the right-hand side of the car (when sitting in the car), ie left-hand side when facing it ;-)

To access it, you need to remove the battery cover and the cover of the left side of it. You will then see the pollen filter, the antenna is just above it and you will see the two wires.

If you can't find out, I'll have a look over the week-end and send you pictures.

Good luck,

Phil
Old 07-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Basalt Black
2nd Gear

Hi Phil,

I have removed all the trim and actually taken the GPS antenna out but there is only 1 wire plugged in to it, and I can not see any loose wires that may have become unplugged.

Me and friend stripped took everything apart last weekend, I don't believe it is the antenna as the OPC tell me they have plugged another antenna in and it did not fix the fault.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 AM
keny
1st Gear

Have just reconnected the wires. Took only about 10 mins and after driving abt 10 yards, everything back to normal.

The main wire you need to worry about has a blue plastic head. the male side is located at the bottom of gps unit located above the cabin filter.

a tip, before you reconnect, drop a drop of oil (eg wd40) in it so that it wont corrodeand ensure good connection.

There was another wire on the other side but there was a platic clip on top of it to prevent it from coming loose.

I disconnected that too and added a drop of oil for good measure.

That might have been the antenna connection for the radio ?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 PM
schaef23
1st Gear

I just recently purchased a 911 and my navigation was working fine, but then today it went haywire. I stumbled upon this forum and was wondering how can you tell when the I have reconnected the cable? The cable I am trying to connect into the blue plastic head makes it extremely difficult to tell if it is actually connected.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 PM
lakespyder
Cruisin'

I am also having the same issue (Cayenne S w/PCM 2.1), my GPS thinks I am several hundred miles away and shows 0 satellites. I pulled the head unit and no GPS line connects there,and all connections are secure. The GPS line connects to the DVD drive, and that connection is solid. I pulled the rear spoiler (where the satellite receiver is located on the 05 Cayenne) and those connections are good. I unplugged the three connectors from the receiver while the satellite radio was on, and it shut off, then back on when I plugged them back in. I am open to suggestions as to what I should try next.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-24-2013, 07:57 AM
radek
AutoX

Same problem here 997.1 PCM 2.1, there is no satellites. Antenna and wires checked and everything looks ok.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:26 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for this thread.

Recently had my indy shop do the major maintenance cycle and looks like they didn't reconnect the antenna lead properly and I had 0 satellites. With the info here it took five minutes to find and reconnect the antenna. After a quick roll around the parking lot, all is well again.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Thanks for this thread.

Recently had my indy shop do the major maintenance cycle and looks like they didn't reconnect the antenna lead properly and I had 0 satellites. With the info here it took five minutes to find and reconnect the antenna. After a quick roll around the parking lot, all is well again.
Glad you got it resolved...but you have to wonder what in the major maintenance caused them to disconnect the antenna lead?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Glad you got it resolved...but you have to wonder what in the major maintenance caused them to disconnect the antenna lead?
Simple, they replaced the pollen filter while doing the other service. It's right below the GPS antenna connector and easier to get to if you unplug that lead. Also, that's where the installer fabbed a bracket for my 9500ci's GPS antenna. While he was finishing up, the shop guy probably got distracted by the non-standard bracket and missed the factory nav connection.

Quick Reply: PCM/GPS receiving no satellites