Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Buying 2016 Panamera GTS from CarMax

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 02:43 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Apples and oranges. If you want to go super fast with a battery the Plaid is the way to go. Other than that, there is no comparison. Tesla's garbage QC and build quality is going to make any Porsche product look like a space ship. Also, FSD is a joke. If you are on version 13 of a beta, and you're charging people at that, you don't have a beta. You just have ****ty software.

Honestly if you like the GTS, buy it, get a PPI and drive it for a bit. If the PPI comes back bad or you aren't thrilled with it, just return it. It was crazy easy to return my 971 to Carmax. Get the Maxcare too, it's the real deal and they will refund that as well if you return. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
TRITONE (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 03:05 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djdonte
Apples and oranges. If you want to go super fast with a battery the Plaid is the way to go. Other than that, there is no comparison. Tesla's garbage QC and build quality is going to make any Porsche product look like a space ship. Also, FSD is a joke. If you are on version 13 of a beta, and you're charging people at that, you don't have a beta. You just have ****ty software.

Honestly if you like the GTS, buy it, get a PPI and drive it for a bit. If the PPI comes back bad or you aren't thrilled with it, just return it. It was crazy easy to return my 971 to Carmax. Get the Maxcare too, it's the real deal and they will refund that as well if you return. Good luck!
perfect advice
Old 04-11-2024, 04:51 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Ok I’m buying it … got the maxcare up to 125k miles and getting the local Porsche dealer to do an expection… but the car seems to be leaking a clearish fluid in 2 spots ???
Old 04-11-2024, 05:39 PM
djdonte
Racer

More than likely water from the AC. Probably coming out of the drain and traveling on some under panel. Tell the dealer about it at the PPI. Put your finger in the puddle and taste it. Just kidding. See if it smells or feels like oil/coolant or water. I don't know of any fluid that is clear besides AC condensation or washer fluid.

How did the paint on the doors look in person?
Old 04-11-2024, 07:49 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 570 Posts

That's water from the A/c btw.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Will do … paint looks good .. have to get it Maryland state inspected and they are picky as **** if anything is wrong with it they will find it also gonna have a Porsche shop inspected it as well for 3 hours and hopefully get a list of things then have carmax pay for it
Old 04-11-2024, 07:50 PM
digs
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 113 Posts

I think you are getting a much more exotic car with the Panamera . I would rather have a weekend rush ride and an obscure daily. The tesla being all e seems to be totally consumed at the end of its run ?
I think the GTS is a great all around vehicle . maybe a bit much for a daily ? Good luck with it !

Last edited by digs; 04-12-2024 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:49 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Thx for all the help guys !! So much crap to remember… lol… anyway see how it goes with expections and honestly hope they find **** wrong with it because carmax will fix it.. why would you buy a car anywhere else ? Seems amazing deal they are gonna make the car correct and the maxcare warranty on top … max protection for the Porsche brand

Last edited by Cbk1013; 04-12-2024 at 07:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cbk1013:
engin_ear (05-07-2024), FNTSTK 4 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:08 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbk1013
Will do … paint looks good .. have to get it Maryland state inspected and they are picky as **** if anything is wrong with it they will find it also gonna have a Porsche shop inspected it as well for 3 hours and hopefully get a list of things then have carmax pay for it
Lol State inspections don't work like that. They're not looking for paint work or leaks
Old 04-12-2024, 12:33 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

This will be the first time I’ve owned a car and I reached out to the Porsche community for guidance and everything was going well until someone decided he wanted to puff his chest and ridicule me first for not realizing a door was painted and poorly at that and you were 100% wrong doors all matched and secondly that I have no idea what goes on in the state expection in Maryland where you have to take your car to a mechanic of your choice certified for inspection in Maryland and was wrong with that as well… But keep puffing your chest big guy !!! Your the man !!
Old 04-12-2024, 12:40 PM
djdonte
Racer

Just get a PPI from a Porsche dealer and if it doesn't go well return it. You can try going to Carmax to get them to fix it under their 90 day warranty or however long it is, but in my experience they have standards that are a bit lower than a dealers. For example the dealer might say you need brakes or tires, Carmax will say it meets their standards. I want to say lights and trim type stuff is excluded too. Also see if Porsche can pull up any service history with the vin. A 2016 likely needs a lot of things on time alone. If you havent already, plug the vin in here to see the build sheet. I've found used car dealers and especially CarMax don't list all the features if they aren't readily apparent, which is tricky on these cars with so many options.

Porsche Build Sheets and Window Stickers by VIN | VIN Analytics
Old 04-12-2024, 12:50 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Yeah all that stuff is already in the works getting 3 hour inspection from local Porsche dealer in 2 weeks and I’ll update ya on the so called AC leak the guy at carmax said it smelled like coolant and it wasn’t water but maybe he was wrong and it was just AC water I hope so.. State inspection getting done at 2pm today and I’ll report back with their findings . CRAP
Old 04-12-2024, 02:50 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Shuga I apologize .. I’m standing down .. wish you the best !
Old 04-12-2024, 05:46 PM
Cbk1013
Intermediate

Car passed state inspection !! Porsche dealer next stop
Old 04-13-2024, 01:43 AM
peaceforall
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djdonte
I bought my first Panamera from them. A few tips: Carmax does little reconditioning to their cars and if you dont buy you wont get the shipping cost back, unless one of the questions you ask when you order dont work out. I always asked about smoke smell, tire condition and interior condition. This could get you out of paying shipping if the car shows up with one of these things wrong. Also, if you read their advertising, they are very careful to NOT say no accidents, just no frame damage. They use Autocheck not Carfax, so pay for a Carfax on it. Lastly, Maxcare is one of the best extended warranty products out there, Doug Demuro even did a video on it. I would advise getting it, but it wont be cheap on an older Pcar. When I got mine, they pretty much told me unless it was something simple, they would send it to the dealer anyway.

I found my base 971 pretty uninspiring to drive so I was on the fence with it. Not sure if this is still the case but during covid the return policy was 30 days and 1500 miles. The deal breaker for me was I saw something in the paint on the bumper at night when some gas station lights hit is a certain way. A scuff of sorts. The Autocheck provided by Carmax was clean so I pulled the Carfax and it was indeed in a minor front accident, but I guess the bumper was never refinished. I ordered a new car and they let me drive the 971 until it came in lol... so I more or less drove the Panamera for free for 20 something days. Returning it was easier than returning socks at Walmart. All I did was sign a paper and boom they refunded and rolled my down payment into the next car. Out of curiosity I asked my salesguy what his manager said to him and his response was "I dont know whats worse, the fact that he didnt think a Porsche was fast enough, or that we let him drive it for so long." Oh well..

I dont think that wheel finish is OEM, so take a closer look at them. Hopefully they are professionally powder coated and not rattle canned or plastidipped. Well acutally plastidip would be ideal for me since I'm not a fan and I could easily remove it. Either way best of luck!

If the price is right, buy it, get the Maxcare and a good PPI. If they PPI isn't great, just return it. Also run the VIN thru a decoder to verify the options and build sheet. I've found that Carmax gets the options wrong on Pcars sometimes because there are so many of them and not all are readily apparent from just a quick look if you are not an enthusiast.
wonderful advice, thank you.

Quick Reply: Buying 2016 Panamera GTS from CarMax