Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Gas or hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 12:40 PM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
don't assume the battery "needs" to be replaced - they have an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty - and unless hte battery fails all that happens to LiON batteries is that they lose total capacity (less range) but assumption they need to replaced is not always true - also cost is in line with any major drive train component with Porsche pricing and 8+ years or 100k+ miles - turbos, transmissions, ICE motor, suspension parts - everything on a Porsche that might fail after 100k+ is expensive.
Well yea, hence the "if you keep the car for a long time" which I guess is less and less common these days. I've had my BRZ for over 9 years now and will probably keep the GTS for a long time too.
And yes, true everything in these cars is expensive to replace, but the hybrid system is in addition to all the ICE stuff not in lieu of it. So it is an additional cost people should consider if long term ownership is the plan.
Old 07-29-2024, 01:02 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
A
2. Efficiency: hybrid obviously wins here. I get avg 10-12MPG with my GTS in city driving lol.
The mpg on my EH is sort of amazing; on 100 mile drive I get 40, on a 150 mile drive I get 35+, never seen below 30 even on the longest trips. I do try and charge it up before the return. Current lifetime mpg is 47 over 25K miles. Current refueling has 500 miles already and over 1/2 tank still. I am NOT a sedate highway driver

This is not why I have it, just a bonus. I costs me $2.25 to charge it after the 100-150 mile trips. Rolling into the garage on the last 0.01 kW (usable) left on the battery is a little game I play.

Last edited by orca15; 07-29-2024 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 01:14 PM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Originally Posted by orca15
The mpg on my EH is sort of amazing; on 100 mile drive I get 40, on a 150 mile drive I get 35+, never seen below 30 even on the longest trips. I do try and charge it up before the return. Current lifetime mpg is 47 over 25K miles. Current refueling has 500 miles already and over 1/2 tank still. I am NOT a sedate highway driver

This is not why I have it, just a bonus. I costs me $2.25 to charge it after the 100-150 mile trips. Rolling into the garage on the last 0.01 kW (usable) left on the battery is a little game I play.
Most I've ever gotten in the last 12 months (according to the app) is 20.8mpg on a 68 mile drive.
This past weekend I got 18.1 and 18.4mpg on a 45 mile drive to/from the beach.
The vast majority of my trips recorded are <10miles of city driving with a flat 10.0mpg. The car probably doesn't calculate or show any mpg below 10.0 lol. I can't resist the burbles from the V8 + PSE in sport mode when scooting around town.
Old 07-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Well yea, hence the "if you keep the car for a long time" which I guess is less and less common these days. I've had my BRZ for over 9 years now and will probably keep the GTS for a long time too.
And yes, true everything in these cars is expensive to replace, but the hybrid system is in addition to all the ICE stuff not in lieu of it. So it is an additional cost people should consider if long term ownership is the plan.

But what about the flip side? What about all the wear you're saving off your expensive, complex, turbocharged ICE powertrain by running in EV mode?

The best scenario is to know your use case. We own a 958 Cayenne Diesel and while it was amazing when we were taking lots of long road trips, it also suffered some carbon buildup in the intake (ok a lot) and DPF clogging due to a bunch of short trips that it would otherwise get used for. My wife drove it and she lives only 9 miles from her office, typically a 20-25 minute drive. The car barely had time to get warm.

We've owned a 9Y0 Cayenne EHybrid ('23) for a little under 18 months now. Total of 13,942 miles as of right now. And of those miles, 10,017 have been in EV mode. We can charge at home and we are averaging 69.2 MPG. MOREOVER the biggest advantage is the ICE only gets activated when the trips are longer and it has a nice long time to heat up to full operating temperature, get the oil nice and hot to burn off any moisture, burn out the crud. On the short 5minute / 3 mile trips to the grocery store and back or that 9 mile commute, the ICE never gets lit up. Yes, this trip involves a very fast highway but the 85 MPH limit is plenty and given that traffic is in play, most of the time the acceleration from the EV powertrain is sufficient to merge without cringing.

I've also taken the car on a few back road blasts, including one where I rallied with our local PCA group of about 50 cars, 95% of which were sports cars. I asked to be put in run group 4 as to not hold anyone up and found after the first stop that I could easily keep up with the more moderately driven 997's, 993's etc. This was 4 up with 3 full sized adults and a moderately sized teenage girl.

So for us, the hybrid powertrain is indeed the best solution. If I were doing long highway runs without traffic as the majority of my driving? I'd probably go for an ICE only powertrain or go to a full long range EV if that suited my tastes. Meanwhile, I use battery management software so that the car charges late in the overnight and is only at 100% about an hour before my wife needs to take it out to extend battery longevity. We'll keep the car a long time and I'm not really worried about degredation, but if we need a new pack, by then I'm sure Porsche will have figured out how to swap "bad" modules out. But in the meantime, that means that by the time the car gets to 100,000 miles, the ICE powertrain will have only done 28,152 miles in it's most optimal operating parameters.

