Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:54 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Asfwp.
Whoa, I felt that the coolant pipe of my Panamera was an "unlucky isolated incident" !!
But, reading from you, it seems that the answer is no.
..So the "Engineers (and Doctors)" at the head office did not learnt that much from the Cayenne V8 chronically sicknesses ! (Our Cayenne did blow the pipes around 85k, ..pretty much at the same time the half shaft gave up too !).
May be we got a warning signal today : The German seems to becomes better on soccer ..than on engine cooling techniques !

Do we have other Panamera owners around here that had coolant pipe problem ?

By the way, these Panamera are real incredible Tourer's. Frankly, I have not driven any better grand Tourer. A lot of pleasure to drive it, the handling is a full 10 out of 10.
To call it Perfect, I would just have to get a manual one. (I still dislike big time PDK, and even more : the stupid clickers.)

When I was riding to the dealer in the cabin of the flat bed truck last week, I was talking to the driver, ..asking him questions.
For example, it was "his" second Panamera, the first one being a flat tire !
So, the score remains on the very good side. (It seems that BMW's are the cars he knows the best !!)
It is true that if you have a flat with a Panamera, you better have a cell phone connected and good contract with AAA or having a full warranty coverage (Porsche Roadside Assistance, ..CPO is "a must" again !!), because, with the OEM tools in board, I think, if you do not have a Nobel prize on Tire Fixings, ..you are quite in a bad shape !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-12-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Attention @Moderator : Thank you very-very much.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Looking at a post that I made above, I want to share this “one”, that is a bit “out of topic”, but, still, ..about the driving abilities of the Panamera, ..it could be a good one for all of us :

In French, we say sometime “one image = one thousand words”.

So, find below about 3’000 words :

When we face a situation as this photo, with as many cars on the road that you would see in a desert), you may have some temptations under your right feet.
Another photo, from the same location as above (near Mono Lake, on the “167”):

I’m sure, we have all seen this one :

Copyright = ? (..photo from the internet.)
If you are like me, in the past, thinking “..Well, a nice sign, very good for safety, but: who ever seen “that” in action ??”

It is true, as we all have our eyes on the road, ..and are not looking at the sky (when we drive, ..even, having sometime a “panorama roof”), you probably never seen that one :

Well, I did took this picture, in the Bay, West of the Palo Alto area, checking speed on the 280, and I can insure you that this is NOT a photoshop image, I personally took it (with a 300mm, and NOT when driving !) and you got it above, AS IS ! (Here, above the 280 : N537HP, a Cessna 182S Skylane)

PS : I edited the last of these 3 photos, ..to match the set and make it "vertical", so, now it looks like 3x strait lines.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 11-17-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Bad news : ..Currently innactive topic !
But a good news : the Mediteranean sea is pretty warm !
I could add that in the Italian roads, I did not saw any cars that looks like a Panamera !
Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

It's unfortunate there isn't much activity here. There's a bit more in the Panamera section of 6SpeedOnline, but it's nothing like the daily Cayman-related activity on Planet 9.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Yes, ..Panamera calm ! And in my side, before being out of town, I was not in the "Panamera mood”, as instead, I spent some time with my Boxster in Laguna Seca !

Yes, I sold my last 911, against a Panamera, but, missing the stick shift and the button that "removes" the roof, I bought an old Boxster (S).

Why a Boxster and no a 911 ?
About 30 years ago, I bought my first 911 (a SC), knowing that it was a "compromise". Having rear seats was a must. (Before this first 911, I had two BMW series 7!)
I always had the feel that any of my 911's were compromise cars, over a REAL sport car, that in my opinion, must have the engine at the "right" place, i.e.: in central position.
But, if you have a car that has its engine at the right place, ..then, it is quite hard to think about two seats in the back !
So, I went for 911’s, and again, and again..

Since I traded in my last 911 into a Panamera, when thinking DE or about an “escape”, the “space problem” of the rear seats was solved, somehow it was “natural” to me, that I went to a Boxster. And frankly, ..I have no regrets, as I like it more than very much.

I have posted the story of my Boxster in the 986 “chapter” (the title of the topic is about PIWIS and R1, as before I bought it, I asked for an ECU reading, and fund : ..a LOT of R1 !!!!), but, still I went for it !

Here is a duplicate of a photo, just to let you visualize here, “the king of R1” ..that let me still enjoying a gearbox with a stick and an open roof (here at turn #5, Laguna Seca) :

Or, all these explanations, to tell you that I think that the best replacement of a 911, ..is a Panamera plus a Boxster !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-14-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

We're going Panamera + Cayman S. I'm still somewhat apprehensive about the Panamera, but the Cayman has not disappointed.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:39 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

No doubt, a Cayman is probably a bit better than a Boxster (more rigid).
For me (it is very personal), I went for a Boxster instead of a Cayman, because I prefer to see the sky, ..than a roof !
It is very true that on track, this is not that good, as in case of "problem", you must never have the reaction to put hands "up" for head/body protection. Some drivers do adopt wrist attachments to prevent this human reaction. Also, some "barchetta" drivers are trying to cultivate the reaction to put your hands down and grab the lower points (over the legs) of the harness in case of any problem.
This is the down point of a convertible.
All to says that Boxster or Cayman ..are so good cars.
Much easier and nicer to drive than 911.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:06 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
...I went for a Boxster instead of a Cayman, because I prefer to see the sky, ..than a roof !
It is very true that on track, this is not that good, as in case of "problem", you must never have the reaction to put hands "up" for head/body protection. Some drivers do adopt wrist attachments to prevent this human reaction.
You'll see those "wrist attachments" on drivers in cars with a hardtop as well. They are often called wrist restraints, and you may be right about why they're there, but I've always thought that they were there to keep the arms and hands out of the window in the event of a rollover. This is why so many race cars have window nets - to keep body parts inside the car.

