Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

What is the demographic/purpose of the Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What is the demographic/purpose of the Panamera?

Hi,

Let me say first off, I'm not down on this car. I find the car better looking in person to my surprise. I love my Porsche dealer, and I need a new four door sedan. But, I just can't wrap my mind around the purpose of the Panamera, or what kind of person would but it. I'll explain.

First the car is described as a four door sedan. But, the trunk space is limited in my opinion, I can't see being able to carry several sets of full size golf bags without folding down the back seat/seats. That rather defeats the purpose of a four seater. The 7 series, MB and A8 have proper storage.

Next, it's described as a "four door sports car", not a four door sedan, ala Audi A8. First, I don't want to carry four people with me for a canyon run. Second, I would not take this car out to drive the twisties when I have a sports car in the garage. I know Porsche is demonstrating the car on the track, but hell, you put four people in any car and it takes the fun out of it. Besides, who really cares how the car performs on a track? That's not the purpose of the car.

It's not the greatest snow car, or so I suppose, not enough ground clearance for Colorado mountains. Rather have the Pepper.

At $150,000 or so for a decked out TT, I can't imagine anyone not cross shopping the Bentley. I know I'm checking it out for that kind of coin. I'd venture to say anyone who can afford $150K plus, can afford a Bentley.

Porsche does not have a good depreciation/resale record at this price range, check out GT2 resale.

Finally, and important to me, the car is already offered at three price points, and with the introduction of the cheaper V6, four models. A hybrid, then five. If I'm shelling out $150 long or so, I want the prestige of a high end car, not a car shared with a $75K or so V6. "Yes, I have a Panamera". "Wow, those are what, $75,000?" "No, it's the TT, and it's $160,000." You won't have that conversation when you own a Bentley. The Panamera won't be exclusive.

I love the interior, and am kind of trying to justify buying a Pan, but just can't get over the above thoughts. I'd like to stay local with my dealer, but can't see why I would not get the new upcoming Audi A8, which is supposed to be a humdinger.

Can people help me out here? Where have I gone wrong? Who will buy this car, and why?

Last edited by Bluehinder; 10-20-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you driven the Panamera? 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds, in a 4 door car, with a skidpad of 0.96. I dont think many 4 doors cars can do that.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
Have you driven the Panamera? 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds, in a 4 door car, with a skidpad of 0.96. I dont think many 4 doors cars can do that.
The turbo, right? Their website says something like 5.0-5.2 for the 'S' model, which is the same as the Boxster.

The M3, M5, M6, and most of the AMG models do better than 5.0-5.2.

The OP makes several good points, and likewise I want to like the car but for many of the aforementioned reasons in addition to the subjective appearance of the car, I'm struggling.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
Is that with four passengers and luggage?

Do you do those numbers/types of things on real roads with four people in the car?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
What is the demographic/purpose of the Panamera?
Can people help me out here? Where have I gone wrong? Who will buy this car, and why?
Very simple ... A fool and his money are soon parted ...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Very simple ... A fool and his money are soon parted ...
Like most of us on this board!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Is that with four passengers and luggage?

Do you do those numbers/types of things on real roads with four people in the car?
I might do highly dynamic driving in a Panamera with 3 students on board while instructing at a PCA/BMWCCA track driving school, but never on the street with social companions. But, that could be said of most high-performance sedans, although most wouldn't be up to the task, no? Your challenge quoted above seems to be trying too hard to dismiss performance as a purchase motivation.

I think Porsche has done a brilliant job of finding an open, unserved market niche to occupy with the Panamera: "the sportiest practical car ever made".

1) For those limited to owning a single vehicle, it's a "practical" alternative to a dedicated sports car. It's much more "practical" than a 911 or ZR1 for carrying around a family or going to the store, but it provides 90-95% of the daily driving "fun".

2) For those tired of the compromises of hot-rodded sedans that don't really have satisfying sport-driving dynamics, the Panamera has gobs more of race-car feel than anything else with four doors. That's the market image position that BMW has been nurturing for several decades, and the Panamera has just topped them.

3) For those (like me) who need the large format cargo flexibility of an SUV, but don't want the skirt-ripping high step-up issues for their companions (ever go out with a lady in a dress?), or the traditionally poor fuel economy, or the comparatively poor driving dynamics, the Panamera is very attractive.

In sum, the Panamera doesn't have to be the best in an already established market segment. It only has to attract enough customers that weren't already served by the products now on the market. That's a big and crucial difference.

I'm trading my GL450 for a Panamera Turbo.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's not the greatest snow car, or so I suppose, not enough ground clearance for Colorado mountains. Rather have the Pepper.
Maybe not in Colorado, but I had great fun many years ago (before kids) in my 964 C4 with winter tires. Here in Ohio, we rarely get more than a foot of snow in any one storm. That 964 C4 was absolutely agricultural in its ability to go wherever Jeeps were headed. It would throw four rooster tails of snow out of the wheel wells as it launched on its way. I never encountered any ground-clearance problems in this area of the country.

Why wouldn't the Panamera behave exactly the same way?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

At $150,000 or so for a decked out TT, I can't imagine anyone not cross shopping the Bentley. I know I'm checking it out for that kind of coin. I'd venture to say anyone who can afford $150K plus, can afford a Bentley.
I already have an Arnage T. It's not really a daily go-to-the-office kind of car. It's more of a drive to Chicago and stay at the Peninsula, or go out with friends for dinner and theater, kind of car.

A Porsche is much more socially acceptable in mixed income surroundings, no matter how much it actually costs to purchase. The fact that most people won't figure out the difference between a Panamera S and Panamera Turbo is actually a benefit in a daily driver.

Some cars make awkward social statements, but Porsches don't seem to.

My grandfather used to buy the most expensive Oldsmobiles ever built, but would not go near a Cadillac. His reason was that if he drove a Cadillac to work, all of his employees would instantly want a raise, even if the Cadillac cost less than his Olds.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know Porsche is demonstrating the car on the track, but hell, you put four people in any car and it takes the fun out of it. Besides, who really cares how the car performs on a track? That's not the purpose of the car.
Who says? I have been looking around for some 20" track tires to put on a third set of wheels for my upcoming Panamera. I think it would be great fun to take to the track, particularly in conditions that I don't like to risk in my Carrera GT.

Some of the most fun I ever had was driving a 9C1 Police Package Chevy Impala (with sticky tires) around Mid-Ohio and challenging various German sporty cars to go faster. One can't be too serious about other people's sense of humor
Old 10-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I rode in a Turbo the other day, sure the rear end is ugly. However it states it's purpose quite clearly with the pedal to the floor!

The dealer that gave me a ride said a few of their clients are having them chipped to 600 hp before they take delivery.

I agree with the comment that the probability of 3 other passengers enjoying a speed-ticket-inducing romp to 150 mph on the highway a bit un-nerving. But, at least you'd have fun right?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 AM
phonetics
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just forget it... u can't afford it...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen accounts of the turbo hitting 3.4 to sixty. Would chipping this beast get 'er to three flat? Although we can barely notice the difference most men with super high performance cars are really into measuring their weeners at the end of the day.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with all the points of the OP, but you're just thinking too much.

Don't use logic to buy cars such as Porsche or Bentley. We don't need them.

Panamera will suite people who enjoy driving but want more space than a 911 and doesn't want an SUV.

I don't have any desire for Bentley and they definitely will not hold value better than Porsche.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't realize how big that thing is until you see it next to a 911.

Quick Reply: What is the demographic/purpose of the Panamera?