So before you get to worried about all of these expensive EV parts to replace, consider what it's doing for you....

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 07-29-2024 at 01:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (07-29-2024), GT Omologata (08-14-2024), orca15 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 04:22 PM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
But what about the flip side? What about all the wear you're saving off your expensive, complex, turbocharged ICE powertrain by running in EV mode?

The best scenario is to know your use case. We own a 958 Cayenne Diesel and while it was amazing when we were taking lots of long road trips, it also suffered some carbon buildup in the intake (ok a lot) and DPF clogging due to a bunch of short trips that it would otherwise get used for. My wife drove it and she lives only 9 miles from her office, typically a 20-25 minute drive. The car barely had time to get warm.

We've owned a 9Y0 Cayenne EHybrid ('23) for a little under 18 months now. Total of 13,942 miles as of right now. And of those miles, 10,017 have been in EV mode. We can charge at home and we are averaging 69.2 MPG. MOREOVER the biggest advantage is the ICE only gets activated when the trips are longer and it has a nice long time to heat up to full operating temperature, get the oil nice and hot to burn off any moisture, burn out the crud. On the short 5minute / 3 mile trips to the grocery store and back or that 9 mile commute, the ICE never gets lit up. Yes, this trip involves a very fast highway but the 85 MPH limit is plenty and given that traffic is in play, most of the time the acceleration from the EV powertrain is sufficient to merge without cringing.

I've also taken the car on a few back road blasts, including one where I rallied with our local PCA group of about 50 cars, 95% of which were sports cars. I asked to be put in run group 4 as to not hold anyone up and found after the first stop that I could easily keep up with the more moderately driven 997's, 993's etc. This was 4 up with 3 full sized adults and a moderately sized teenage girl.

So for us, the hybrid powertrain is indeed the best solution. If I were doing long highway runs without traffic as the majority of my driving? I'd probably go for an ICE only powertrain or go to a full long range EV if that suited my tastes. Meanwhile, I use battery management software so that the car charges late in the overnight and is only at 100% about an hour before my wife needs to take it out to extend battery longevity. We'll keep the car a long time and I'm not really worried about degredation, but if we need a new pack, by then I'm sure Porsche will have figured out how to swap "bad" modules out. But in the meantime, that means that by the time the car gets to 100,000 miles, the ICE powertrain will have only done 28,152 miles in it's most optimal operating parameters.

So before you get to worried about all of these expensive EV parts to replace, consider what it's doing for you....
Feels like I've walked into an EV cult trap lol. I never said hybrids are bad and considering both sides was part of my point. Agreed on this depending on a person's use case, I'm just pointing out things to consider.

If OP only ever takes 3km commutes and has his own driveway then a full EV would probably be a better idea. Never using the ICE has some benefits but its still there in the car with its own maintenance requirements.

For me, anything that requires a plug makes no sense because I dont drive to work and my parking garage charges $180/mo for charging.
Old 07-29-2024, 04:27 PM
993*David
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

...If OP only ever takes 3km commutes and has his own driveway then a full EV would probably be a better idea. Never using the ICE has some benefits but its still there in the car with its own maintenance requirements...
I do have my own driveway but I occasionally need to be able to drive 500 km in a Canadian winter (if still relevant) and I can't face a full EV.
Old 07-29-2024, 04:46 PM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Originally Posted by 993*David
I do have my own driveway but I occasionally need to be able to drive 500 km in a Canadian winter (if still relevant) and I can't face a full EV.
So the way I see it is:
- Hybrid saves money on gas and almost never needing to fill up with just your daily commutes
- Either way you go, you're supposed to change the oil in the engine every 12 months regardless of miles put on it. I follow that for as long as my car is under warranty.
- Worst case scenario for any "complexity of the hybrid" you mentioned would be defective battery that needs to be replaced during warranty (free but potentially weeks of wait) or eventually needing to pay for a new battery outside of warranty (8+ years later)

You didn't mention if you're going for the 4 Hybrid or the Turbo Hybrid, but I do love the sound of the V8 in my GTS with Porsche's sport exhaust. Nice deep burble without annoyingly excessive pops like some tuned cars.

Porsche hybrids seem to be performing pretty well and reliably compared to what I read when I was shopping around for BMWs and MBs before buying the GTS. Don't think I've seen any stories of someone left stranded because of a hybrid system malfunction in a Porsche (unlike mercedes...)
The following users liked this post:
993*David (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 04:49 PM
993*David
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I think hybrid is the way to go.

Now it's just the minor matter of: 4 vs 4S vs Turbo vs Turbo S

Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by 993*David; 07-29-2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 07:56 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,975 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by 993*David
I think hybrid is the way to go.

