Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Returning to panamera from 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:50 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the used PTTS and the well-optioned GTS I speced out were similar in price ($160K). But yes, the same TTS new would be about $220K.

Kip, the TT/TTS lower how many MM from Comfort to Sport Plus? Are you sure given that the GTS starts at a lower position and then drops even lower when Sport Plus is engaged that they sit equally as low when in Sport Plus?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:50 AM
keithos27
Racer

One thing I did notice that made the GTS "feel" sportier was the re-mapped PDK... the revs are faster, the blips are more aggressive, and with the sound symposer it just makes it "feel" sportier... Don't get me wrong, you can't go wrong with any Panamera
Old 08-11-2012, 12:51 PM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pgts:

With the air suspension at Normal Level, the Panamera GTS already sits 10 mm lower than other Panamera models and the dampers have a firmer setting. As soon as SPORT PLUS mode is selected, the suspension automatically drops to Low Level (15 mm lower). At the same time, a harder spring rate is achieved through a reduction in the amount of air stored in the air suspension.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/pa...etail/chassis/

all other pannys:
feg hybrid
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/pa...etail/chassis/

The purpose of the leveling system is to automatically keep the vehicle level constant, regardless of load distribution. For maneuvering, the manual lift function enables you to raise the vehicle body by 20 mm to minimize the risk of grounding, e.g. when entering garages.* When you select the ‘SPORT PLUS’ chassis program, the height of the body automatically drops to Low Level (–25 mm)
Old 08-11-2012, 01:05 PM
keithos27
Racer

Thanks for clarifying.

I do wish the Turbo models sat as low as the GTS in Comfort mode... Maybe the revised ones will (now that the GTS has been released)?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
kip1
Instructor

Originally Posted by keithos27
Thanks for clarifying.

I do wish the Turbo models sat as low as the GTS in Comfort mode... Maybe the revised ones will (now that the GTS has been released)?
Porsche turbo models have allways been about luxury and still going fast, I dont think they will lower it in comfort. . Gts rides hard and is probably more uncomortable in comfort mode. Feg I like the jekyll&hyde approach. In the winter I suffer from unplowed roads and ice that makes the road uneven, in the 997tt I though my weels will fall off. Then when its summer, I press sport plus, if I want it lower.

If worked at Porsche Id make comfort as it is, sport 10mm lower and sport plus as it is -25mm.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:06 PM
keithos27
Racer

Kip, you are a plethora of info. Thanks as always.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,154 Likes on 469 Posts

Ugh, I am getting anxious. The GTS is about 12 hours from me, was initially supposed to be here 2 days ago. Now it won't be here until maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. The shipping company is a joke, couldn't figure out how to fit it in a trailer. The dealer is embarrassed and angry. They say they use this shipper all the time and have never had any issues before. Oh well, just have to keep waiting before I can make any comments about how it drives.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 PM
keithos27
Racer

Ugh... that stinks. It'll come soon enough, don't worry... then you can share pics and stories with all of us.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM
disden
Drifting

FINALLY! The GTS arrived this morning, looks fantastic. Unfortunately I had to run out the door to work immediately and couldnt do much other then admire it. Platinum silver looks great, and I am really thrilled with how good the Brushed Aluminum trim package looks --it's really sharp, lightens up the interior. Hopefully can get a good drive in later and give some thoughts on the vehicle.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM
keithos27
Racer

Congrats! Take pics!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 PM
disden
Drifting

Well, after a short drive today here are a few thoughts about the new GTS.

1. Servotronic will take a little time getting used to.

2. Platinum Silver is an interesting color. Is it silver, grey or gold? Changes depending on the light.

3. I would get the side skirts and back painted the body color if I bought this again. In pictures it looks nice in matte black, but in person it is a bit too much, looks out of place. Granted, my previous PTT had all pieces painted, so maybe that is my bias.

4. Brushed Aluminum Interior Package is amazing against the full BLack Leather. I am really suprised how great it looks.

5. Sound Symposer is not as appearant in the GTS as it is in the 991 S. In the 991 S when you change from normal to Sport, the whole car just comes alive with engine noise, not so much in the GTS. However, the exhaust in the GTS is truly amazing. I cant wait till break in period is over, then can really get on it!

6. In only a short drive I realize why I came back to Panamera; lots of space, the interior of the car is just a nice comfortable place to be-- I am taller at about 6'4 and I can stretch out and not feel cramped. So far it looks great, sounds great, I can't wait to finish work tomorrow and take it out for a true drive on the back roads. So far I am really glad I have a Panamera back!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:21 AM
kip1
Instructor

Congrats, I also like the aluminum! Servotronic feels different, but in a week it will be the other way round. Painted skirts make the car look lower imo. If you change your mind, Id get the sports design package.

Last edited by kip1; 08-18-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:47 PM
keithos27
Racer

Can you post detailed pics of the aluminum interior? Congrats on the new car!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:56 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to the Porsche World Road Show and drove the new GTS, 991 and 991S after each other.
I was amazed at how good the GTS was handling in Sports+ mode. It is not a 991 but it's damned good.
You can clearly feel the extra weight of the car but it is very easy to handle and has loads of power/torque.

Stepping into a 991S after that you feel the difference clearly, but if you're not going to race the car I have to say the GTS is the more sensible choice.

Can I have a GTS as well? :-D
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Had the 3.6 / PDK Panamera the other day as a loaner and I must say the PDK is a hoot. The controversial styling aside, the car really grew on me. The throttle response with the PDK is a thing of beauty…
Make mine silver metallic over black leather ! and Quattro if it’s going to see snow

Quick Reply: Returning to panamera from 991