DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm torn between buying a 991 or Pananera (GTS or Turbo S). Would love to hear your opinion as well!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,154 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by keithos27
I'm torn between buying a 991 or Pananera (GTS or Turbo S). Would love to hear your opinion as well!
I really think it depends on what you are trying to use the car for. Since I have now had a Panamera Turbo and a 991, I just really thought that the Panamera suited my needs better. The Pan is just such a comfortable and luxurious car. In Turbo form it is also scary fast. As a daily driver it was so much more comfortable and gave me more options for running errands, picking up kids or friends. Having the back seats fold down also creates alot of cargo room. The 991 is a great car, handles so well (not that the Pan was bad, but size/weight does matter!). As a weekend only car or just for fun car it would be great, but as a commuter with any distance it wasnt as comfortable or practicle. Plus, I know I am in the minority here, I personally think that the Pan is such a great looking car; I got alot more people coming up to me to talk about that I did with the 991.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am 100% getting a Pan in a few months...your "joy" however has me seriously rethinking the Turbo vs GTS variant......I am still leaning GTS for previously stated reasons, but likely need to drive the Turbo again to be sure!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM
keithos27
Racer

Well I'm looking at buying a new car to keep for the next 10 years... I currently have an e39 M5 which I've had for 10.5 years and it's getting to be that time to get a new car. I'm early 30s about to settle down, get married, and have kids in a few years. I really thought I could get away with a 991 and have a 2nd car (my girlfriend's 4 door) or even a 3rd car (like a Camry) for when we have kids, etc. but now I'm thinking that a Panamera may just be the better choice all-around.

Now the question is when will the Turbo S and/or GTS receive the facelift? Don't wanna buy either today to have a new looking one out next year, etc... especially since I plan on keeping the car for 10 years.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by cole328
I am 100% getting a Pan in a few months...your "joy" however has me seriously rethinking the Turbo vs GTS variant......I am still leaning GTS for previously stated reasons, but likely need to drive the Turbo again to be sure!
I unfortunately can't comment on the GTS drive yet, mine arrives on Saturday; but I can say that the Turbo was a straight line monster! The sudden rush of speed was incredible; even in the 991 S that shear rush was noticeably absent. I would have bought another Turbo, but I just wasn't ready to drop that much cash again. Saving for the kids college is really getting in the way of my car buying problem!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by disden
I unfortunately can't comment on the GTS drive yet, mine arrives on Saturday; but I can say that the Turbo was a straight line monster! The sudden rush of speed was incredible; even in the 991 S that shear rush was noticeably absent. I would have bought another Turbo, but I just wasn't ready to drop that much cash again. Saving for the kids college is really getting in the way of my car buying problem!
I hear that....fortunately, here in Florida we have a pre-paid college plan that allows you to pay off college now, 16 years early (my chilren are both under 6).

Anyway, please do give some impressions once you get the GTS....I'm especially intrigued since you'll have actually owned both and can be impartial. I can luckily afford the Turbo lease payments (as I also get the advantage of being able to run them through my business), but certainly would rather not have such a large monthly nut. I really thought the GTS drove like a hoot, and offered significant value for the dollar. Fact is, both cars are really way way faster than anyone can legally drive in a straight line anywhere...so, I thought the GTS was more of the balanced care in terms of speed, handling, sound, looks, etc
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the GTS was more of the balanced care in terms of speed, handling, sound, looks, etc
Speed=slower, handling=in sport+ equal, in comfort mode more comfy, sound=best of the Pannys, looks=exactly the same if you tick the boxes!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:21 PM
disden
Drifting

I really thought the GTS drove like a hoot, and offered significant value for the dollar. Fact is, both cars are really way way faster than anyone can legally drive in a straight line anywhere...so, I thought the GTS was more of the balanced care in terms of speed, handling, sound, looks, etc
I went through the same calculations, seemed like the GTS was a great value for the dollar. If I have one concern, it is that the GTS will feel dramatically slower then the Turbo. Hopefully the better exhaust sound and sharper handling (and money saved!) will overcome that one anticipated shortcoming.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

well, I could be in the minority, but it did not "feel" that much slower....it was amazing keep me posted
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 PM
keithos27
Racer

I test drove a GTS and Turbo S today... the GTS sounded better, looked more aggressive with its lower stance, but was definitely slower. When you punched it the TTS was just insane! But that being said, like pretty much everyone else says, you do feel a bit more "disconnected" from the road in the TTS vs the GTS. I don't know why, exactly, but I just did (not a dramatic difference, but a difference). I don't think you could go wrong either way, though.

I love the sound of the GTS (like pretty much everyone else) but was a bit concerned it might be a bit overkill for a car I plan on keeping for 10 years. Luckily when in "comfort" mode the sound is very bearable. When in Sport/Sport+ it sounds awesome!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 AM
kip1
Instructor

well, I could be in the minority, but it did not "feel" that much slower....it was amazing keep me posted
This is where Porsches have allways succeeded in GTSs, they really feel almost equally quick as the the turbo/turbo s models. It was like this also in the Cayennes I drove. But PGTS/PTT/PTTS are about 17s, 14s and 12s respectively in the 0-200km/h sprint, a car travelling at that speed is going about 66m/s so I think you get the picture. 0-100km/h they are quite close, 3.8s-4.3s SLOW is not a word you can use on any of these cars ! According to German mags the PGTS is as fast to 200 as an Audi S7, the PTT as fast as 991 CS, and the PTTS as fast as the 997tt tiptronic.

At normal road legal speeds you wont notice a big difference.

Last edited by kip1; 08-11-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:49 AM
kip1
Instructor

Originally Posted by keithos27
But that being said, like pretty much everyone else says, you do feel a bit more "disconnected" from the road in the TTS vs the GTS. I don't know why, exactly, but I just did (not a dramatic difference, but a difference).
Im pretty sure the PTTS had servotronic, but the PGTS didnt. Also the PGTS is lower only in comfort mode, sport+ level is the same, this is why the PTT/S is comfier in comfort mode
Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Also, most people on here are commenting on the PTTS.....isn't that like a $180K car? Somewhat of an unfair race! I drove the GTS back to back to the Turbo (no s). While sure, the Turbo was superb, it was simply not "memorable."
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 AM
kip1
Instructor

Also, most people on here are commenting on the PTTS.....isn't that like a $180K car? Somewhat of an unfair race! I drove the GTS back to back to the Turbo (no s). While sure, the Turbo was superb, it was simply not "memorable."
You can put a powerkit on a used PTT, like I did. You get a PTTS mechanically(actually it has been faster than a ptts in all tests), just not the badge. Probably doesnt even cost you in the US more than a new PGTS, so I think it is all about choices and preferences and so a PTTS is ok to bring into the equation, dont you think?

Quick Reply: Returning to panamera from 991