Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Buying 2016 Panamera GTS from CarMax

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 05:20 AM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ppi $660 at my local Porsche dealer ???

Getting PPI at my local Porsche dealer and they have an hourly rate of $220/hr and it’s a 3 hour job .. Getting a 2016 Porsche panamera GTS inspected that I purchased through carmax and I got the maxcare plan as well.. the car passed state inspection and they told me it was very clean .. that being said should I go with a PPI as well from this Porsche dealer for $660? The car was 55k and an Additional $4200 for max care coverage 100k miles of coverage would u still get it done ?

Last edited by Cbk1013; 04-13-2024 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:18 AM
Thunderthumbs
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

IMHO, you should get the inspection for your own piece of mind. My own take is that this is a bit stressful for you (I get it, you bought a lot of car for a first one) and you're worried about the integrity of the car, resulting in your being concerned over things 99% of us would never think about (e.g., opening the hood and feeling around for acceptable heat levels - I've not done that in 30 years...).

That said, I'd wager the car is fine. Porsche makes a solid car. People drive them hard and by all accounts the cars aren't bothered. They do have a lot of going on, so you'll hear some things, you'll smell some things, but frankly - if a warning light doesn't come on, or something isn't visibly spewing out of the car, or there isn't an audible, noticeable, regular recurring noise - then you've got nothing a dealer is going to fix anyhow (they don't chase down niggles or things an owner is merely bothered by about, b/c their pay structure doesn't support those sorts of expeditions). 90% of the time the car will clearly tell you if something is wrong. Until then, try not to stress about it and enjoy it. It's a fine auto, personal opinions aside.

And yeah - state inspections are, essentially: lights working; tires/brakes at or above minimum; emissions equip present and functioning; window tint legal. Not in depth.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:12 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Get the inspection, its a cheap investment compared to some repair bills on these things. 220/hr is average. My dealer is 225.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:54 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Default Daytime running headlights not working

Found 2 flaws myself .. 1. Daytime running headlights not working and 2 door gaskets have cracks that look like they might make it another year maybe .. would the PPI point these out and would Carmax fix ?
Old 04-13-2024, 04:57 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

If it’s the actual lights I don’t think Carmax will fix it. If it’s the electronics or wiring maybe. The door gasket they won’t fix. Nobody warranties anything that is about to fail, only things that are broken.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:31 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbk1013
Found 2 flaws myself .. 1. Daytime running headlights not working
User configurable?

Old 04-13-2024, 05:58 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Doesn’t give me last option of daytime running lights

does the car have to be in motion ? I looked when I stopped the car and got out and left car running ??

Last edited by Cbk1013; 04-13-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:13 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Doesn’t give me last option of daytime running lights
does the car have to be in motion ? I looked when I stopped the car and got out and left car running ??
I just checked mine (2013) with the car in accessory mode only (engine off) and the option does exist. If the option does not exist for your car, the software may have been changed.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Must of been to bright out this afternoon clearly working now at dusk
Old 04-14-2024, 05:38 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Gonna gamble between the maxcare, ppi, and $500 deductible I’m gonna have to get hit with 6k of problems to make it worth it … gonna pass on all of them and hope the car runs true !!!
The following users liked this post:
digs (04-16-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 12:51 AM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Gonna gamble between the maxcare, ppi, and $500 deductible I’m gonna have to get hit with 6k of problems to make it worth it … gonna pass on all of them and hope the car runs true !!!
I would at least get the PPI... that carmax return policy you seem real fond of is gonna be useless later on.

Not hard to hit 6k worth of problems in a Panamera or any Porsche.

Also you may want to double check that your DRLs run with the low beams off. Its never been so bright out that I cant tell if the DRLs on any of my cars are on or not lol.
The following users liked this post:
roll_the_dice (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 12:28 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

If you don't want to spend the $600 on the Porsche PPI, find an independent mechanic (preferably with Porsche knowledge) to do a PPI. Could save you a few $, but either way, I would have one done no matter what you decide on warranty etc.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:34 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Turns out the car is stone cold mint condition...has the original tires Michelin pilot sport all season(8 years old) that have great tread left still at 31k miles and has a clear wrap(ppf) on the car from the windshield to front bumper and (additional protection on rear doors that I did see prior) that I just noticed today lololol...clearly the car has been well taken care of...so I skipped the PPI and canceled the maxcare plan...going to get the wheels powder coated black and new Michelin all seasons again...This car impresses me more and more each day....I found a diamond in the rough at carmax...total brag ...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. it also came with 3 keys that all look brand new and had the original carpet floor mats brand new in the trunk at the time of purchase...I tossed the red outlined mats that were used by the prior owner in case you were wondering...need fresh mats!!! I'll take some pics after wheels and tires get done...Gonna look pretty SICK!!! Just feel the white wheels look bit girly and black wheels will give it a more manly look if you will and the brake dust just ruins the white wheels anyway...Wish me luck!! paid 55k for the car which is def not a deal but considering the condition of the car I think I hit a homerun and got extremely lucky here.

Last edited by Cbk1013; 04-23-2024 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:44 AM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Turns out the car is stone cold mint condition...has the original tires Michelin pilot sport all season(8 years old) that have great tread left still at 31k miles and has a clear wrap(ppf) on the car from the windshield to front bumper and (additional protection on rear doors that I did see prior) that I just noticed today lololol...clearly the car has been well taken care of...so I skipped the PPI and canceled the maxcare plan...going to get the wheels powder coated black and new Michelin all seasons again...This car impresses me more and more each day....I found a diamond in the rough at carmax...total brag ...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. it also came with 3 keys that all look brand new and had the original carpet floor mats brand new in the trunk at the time of purchase...I tossed the red outlined mats that were used by the prior owner in case you were wondering...need fresh mats!!! I'll take some pics after wheels and tires get done...Gonna look pretty SICK!!! Just feel the white wheels look bit girly and black wheels will give it a more manly look if you will and the brake dust just ruins the white wheels anyway...Wish me luck!! paid 55k for the car which is def not a deal but considering the condition of the car I think I hit a homerun and got extremely lucky here.
8 year old tires would actually make me wonder if the car has had regular and proper maintenance lol.
Front PPF is a nice win.
The door protection is probably the stock patch of PPF that all Panameras come with, but nice that the previous owner didnt stupidly take em off. (EDIT: actually, not sure if the 970 came with em but the 971s have the little patch by the wheel wells)
3 keys is odd, these come with 2 from factory.

I still wouldn't have skipped PPI.

Last edited by PandaSPUR; 04-24-2024 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:06 AM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Will do … paint looks good .. have to get it Maryland state inspected and they are picky as **** if anything is wrong with it they will find it also gonna have a Porsche shop inspected it as well for 3 hours and hopefully get a list of things then have carmax pay for it
Congrats! Just seeing this thread, fellow Marylander here! I bought from CarMax before but not my Panamera. The nice thing about buying from them, they take returns after certain amount of days/miles. It's a good amount of miles/days, I forget exactly. What part of Maryland if I may ask? I'm just a bit northeast and outside of Baltimore

Last edited by Deezflip; 04-24-2024 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying 2016 Panamera GTS from CarMax