Another reminder of how dangerous HPDE (and racing) can be.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Yes, the wrist restrains, is a kind of helmet for your hands in case of roll over.
We asked ourselves that question many times, being on tracks with different Lotus, i.e.: do we remove the roof with this nice weather? and on that question, I allways had a positive answer, even if the bad question about "Captain Hook" was in the air !
I think in case of problem, a top roof like the Exige, or like a Boxster skin hard top, if you flip, it does not represent a real safety device.

Yes, driving a car on track do represent some dangers, like any sports does. I have done a lot of skiing in my life (even some races with the university team)' ..and this is dangerous too. (See, the horrible accident of Michael Schumacher !)
Basicaly, even staying in your bed in California could be dangerous too !

So, lets have pleasures and doing the sports we like, and takes some basic safety actions, like helmet, etc..

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 11-13-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:22 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

About a year and half since my first post in this topic, ..and 20'000 miles driven, here is what I think :
The Panamera 4S is a fantastic car, ..except PDK, that is to my opinion, is simply a BAD thing.
(Only good for Porsche to pay less taxes, but nothing else.)

In my case, this is a major point to have Porsche loosing me as customer, this, when currently I own 3 P cars.
I want to change MY gears when I want, not let this job/decision being taken by a computer.

I can add that my next car is for sure NOT going to be a Panamera 4S. (With a 6 cylinders turbo : no way Jose.)
May be a Panamera GTS, (and I will continue to express my gripe about PDK) or may be a Tesla "D".

I'm still dreaming that Porsche would bring back a manual transmission on GTS as an option, as, if this would be true, I would place an order ..right away.
If not, chances that I would do a "plus 1" for Mr. Elon Musk, as I'm sure an electric motor will do a much better job than the computer driving the PDK.
I think the above summarize what I think after a year and half and 20'000 miles with my P4S.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-22-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

After driving a few months with a Panamera S e Hybrid, I find I'm not caring so much about manual shifting. It's a ZF-8 transmission due to the hybrid powertrain, which precludes PDK, but the controls are the same and you'd assume the gear-shift software is similar.

I thought for sure that I'd be sticking the car in manual all the time, but I found it impossible to shift correctly from a standing start. 1st gear is just really, really low, and it hits the rev limit almost immediately. I think it's possible to mess with the gears at higher speeds, but I don't find myself really needing to.

You've mentioned that you don't like Sports+ mode. I do. It's easily as aggressive in shifting as I could want. I'm not sure if the difference here is the transmissions (ZF-8 vs. PDK), or if it's purely personal preferences. I'm perfectly happy with the lowered, stiffer ride as well.

As for the Tesla - you do know the Tesla only has one gear ratio, right? There's no shifting by you or the computer.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I thought for sure that I'd be sticking the car in manual all the time, but I found it impossible to shift correctly from a standing start. 1st gear is just really, really low, and it hits the rev limit almost immediately.
I had the same issue. The PDK was the primary reason that I got rid of the car.

As for the Tesla - you do know the Tesla only has one gear ratio, right? There's no shifting by you or the computer.
That's one of the beauties of the Tesla. Phenomenal torque everywhere and anywhere, no shifting, none of that nonsense of being in the wrong gear and waiting for a downshift!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:30 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Oh yes, I do know. Btw, it did cost almost two years and one CEO to Tesla (before Mr. Musk) to discover after trying multiple gearbox manufaturers with no success to be able to build a "2 gearbox" able to carry the torque (of the Roadster at that time). ALL of them did fail.
Then they discover that ..this was simply not needed at all !

I do not like PDK because it change gears instead of myself, but because it does change when I think it is not the good time for me.
If nothing needed to be changed, ..then no problem !

Beside that, the Panamera 4S (the "old one", with a V8) ..is a fabulous car.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-21-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:32 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

..Last weekend, another Tour, with the Grand Tourer : SFO to Central Coast and back.
Driving on one of the nicest road that I know : PCH1, between Big Sur and Cambria,
(California, you are so beautiful.)

As you can observe on the photos, ..a lot of traffic on this BEAUTIFUL road, during the week-end !!
Such a pleasure to travel on this incredible road.

Forgot to mention, on such kind of tour, 500 miles, with probably 30% in Sport Plus, rest in "normal", all with only one single gas tank, i.e.: refill after return, with 25 gallons.
Again, this V8 has really a fantastic efficiency and offer a super great handling.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 11-17-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !