Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

reflection from dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
jayagopal50
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reflection from dash

I have a beige interior and the reflection on windshield is very difficult to get adjusted to.I think it should have been black like my CLS 500.Any thoughts or fixes[please not Velour dash covers]
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad that I am not the only one who notices the reflection from the dash. I have black interior, I don't know if my reflection is better or worse than yours.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps try a coat of Lexol on the leather and Vinylex on the plastic (see http://www.lexol.com/). These products leave a matte finish and this might help with the glare. Highly protective, too!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
mmcmilla
Advanced

I also have a beige interior and notice the same thing. (I have the special noise/heat glass too.) The speakers on the dash seem to particularly reflect.

But I still love the car. Like the small rearview window, I've just gotten used to the reflection.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
jmm
Advanced

Stop and think for a minute. If structural integrity and safety are high priorities in the design of a car, the dash will be substantial, if not massive. It has bracing in the form of cross beams that protect the front seat occupants in a crash. Likewise, if fuel economy or top speed are high priorities in the design, the windshield will be strongly slanted from perpendicular. This lets the car slip through the air more efficiently. And if you don't want the sun to cook your head, this whole design will be in front of you, not over you. The net result is a large flat dash reflecting into a slanted windshield. This is physics, people. It doesn't matter what color it is and it doesn't matter what is reflecting. The Cayenne does it, the Panamera does it and any car with this structure will do it. Ignore it. It isn't so bad that you can't see out and it is not a curable design flaw without setting new priorities and completely redesigning the car.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:33 PM
tkids
Pro

Same here. But how about the heat build-up from that dash, ridiculous! I have the AC on defrost vent, just to try and cool that area down!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:04 PM
FredinNY
Rennlist Member

I test drove a Panamera with black interior. Didn't notice anything during a lengthy test drive. Picked up my vehicle which I ordered with beige interior and needless to say was quite surprised when I got the car home and the sun came out!

My fix - Polarized Sunglasses and learned to look through the windshield and not at it!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 PM
dhh
3rd Gear

That is the exact reason I got a black interior vs the beige. the glare off the beige dash is substantially different than that of the dark dash.

Quick Reply: reflection from dash