Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Anyone doing the Driving Experience at Fontana?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone doing the Driving Experience at Fontana?

My buddy at work invited me to join him, as he got an invitation through his dealer for a Fontana event going on the weekend of Nov 6-8.

Anyone else doing this event?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be there with my g/f, Saturday at 12:30. We went last year to the PDK/Cayenne GTS track day. In the year since then, she traded in her Grand Cherokee for a Cayenne GTS -- and I traded my '08 911 c for a a 911 C2S PDK. I think we are *exactly* the target demographic for these events! Although to be honest, it was 4 days at PSDS that sold me on the PDK, not just a few laps at Fontana. Still, it's a nice way to meet a new car, and to see some of the crew from PSDS.

DMoore
'09 911 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant
Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct dates are Nov 7-9 Sat, Sun, Mon
Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DMoore
I'll be there with my g/f, Saturday at 12:30. We went last year to the PDK/Cayenne GTS track day. In the year since then, she traded in her Grand Cherokee for a Cayenne GTS -- and I traded my '08 911 c for a a 911 C2S PDK. I think we are *exactly* the target demographic for these events! Although to be honest, it was 4 days at PSDS that sold me on the PDK, not just a few laps at Fontana. Still, it's a nice way to meet a new car, and to see some of the crew from PSDS.

DMoore
'09 911 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant
Good stuff, these events do work.
We got the Saturday morning 9am time slot.

My buddy's got an A8 among others, and he's looked at the Q7.

--> So were you actually driving on the track at Fontana?

The last event I did there was a big auto-x style in the parking lot.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

I got an update from the C-K marketing guy:

Both events are occurring during this event. Half the time is spent on the road course with the Panamera and Cayenne GTS. The other half is spent on the Auto Cross course with the mid-engine vehicles.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well that was interesting. Just got back from the Panamera/Cayenne GTS event at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. I got to drive a Panamera S and a 4S on the track. But it was a single lap in each, following a PSDS instructor, so couldn't do much more than get a taste of the car.

Still it was very impressive. What I've been hearing is right - 50 yards down the road, and you forget you're in a 4-door sedan. I managed to get the rear a little loose on one corner (went in a little hot) but very controllable. PSM was on - they won't let you turn it off at these events.

The highlight was a hot lap of the track with Cass Whitehead of PSDS driving. I was in the back seat. At 6-1 I'm used to being cramped, but the seat in front of me was all the way back and I *still* had plenty of room. Cass said he's been driving the Panamera for 4 months now, and really has it dialed in. It reminded me of sailing around Barber in Cayenne Turbo -- how does something this big and heavy handle so well?

I still think the styling is lumpy at best, but that car sure does handle nicely!

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant
Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DMoore
Well that was interesting. Just got back from the Panamera/Cayenne GTS event at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. I got to drive a Panamera S and a 4S on the track. But it was a single lap in each, following a PSDS instructor, so couldn't do much more than get a taste of the car.

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant

Yeah -- it really was just a "taste" but sure made me hungry for more!

I had to hang way back in the group just to allow myself enough room to air it out a bit.

I found the base rwd S was most entertaining handling, maybe like you described it's got a little more "sports car" handling than the AWD versions.

It sure seemed like everyone was impressed with the car and driving dynamics.
The rear looks a bit Cayman-esque from directly behind, it does look big and purposeful.

I had to bail before the hot laps, I'm sure that was fun being in the backseat while Cass was driving.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the Driving Experience at Fontana?