Now it's just the minor matter of: 4 vs 4S vs Turbo vs Turbo S

Any thoughts on that?
4S is normally the "sweet spot" - but if you have the means and an allocation a Turbo S is hard to turn down.

although for Turbo S money the 2025 Taycan is also pretty sweet - and low CG and instant torque is a thing of beauty.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-30-2024 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2024, 02:18 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

I can tell you this...the 4E is plenty fast and peppy. If I had it to do over, and could get any one I wanted (allocations were short when I bought), I might spend the extra $$ for a 4SE. After that, you are just getting into the silly range unless you have a track session regularly. It is truly possible to get too much power in a Porsche, although the modern computer systems mitigate the quirkiness quite a bit. Air powered Turbo 911 was too much for me as a daily driver, play around car.

Even with the 4E, the car is no longer the limiting factor in normal driving, I am. In other words, if I am brave enough to shoot for a hole in traffic, the car will immediately go from 70 to 100 and slide through.. Do you really need to go from 70 to 110 in the same time? Doubt it. Same thing on an accel ramp - I can easily get to (or above) nominal traffic speed on the smallest of ramps. Ditto passing - if I have a hole big enough that the other drivers aren't going to start running off the road in fear, the car makes it with loads of room to spare.

Per the above - point yourself at the 4SE, or save a little and get the 4E. I certainty wouldn't BORROW money to get the S.

[added] - as a long time Porsche owner, I can say this with certainty - my biggest smiles are in the curves, not with the pedal on the floor. Spend your money on the suspension, not the engine.

Last edited by orca15; 07-31-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 12:12 AM
PandaSPUR
Racer

I don't need the pedal on the floor to enjoy the sound of the V8, heheh. I personally wanted a V8 before all the manufacturers got rid of them too.

But practical? Nope. Its ridiculous and I love it.
Old 08-01-2024, 01:30 AM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

You do realize the 4 ehybird is the same as 4s ehybird and all you get is a factory tune. You can easily tune your car and it become a 4s. You want it to show up 4s On the cluster? that is easy, you can code that in, everything is the same from the 4 ehybird to 4s. i remember reading all they did was change it to wider tires and 10mm larger brake which you can easily change out to when you swap out rotors

Originally Posted by orca15
I can tell you this...the 4E is plenty fast and peppy. If I had it to do over, and could get any one I wanted (allocations were short when I bought), I might spend the extra $$ for a 4SE. After that, you are just getting into the silly range unless you have a track session regularly. It is truly possible to get too much power in a Porsche, although the modern computer systems mitigate the quirkiness quite a bit. Air powered Turbo 911 was too much for me as a daily driver, play around car.

Even with the 4E, the car is no longer the limiting factor in normal driving, I am. In other words, if I am brave enough to shoot for a hole in traffic, the car will immediately go from 70 to 100 and slide through.. Do you really need to go from 70 to 110 in the same time? Doubt it. Same thing on an accel ramp - I can easily get to (or above) nominal traffic speed on the smallest of ramps. Ditto passing - if I have a hole big enough that the other drivers aren't going to start running off the road in fear, the car makes it with loads of room to spare.

Per the above - point yourself at the 4SE, or save a little and get the 4E. I certainty wouldn't BORROW money to get the S.

[added] - as a long time Porsche owner, I can say this with certainty - my biggest smiles are in the curves, not with the pedal on the floor. Spend your money on the suspension, not the engine.
Old 08-01-2024, 01:44 AM
NickF
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a 23 Turbo S Sport Turismo. I never once considered the e-hybrid version as i considered them evil but if i hadn’t been so bloody minded i’m pretty sure the EH would have been a better car for me. I do a lot of driving in London and a lot of long distances too. I spend a fortune on fuel that i could do without. I rarely drive the car in a way that I’d notice the extra weight. Yet I still don’t regret it. Hybrids and EVs are evolving so quickly that the newer model is a massive step change. They won’t make a car like mine again and i like that, it also stops the new car itch. No regrets but the sensible thing to do is EH in my opinion.

Last edited by NickF; 08-01-2024 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2024, 11:52 AM
diver110
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

In today's NYT, there is a breakdown, state by state, of sources of energy. It had some surprises. One of the state's with the cleanest electricity? South Dakota! 80% clean. It gets over half of its energy from wind. Wind is a big deal in the middle of the country. CA is not as clean as I would have guessed (80%). In fact it is 60%. Oregon is about the same. WA, where I live, it is about 80%. Coal is still dominant in about 10 states, fewer than twenty years ago. The trend has been to replace coal with natural gas, but perhaps unsurprisingly, wind and solar are bigger players. Check out your state!
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 12:38 PM
PandaSPUR
Racer

My state (NYS) is 46% gas, 21% nuclear, 21% hydro. Looks like no coal at least.

Not sure how the state is going to reach its goal of 70% renewable by 2030 lol.

Quick Reply: Gas or hybrid?