Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

CPO issues, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 05:53 AM
Panuny
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Have you test driven one yet ? We have a 2019 2WD, and I guess dodged a bullet, but who wants to play with money like that ? Not me. But we have test driven a lot (3 dealerships-San Luis, Thousand Oaks, Santa Barbara).
My son just purchased an '18 4S with 22k miles. We haven't noticed anything yet but we weren't looking. Curious if the vibration manifests itself immediately or after "x" number of miles. If it's not there when new, then the explanation that this vibration is a "harmonic characteristic" of the Panamera seems false. Going to get with my son to vet this further. Disappointing to hear this is going on in a plus 6 figure car I have ordered, let alone my first Porsche. I cancelled a BMW sedan in '11 because BMW couldn't figure out how to solve a steering issue with the front end.

Maybe time for a forum poll to see whose car has it and when it occurred. I've noticed this forum doesn't show model info in member's signature so you can see what one they have when posting. Would be helpful.

Last edited by Panuny; 02-06-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:21 AM
Panuny
Instructor

Originally Posted by Norge911
Cardan shaft replaced by dealer under CPO. Picked up yesterday, an interesting change, now the vibration starts 2mph lower around 54mph. Still there through 61/62mph.

rear spoiler had ED so it was replaced as well.
Were you getting the vibration when the rear spoiler wasn't working? Reading through the threads again the vibration seems to occur in Panameras at around the time the spoiler goes up. This could change the aero dynamics of the car.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:01 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 390 Posts

I normally drive in Individual mode, no spoiler. But, I have checked with spoiler up, down, different suspension settings and gears at same speed. Does not change the behavior nor with 700lb in the trunk.

it occurs, 54-56 to 62 mph, hold speed steady and about 10-20sec at this steady speed there is a hormonic vibration/ bounce that will be felt.
The following 2 users liked this post by Norge911:
Mootz (02-07-2023), Panuny (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 06:06 AM
Panuny
Instructor

Over in the Waiting Room Thread at least one new Panamera Owner reports no vibrations up to 120 mph.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:40 PM
Mootz
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I now have the vibration occurring between 29-31mph in addition to the existing 57-62 range. A definite bouncing motion.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mootz:
chassis (04-19-2023), Norge911 (03-13-2023), Sonics (04-02-2024)
Old 04-19-2023, 12:25 PM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Bumping this since I have a GTS on order and now I'm confused/worried.
In the later part of this thread, it seems like we think the V8 powertrains aren't affected, but the OP had this issue on a Turbo trim. Or were we just saying the V8 Cayennes arent affected?
Old 04-19-2023, 01:40 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Bumping this since I have a GTS on order and now I'm confused/worried.
In the later part of this thread, it seems like we think the V8 powertrains aren't affected, but the OP had this issue on a Turbo trim. Or were we just saying the V8 Cayennes arent affected?
In the Cayenne forum it seems the V8s are not affected. In the Panamera forum I don’t think anyone has summarized which powertrains have the vibration and which ones don’t, if any.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:52 PM
Pin It
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mootz
I now have the vibration occurring between 29-31mph in addition to the existing 57-62 range. A definite bouncing motion.
I can confirm this in a 2020 Panamera 4S. Have tried multiple sets of rims and tires to no avail. It seems to be less noticeable with tire pressures under 37psi.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:21 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

We have a 2WD base (2019) and its very smooth at all speeds up to 90 mph. Never been past that speed. Any 2WD Panas with the issue, or is this a 4WD problem?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-18-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 03:43 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a resolution/idea on this topic? I am now dealing with this.

I just picked up a 2020 GTS with 27k miles and I noticed it on my first test drive. I thought it might be a wheel issue. I did not really notice it on a second test drive. I stupidly purchased the car and mentioned it to my salesperson and the general manager. I purchased the wheel and tire plan without concern and the dealer agreed to address the issue if I noticed it post delivery. Of course the car wobbles as per this thread (although across a variety of speeds) and the first session with the dealer had the head mechanic confirm the issue and say they struggle with fixing it. I drove home and then reconsidered to have it officially on record as my daughter refuses to sit in the back of the car and made another appointment in a week. I have less than 500 miles on the car since purchase and I find it annoying. I love everything else about this vehicle except this is really frustrating.

It does not feel like a wheel issue as everyone else has mentioned. It comes and goes and my initial reaction prior to reading this thread is that it has to do with the air suspension or the controller.

Last edited by alexaqui; 09-21-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:09 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

I have an 2018 4S with air suspension, and it's smooth all the way up to the maximum xxx speed I have gone.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:52 PM
GogglesPaesano
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase! The Panamera GTS is great despite the vibrations. It's unfortunate that this is an ongoing problem with a $150k car. Porsche needs to get their act together.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:58 PM
Mootz
Advanced

Yet again I had my GTS at the dealership for service. (My rear spoiler once again sh%t the bed. This time it was not mechanical but a control unit.) While it was there I made them aware that the 57mph vibration has become worse and is now accompanied by a vibration at 28mph, all in hopes that the problem could more easily be identified now that it has gotten so bad. They said they test drove it, gave it another complete inspection and, once again, told me this is an ongoing problem with 4WD Panameras and that they have no remedy. They are also seeing this problem with some Cayennes.

So I yet again contacted PCNA. They said they would investigate the issue and contact the dealerships that have serviced my Panamera to gather the complete set service records. They responded after a few days once again stating that the vibration is a “harmonic characteristic” of the Panamera and the vehicle is operating normally, blah, blah, blah. No help, again.

I contacted Porsche Club of America and some of the Board members responded with a few interesting observations including:
"28 mph is almost exactly half of 57 mph confirming that this is a harmonic, or at least periodic with WHEEL speed (not engine, not transmission, WHEEL speed)" and "I suspect (educated guess land now) that what has changed is that bushings are not as tight or not as pliable."

I completely agree that this is periodic with wheel speed, not wheel or tires per se, also but not engine or transmission. I still have my suspicions with the front differential. Also, I have noticed that the car has more "slop" in the drive train. Rapid throttle inputs create the sensation that the drive train is moving within the chassis--more than when new. Also on a launch, there sometimes is a thud that sounds like a busted trans mount. (This also was checked by the dealer and they say that too is normal.)

Has anyone changed any bushing or mounts (such as transmission or motor mounts) in attempt to lessen the vibration?
Old 09-22-2023, 07:16 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 390 Posts

Great observation.

My car sat 2x times this summer while traveling. After first trip which lasted 20 days, vibration was awful at any speed for the first 3 miles, then better.
2nd time the vibration was as normal. I have also noticed if I go on long road trip, 2-3 hrs vs 30 min, vibration seems to reduce. If the diff, there is none to very minimal change in temp in diff between a 30 min vs 2 hrs. Should be at max. for either and there should be no difference in vibration if mechanical

Im back to tires. Just received Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Next week I will bring car to shop, check all wheels for roundness and install the Michelin. Current tire is Pirelli all season. Google Pirelli flat spotting. Checking wheels for roundness is for peace of mind.

I will report back in a week or so on my result.

Last edited by Norge911; 09-23-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:40 PM
Mootz
Advanced

I'm currently running the Michelins and have the vibration. I hope you have better luck! Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: CPO issues, what to do?