Panamera 2010-Current

No drill front plate options with surround view

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 07:43 AM
djdonte
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default No drill front plate options with surround view

I got the Carbonio quick disconnect one, and its a nice piece, but I cannot center it up on my bumper due to the front camera. The two brackets that clamp on the grill are a hair too close together to go on either side of the camera mounting part. I can fit it off to the side, but I'm not sure I care for the look. Other option is to mount it lower, but it looks dumb and is sits lower than the bottom of the bumper. Has anyone with the surround view cameras tried the Sto N Sho? I am in Texas and its hit or miss with the cops here, but I'd rather not draw any more attention from them than I need too.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:16 AM
Chimuel
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

I know you have a different front bumper than I do but I use the US Mill Works tow hook bracket with a quick disconnect when I put my front plate on for inspections. No interference with the front surround view or my thermal camera.

http://www.usmillworks.com/porsche_f..._tow_hook.html

I use Sto-n-Sho on my F car and it scrapes a lot. I believe that is the brand but I can't recall. Mine folds down under the bumper ​

Last edited by Chimuel; 03-15-2024 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:39 AM
djdonte
Racer

Thanks for the pics. I did see that tow hook one, but I am hoping to have the plate centered. I dont have the thermal camera so it would just need to be below the front parking camera.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:59 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I haven't had a front plate on a single car I've ever owned in 25years of driving in a state that requires one.

I've gotten two tickets for it. In 25 years.

One was dismissed as a "fix it" ticket. One I paid $200 for (no insurance points).

I'll gladly continue to pay that "tax rate" to the local constabulary to go without front plates on all my cars.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:06 AM
djdonte
Racer

I hear you. I’ve had mixed results. My corvette got pulled over all the time and ticketed maybe 1/10 times. Still annoying tho. My CTS-V never got pulled over once. GTO got pulled over a few times. IMO they really don’t care about the front plate, they just use it as an excuse to pull you over, or else they would have ticketed me more. I’m mainly just trying to be left alone without having to put holes in my bumper.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:06 PM
BlueOx
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in agreement with you, re: cops using it as an excuse to pull you over especially if you are calling attention to yourself with aggressive/fast driving behaviors. I live in a state where both front and rear plates are required, but in casual observation I would approximate anywhere between 10% to 15% of drivers on the road omit the front plate. The usual cars are Teslas, Porsche, Ferraris and other performance cars. Hysterically, I also see the occasional mini-van without a front plate! Considering those percentages, it would seem that neither the fine (around 100 dollars) nor the fear of the fine are enough to force people to drill holes into their bumpers. Neither my X7 nor my Panamera turbo have front plates and to date, no run in with the law.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:17 AM
djdonte
Racer

I played around with a few mounts, and no plates are going in the middle of the bumper without blocking the camera or putting holes in the upper part of the bumper. The Sto N Show (mocked up with the floor jack) sits a little too low for my liking but seems more secure. The Carbonio looks the best but is a little shaky. They did include some rubber bumper for the back of the bracket. I guess I'll be returning the Sto N Show and going with the Carbonio.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:03 AM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 454 Posts

I had a sto N show, on my Audi A4 Convertible that I drove in college. After college my mother drove the car for years, she repeatedly scraped the living **** out of that front bumper and plate. It never once fell off or got loose.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:23 AM
djdonte
Racer

I ended up with the Carbonio. It's a little pricey for what it is, but it's definitely a solid piece and its quick disconnect mounting system is pretty slick. The part that clamps onto your car is padded to prevent damage. I did get it adjusted so the rubber stoppers on the top of the sat slightly against the bumper with a little pressure, which made it more solid. The rubber is actually sitting on some black trim, so no worries about it rubbing paint off. Its pretty easy to take on and off. Honestly I think I'll leave it off until I get bothered the first time. I see a ton of cars, mostly luxury ones with no front plate. I think its one of those things like window tint, where they just use it as an excuse to pull you over if they suspect something else.
The following users liked this post:
PandaSPUR (04-18-2024)

Quick Reply: No drill front plate options with surround view