Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Panamera in F1?

OK, so you're sitting at your desk, the cellphone rings and it's a friend from that company in Germany.
He starts out by asking "are you sitting down"...so I usually know it's going to be good.

The Porsche Marketing Death Star is considering approaching FIA/FOM regarding the use of the Panamera (twin turbo) as the F1 Safety Car.

(not that bizarre, since a similar proposal was floated to use the Cayenne Turbo S as the F1 Medical car).

Not sure if they are desperate for exposure/advertising/marketing or if Mercedes is looking to not re-up with the current Safety/Medical cars.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be a great marketing decision from Porsche. Maximum exposure for the new model range. Very clever - linking the racing heritage of Porsche with that of Formula 1 of which many potential consumers exist.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, not to be a smart-a$$, but what is it particularly that causes you to be surprised and/or consider Porsche "desperate"?

is M-B "desperate" because they have had it for a while?

seems virtually "logical" to me... but perhaps you know something i do not.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by allegretto
well, not to be a smart-a$$, but what is it particularly that causes you to be surprised and/or consider Porsche "desperate"?

is M-B "desperate" because they have had it for a while?

seems virtually "logical" to me... but perhaps you know something i do not.
You could describe the current financial position with PAG (partly due to the Panamera investment) as 'desperate'.

Perhaps their internal marketing projections for Panamera sales (not counting the launch cars they "encourage" dealers to take) are 'desperate'

What would lead you to believe that I know something you do not?
I'm probably wrong.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:09 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltc
You could describe the current financial position with PAG (partly due to the Panamera investment) as 'desperate'.

Perhaps their internal marketing projections for Panamera sales (not counting the launch cars they "encourage" dealers to take) are 'desperate'

What would lead you to believe that I know something you do not?
I'm probably wrong.
well i just figured since you're the supermod and folks are calling you to give you early second-hand info that you are tied in to a network of sorts.

even though P has monetary issues, i'll bet the marketing budget has already been pretty much cast in stone by now and some fairly shrewd folks are looking for ways to promote.

the F-1 groupies are in general a well-to-do group and can/will be affording a new toy soon. it would seem a natural to me... but what do i know?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by allegretto
well i just figured since you're the supermod and folks are calling you to give you early second-hand info that you are tied in to a network of sorts.

even though P has monetary issues, i'll bet the marketing budget has already been pretty much cast in stone by now and some fairly shrewd folks are looking for ways to promote.

the F-1 groupies are in general a well-to-do group and can/will be affording a new toy soon. it would seem a natural to me... but what do i know?
I'm pretty sure Rennlist Super Moderator doesn't translate well into German. Volunteering to be a Mod should be grounds for at least 21 days of observation and a pair of pajamas that have the arms that tie in the back....trust me.

I was fortunate enough to make a few friends when I was over there working with PAG, VAG and Mercedes (taking a Maybach out to dinner was nice) and even though I'm no longer in that line of work, you still like to stay in touch via email or phone.

Under Dr. W. Marketing takes priority over everything else.
I will be waiting to see what the actualy Panamera sales turn out to be, post launch.
Of course, I'm really just hoping that Dr. W gets bounced out on his ***, now that he has completed his 10 year plan.
Fairly interesting write up in this months Pano (European Windows section), discussing Dr W's future.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, just noticed the kart chassis/engine combo in your sig. Nice choice.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:57 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

thanks, Krypton chassis. you do karts?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No, my son raced nationally (Florida Winter Tour, Stars of Karting) up until just recently. We still have all his stuff, he just fools around at the local club helping out.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche itself may be joining F1 or the new FOTA series. If anyone has been following the FIA/FOTA scandal at the moment. Would be amazing to see. Why have Porsche not had a Formula One team? High cost?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Autarky
Porsche itself may be joining F1 or the new FOTA series. If anyone has been following the FIA/FOTA scandal at the moment. Would be amazing to see. Why have Porsche not had a Formula One team? High cost?
Out of their league, they couldn't even win in Champ Car / Indy.

Quick Reply: Panamera in F1?