Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes Porsche gets it right.
Brilliant concept.
Flawless execution.
An excellent final product.
The video, I mean ... hell ... not the car!
: )

ps. I wish Porsche had a facility like Silverstone in the US! Barber Motorsports is very, very good, but that's just awesome! Perhaps people who've done the "Experience" driving there can comment.

Last edited by Carrera GT; 09-30-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Sometimes Porsche gets it right.
Brilliant concept.
Flawless execution.
An excellent final product.
The video, I mean ... hell ... not the car!
: )

ps. I wish Porsche had a facility like Silverstone in the US! Barber Motorsports is very, very good, but that's just awesome! Perhaps people who've done the "Experience" driving there can comment.
The car is way better than you seem to think! Yes, I know we have both driven it, maybe you don't have enough grey hair.

The car is excellent, and then some.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
The car is way better than you seem to think! Yes, I know we have both driven it, maybe you don't have enough grey hair.

The car is excellent, and then some.
No question the car is magnificent when driven and taken within the context of such a leviathan behemoth gargantuan colossus. But I don't think it being a bit of fun to drive beyond normal limits is anywhere near enough. Jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes and BMW, even Audi, all make excellent grand sedans with ample seating, sumptuous appointments, lavish technology, voluminous luggage space and excessive raw performance (far beyond even the most energetic of their targeted buyers) with superlatives dripping from every "nothing exceeds like excess" appointment. Porsche has brought nothing to the table. Nothing. Just as they did with the Cayenne. Only now the price is as hideous and offensive as the body.

If only Porsche had "finished" the Cayenne -- delivered a great example of the car (at least equal to the Range Rover) -- and then built upon it to say "here is our road going trump card to compel every Jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes, BMW and Audi buyer to finally give up their owner pretenses and become drivers ... of a Porsche."
Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

If only Porsche had "finished" the Cayenne -- delivered a great example of the car (at least equal to the Range Rover) -- and then built upon it to say "here is our road going trump card to compel every Jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes, BMW and Audi buyer to finally give up their owner pretenses and become drivers ... of a Porsche."
I'd say they did just that with the Cayenne, as it has been the best-selling Porsche by far. No matter what the buyers' motivations were, more than enough have opted for the Cayenne over the rest, and this might be the best gauge of whether Porsche has "delivered."
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

No question the car is magnificent when driven and taken within the context of such a leviathan behemoth gargantuan colossus. But I don't think it being a bit of fun to drive beyond normal limits is anywhere near enough. Jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes and BMW, even Audi, all make excellent grand sedans with ample seating, sumptuous appointments, lavish technology, voluminous luggage space and excessive raw performance (far beyond even the most energetic of their targeted buyers) with superlatives dripping from every "nothing exceeds like excess" appointment. Porsche has brought nothing to the table. Nothing. Just as they did with the Cayenne. Only now the price is as hideous and offensive as the body.

You must not have driven the same car, the Panamera is far superior in ride, road holding, performance and comfort to any of the above cars. The fit and finish sets new standards.

Ah, but the price is a little steep, I agree.

And as to Range Rover, if it could make a compelling argument over the Cayenne, I would buy it (because of its larger size). Unfortunately, my previous experience with Range Rover (3 in all) dictates that I stay clear... and talk about depreciation... it makes the Cayenne "look" like a solid investment.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
You must not have driven the same car, the Panamera is far superior in ride, road holding, performance and comfort to any of the above cars. The fit and finish sets new standards.

Ah, but the price is a little steep, I agree.

And as to Range Rover, if it could make a compelling argument over the Cayenne, I would buy it (because of its larger size). Unfortunately, my previous experience with Range Rover (3 in all) dictates that I stay clear... and talk about depreciation... it makes the Cayenne "look" like a solid investment.
+1

Range Rover vs Cayenne no contest. To say that Porsche brought nothing to the table with the Cayenne especially the turbo and GTS is absurd. The Panamera will triumph in the end it is superior to the rest of the overpriced crap out there. The S8 might be the next best thing but honestly it can't get out of its own way unless it is in a straight line. The rest are just overpriced and overpowered sedans i wouldn't give you a penny for.

BTW the passenger seemed to enjoy being thrown around in a rough manner
Old 09-30-2009, 04:11 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
+1

Range Rover vs Cayenne no contest. To say that Porsche brought nothing to the table with the Cayenne especially the turbo and GTS is absurd.
+1
Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With all due respect, sir, I must conclude that you are high.

Quick Reply: Panamera Turbo - Porsche Experience TV