Panamera 2010-Current

key fob help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
Default key fob help

according to manual, there is an 'emergency key' inside of the regular key fob. i i can open/close door with it but unfortunately i cannot figure out how to start car with it. i have the keyless go option also. dealer was no help (as usual).

what is its purpose? give to valet? keep at home if loose main fob? something else? thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 AM
tcbrown
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The emergency key is only to open the door in the event your key battery runs down.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

so what does porsche expect you to do once you get in if you cant start car? doesnt make sense to me
Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

think i have it figured out. its if the CAR battery dies with doors locked theres no other way to access a jump start. the full size fob doesnt fit into the door lock. its a weird quirk and just shows p hasnt perfected lux cars yet
Old 05-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Zba
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could be forced to stand out in the rain waiting for roadside, holding your thumb out like some tramp!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the door will not open the car will not start. Open the door and call 1-800-Porsche. My Mercedes uses the same kind of key.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
according to manual, there is an 'emergency key' inside of the regular key fob. i i can open/close door with it but unfortunately i cannot figure out how to start car with it. i have the keyless go option also. dealer was no help (as usual).

what is its purpose? give to valet? keep at home if loose main fob? something else? thanks
The "emergency" mechanical key is to open the driver's door if it won't open with the fob for a variety of reasons. Remove it from the fob by releasing the catch slider and slip out the key. Open the driver's door lock with the mechanical key.

Then, the key fob plugs into the place where you have already removed the twist-to-start ****. One removes the twist-to-start plastic paddle by turning it counter-clockwise and holding it in that position for a full 10 seconds (seems like 10 hours). Then something inside the dash makes a "click" sound and the plastic paddle **** can be removed. Then, insert the small end of the key fob into the "socket" revealed by taking out the ****. Twist and start!

If you live in a big city with a dense and powerful radio energy environment, you already know why to become familiar with these details. I have. My Panamera Turbo is going in for an "improved" set of antenna amplifiers to potentially correct this issue day after tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

i live near nyc but dont know about radio energy problems. what happened to your car/key?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i live near nyc but dont know about radio energy problems. what happened to your car/key?
There is an issue with the key receiver that only happens in certain locations in large metro areas. The symptoms of an encounter with too much RF are that the key receiver can't hear the 315 MHz lock or unlock signals coming from the key and the car refuses to unlock via the fob. Then, if the interference is strong enough, the car will display "key not recognized" in the gauge-cluster display screen and the alarm starts to make loud noises accompanied by flashing 4-way hazard lights. Fun, no?

The worst episodes can only be cured by opening the car with the mechanical key and starting the car by removing the paddle **** and inserting the Porsche-logo-end of the key fob into the dash. After one plugs the key into the dash receptacle, the car re-acquaints itself with the key's security codes via an inductive coupling loop in the key receptacle and everything returns to normal.

The problem has something to do with differences of the RF signal environments found in the USA vs. Europe. Porsche engineers (German) are rumored to have been aghast after finding how strong (powerful) some VHF/UHF radio signals are in big USA cities. Their extensive field testing of the key-less entry system in Europe revealed no problems of the sort found here, maybe because the telecommunications regulations assign different frequencies for some services there compared to here..

My personal speculation is that the problem has something to do with 928-932 MHz paging transmitters found in large cities. These transmitters are rated for kilowatts of output and run on a frequency assignment used only for cell phone towers in Europe. Cell phone towers are less powerful than USA paging transmitters and use a different type of modulation. The pager signals are often transmitting nearly continuously with a large area of coverage while EU cell phone towers are only on during local phone calls in a smaller physical area. But, it's only a guess on my part. Hopefully the new "antenna amplifiers" the dealer will install in my car will be less sensitive to whatever signals cause the locking system woes.

Last edited by W8MM; 05-25-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: key fob help