Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Ideal Tire Pressure - Panny GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013 | 09:27 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Default Ideal Tire Pressure - Panny GTS

gents - The car is in the garage...will be posting pics soon!

Anyway, on ride home, was noticing the tire pressure...seems like the "recommended" pressure for partial load ( typically will just be me in the car), is 40F and 37R...weird never before seen higher pressures in front as opposed to rear. The car still felt planted, but perhaps a tad light (not floaty). I checked the manual, and on the 20's, that is the recommendation...odd....

Curious, for those that have had the GTS for some time, what tire pressure levels have you found to be ideal for best handling /performance from the car. With prior porsche's, I always found that ideal pressures were never as indicated in the manual, so wanted to check in with others.

Thanks so much
Old 04-23-2013 | 08:26 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

In my '12 S, I didn't care for the recommended pressures at all, way too high and too firm. I adjusted it to the "comfort" settings but those are too low and the car understeers too much. So I'm somewhere in the middle now, I can't remember exactly but I think it's 38 all around. I do this with all of my cars - I don't follow the recommended pressures. I have to remember to tell the service guys not to mess with it whenever the car goes in for service, as they often put them back on the factory reccomendations.
Old 04-23-2013 | 08:27 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Oh - and:

a) congrats on the new car!
b) hurry up with those pictures!
c) we're not all gents here. There's at least one lady present.
Old 04-23-2013 | 08:38 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Thanks MJ....as always, appreciated I will likely drive the car for a few hundred miles with the recommended pressure until the car settles in, the tires scrub off some rubber, etc. I got the dreaded pirelli's, which likely are not helping. Loves me some Michelin Pilots, so likely will get those next.

pics posted in the "any new GTS owners in the house thread...."
Old 04-23-2013 | 09:49 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by cole328
I got the dreaded pirelli's, which likely are not helping.
My car has the Pirelli's as well, and they just don't seem to do as well as I'd like to think they should. Then I bought myself a 997 a few months ago, and for CPO the dealer put on three (yes, 3) new Pzeros, and so I made them put on a fourth one. They are really noisy on the 911. My fiance has the Pzero (also factory fitment) on her non-Porsche, and they're noisy on that car as well. I'm starting to hate them.

I hate to spend $1800 on a set of tires a couple of years before I need to put them on, but I'm seriously thinking about it, at least on the Panamera. I've been very happy with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in the past for the DD on my BMWs (replacing the runcraps). Here in NC (since I'm not in the mountains) we don't have winter tires, so I prefer something that works in warm and cold weather. Snow is not much of an issue.
Old 04-23-2013 | 11:13 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

I am S FL, so in same boat...weather not an issue if you endup switching the tires, let me know impressions I am stilll getting used to the car its awesome, but man, it feels so BIG....that going to take a few days to acclimate to I was recently in an M3 cinvertible,m and a 997S before that so, this is like a ship to me (right now)
Old 04-23-2013 | 11:40 AM
disden
Drifting

I am S FL, so in same boat...weather not an issue if you endup switching the tires, let me know impressions I am stilll getting used to the car its awesome, but man, it feels so BIG....that going to take a few days to acclimate to I was recently in an M3 cinvertible,m and a 997S before that so, this is like a ship to me (right now)
The "big" feeling will get better. The hardest thing to get used to initially is the front, hard to judge where things are. Trying to not scrape the bottom on curbs/parking blocks takes some getting used to, however soon will pass.
Old 04-23-2013 | 11:53 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

The car does feel big but the sensors w/ rear camera and LCA really helps a lot. I always feel the lanes aren't wide enough for the car when driving but it takes some getting used too.
The pressure felt too hard based on the recommendation. I have the Michelin Super Sports on my car and I am still trying to find the best comfort level. The car recommends 32 all around for comfort but that doesn't work either. I think it is too soft and I am currently trying 36 all around.
I have two nails in two of my tires currently and awaiting new tires to come in as they will be replaced by the dealer under tire insurance.
The super sports are a very good tire as I currently have them on my 997.2 also. They start out feeling a little rough but really start to get much smotther in about 400 miles. Unfortunately, my wife doesnt drive and the car only has 2600 miles on it. If I don't drive the car the tires would likely dry rot before they get used properly.
Old 04-24-2013 | 07:42 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the feedback Boxster....I'll experiment with the pressures once the car really breaks in....the 40F and 37 rear configuration seemed odd...I have never in any other sports car seen a config that had a tire pressure that was "higher" in the front than in the rear...so, for now, I guess I'll trust that Porsche really tests these cars in all types of configs...perhaps it is due to the bulk of the car and the tremendous weight in the front the higher pressure perhaps counters any understeer when only a "partial load"
Old 04-24-2013 | 08:57 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

I thought to look last night, and I'm running 42 psi all around. It seems to work pretty well for me, but then I like the car to be a little loose.
Old 04-24-2013 | 10:07 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

MJ - Are you showing 42 all around on the TPMS gauge on the car, or using a manual tire pressure gauge (as I typically check mine that way). anwya, I'll leave alone for now I guess.

Plus, I know my prior 997 was delivered from the dealer out of alignment spec (likely got knowcked around on the boat or something) The perceived lightness in the front could be that, so my plan is to let the car's parts "settle" in for the first 750 miles or so, and then have the dealer perform a re-alignment. So far tho, the car is sweet....just taking some getting used to (like a new girlfriend....ha)
Old 04-25-2013 | 02:16 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

MJ - Are you showing 42 all around on the TPMS gauge on the car, or using a manual tire pressure gauge (as I typically check mine that way).
My bad, it was 42 warm, it's really more like 38/39 cold (I checked today). I use a real gauge when I'm filling the tires, but use the car's TPMS to verify pressure every-so-often. I find that it's pretty darn accurate.
Old 04-25-2013 | 02:45 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Thanks MJ...I may try that in the coming weeks I am styill using the recommended cold of 40 front and37 rear (on my real gauge) As I am getting used to the size of the car, I a,m generally likling the pressures car handles quite well, but the size is a tad concerning I ccannot remotely see the front of the car, which is weird I am used to that 911/BMWm3 feeling, where you know exactly where the corners of the car are in this one so far, I am more like "I hope this is right" ha
Old 07-15-2018 | 01:52 PM
groningen
Rennlist Member

My 15 gts lists 42 front and 42 rear on the tire sticker inside the door yet the manual lists 31 for both in comfort at part load for 20" P zeros. None of this info matches. What are guys with similar units running?

Tx

Quick Reply: Ideal Tire Pressure - Panny GTS