Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Returning to panamera from 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

PS. Not a fan of black wheels only because the detail blends away and then they look like big black areas to me with no detail.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have decided on Platinum Silver, with the 20" Turbo II wheels ....... ballz

Last edited by cole328; 08-30-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 PM
keithos27
Racer

I've had a silver car for the past 10.5 years, otherwise I'd seriously consider GT silver... Beautiful color
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM
keithos27
Racer

Originally Posted by keithos27
Agreed! I'm torn between two color combos at the moment:

- White with blacked-out exterior and Turbo II wheels and Sport Design Kit and PCCB with black interior and either Guards Red seat belts and deviated stitching (or white deviated stitching and black belts)
- Black or Basalt Back with Cognac natural leather and maybe black deviated stitching (still with Turbo IIs, PCCB, and Sports Design Kit). Cant decide on aluminum or black for trim though with this color combo.

One is sportier while the other is more "luxury"... I like the way the black pieces contrast against the white exterior... sometimes I "worry" the black exterior blends in too much.
Here's the white one from the exterior:

Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,154 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
As always, thanks for the update. I am 95% going to get this car in a few months when my lease is up. Couple of follow-up questions:
OK, here are the responses to your questions:

1. I would absolutely get all the panels painted to match exterior, overall a much nicer/cleaner look, especially in white. My prior PTT had all panels painted, even the grills up front--it looked really cool. With the GTS, as I said before the blacked out panels look really nice up close, but from afar looks stange, like they were an after thought.

2. I really dont like the servotronic. After a few weeks I am trying to get used to it, but I just find it stange. I feel like I am driving a Lincoln because at low speeds the steering is way to light, feels more like a video game because there is ZERO feedback. I guess its just personal preference, but so far I am not a fan. Plus, I really don't do alot of city driving/parking where this feature might be most helpful.

3. One benefit of the Plat Silver I have found is that the car never looks dirty! On the Carrara White I was washing the thing all the time to keep it nice looking. Dirt and dust seem to just blend into the silver.

Certainly in hindsight the steering and the panels are the only 2 issues that I would change on this amazing vehicle. I was really close to ordering one to spec, but I just fell across the one I purchased that had only 264 miles and they threw in the CPO with the deal, so for the warranty I couldnt resist. Already getting close to 2K miles, so can let it rip soon!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:46 AM
disden
Drifting

You can hear a whining noise when driving the Panamera (I believe only 4 wheel drive models have been affected). There are a few threads on this...
Amazingly this noise does disappear by closing the middle passenger side vent. Stange. I drove 150 miles yesterday and it never bothered me. Previous drives it was horribly annoying.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 AM
keithos27
Racer

Disden, what are your thoughts on having a GTS vs the Turbo?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Disden....sounds like this car is a winner all around. I have had two black cars last, so def leaning toward the silver (your comments also helpinf to persuade me that way). Also, the big plus, is that my wife loves the car, which means that she will not bust ballz when she sees how large the lease payment is going to be :-) Also, I forgot if I asked already...did you gt the PDCC? Not all that many curved roads here in FL, but enough to make my morning commute interesting. From what I have read, this is a nice to have option on this car.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 PM
disden
Drifting

Disden, what are your thoughts on having a GTS vs the Turbo?
While both in comfort mode for everyday driving around town or commuting on the highway the 2 cars feel identical. The 3 major differences that I can notice (not a track driver by any means) are:

1. Turbo for quick acceleration feels much faster, ei: on ramps, back road blasts, ect. However you are truly along for the ride, feel out of control, not in sync with the car. It pulls you along until you let off the gas. Sometimes it was alittle scary. The GTS is still quick, just doesnt feel as fast --however always feel in control.

2. GTS is much more composed during spirited drives on the back roads. It is much more fun to drive in these situations then the Turbo was. The Turbo felt like a one trick pony: speed

3. The exhaust alone makes the GTS such a blast to drive, always looking for times to downshift or goose the throttle. Amazing noise. However, the Sound Symposer doesn't make a huge difference inside the car, need to roll down all 4 windows to appreciate the bark. It is much different then the 991 S, when turned on in that car it was a major change-- engine noise was everywhere. My 5 year old son asked once "Dad, why is your car angry?" when the Sport was pushed in the 991 S. The Turbo was very quiet, even with the Sport Exhaust.

As I said before, very happy with the choice. I could have bought either, but glad I chose the GTS. Since I live in the country with alot of empty twisty roads, I can say it has been more fun to drive to GTS daily.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by cole328
Thanks Disden....sounds like this car is a winner all around. I have had two black cars last, so def leaning toward the silver (your comments also helpinf to persuade me that way). Also, the big plus, is that my wife loves the car, which means that she will not bust ballz when she sees how large the lease payment is going to be :-) Also, I forgot if I asked already...did you gt the PDCC? Not all that many curved roads here in FL, but enough to make my morning commute interesting. From what I have read, this is a nice to have option on this car.
No PDCC. Even without it, the handling seems much better then my prior Turbo. If I was to spec order the car, would seriously consider it though. It was present on my prior 991 S and that car cornered like a dream.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM
keithos27
Racer

Did your previous Turbo have PDCC?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:43 PM
disden
Drifting

I am getting used to the side panels in black as opposed to painted, actually like them now. Go figure. Love this car, almost 2K miles now, ready to let it rip.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 PM
HawaiiGTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad this thread was started, as it is very timely for me. I too am moving from a 911 to a Panamera GTS. I previously purchased a 2008 Cayenne GTS as a compromise between my desire for a sporty drive and my need for space for the kids, but always wanted a 911, so a year after my purchase I traded it in for a 2009 997 C4S. However, I have 3 boys (now 12, 9 and 6) all of whom are active in various sports, and I quickly learned how little space the 997 has to haul gear around, and my growing 9 year old starting complaining about getting squished into the back seat with his tennis rackets, etc.

While I still really like the 997, I've decided to get a Panamera GTS as a replacement for the 997. I don't doubt that I'll be satisfied with the power, but I'm hoping it will be nimble enough for me.

One question for those with a GTS: Did you order it with PDCC? It's an expensive option on the Panamera GTS ($5000) and I'm wondering whether it's worth it. I did order PDCC for my Cayenne GTS, and I think in that version of the Cayenne it really made a difference. My Porsche sales advisor here tells me that only one of their Panamera customers has ordered PDCC, and none of the GTS customers has ordered it.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I primarily got the PDCC due to the lousy roads in California. It's supposed to help and the car certainly does feel smooth going over rough roads. I don't know what the car is like without it, but with PDCC the car is very stable driving fast on winding mountain roads.

I was just in Hawaii and saw very few Porsches, and no Panameras. You'll be an unusual sight there. You sure don't have much selection in dealers.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 AM
pcar_finally
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight line comfort and traction on uneven pavement were a big factor in my decision to order PDCC. I have a Mercedes now without sway bars (it has ABC), and I've really enjoyed that aspect of that car, making PDCC a must-have option for me.

Quick Reply: Returning to panamera from 991