Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Activation of Matrix Headlights - US

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 08:27 PM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Activation of Matrix Headlights - US

With the approval of the Matrix headlight system for use in the US, the thread on eventual updates was started in the Cayenne forum. Full Activation of Matrix LED Headlights in the US. I am curious when when/if this system will be made available for car owners with the PDLS+ headlights.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:05 AM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 133 Posts

It’s wait and see now if Porsche will make it retroactively available. In theory it should be a simple code change via PIWIS but no one knows yet and it’s all speculation.

I hacked it into my Mercedes and really enjoy it and just ordered it for my April delivery 911 so I really hope I can retroactively add it to my Panamera and 911.

Last edited by GoBlue!; 02-20-2022 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:56 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 570 Posts

I don't understand why people can't figure out how to code it, to make it work. It can't be that hard.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:25 PM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 132 Posts

Reviving this thread - I'm re-ordering my targa 4s (previous was a victim of the atlantic ocean).. I cant get a definitive answer from my dealer as to whether the matrix headlights can/will be enabled as-is for the US market. Has anyone heard anything?
Old 04-14-2022, 08:09 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts

Much discussion about this on other Rennlist forums (992 and Cayenne). Some say these headlamps are different than the European version so will not work the same even with a software change. I would not expect our regulators to just accept the European standard so I’ve accepted I bought some bling when I ordered matrix headlights.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:18 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

See post #285 of the big Cayenne thread where this email was reported:

"Thank you for reaching out to Porsche in regards to the adaptive lighting option on your 2020 Cayenne S. We apologize for the late response. The lighting is still going through government review and has to be done so per manufacture before nationwide updates and installations can begin.

Your local dealership will inform you of when maintenance and labor can be performed for this feature and we appreciate your patience in this process.

If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask by replying to this email directly or contacting us by phone at 1-800-PORSCHE. "
Old 04-26-2022, 11:20 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 576 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by inthesticks
Reviving this thread - I'm re-ordering my targa 4s (previous was a victim of the atlantic ocean).. I cant get a definitive answer from my dealer as to whether the matrix headlights can/will be enabled as-is for the US market. Has anyone heard anything?
Have any U.S. Porsche owners near the Canadian boarder investigated whether a Canadian Porsche dealer or independent Porsche workshop could re-code their PDLS+ headlights? It's been a couple of years since Canada revised its headlight rules to allow European standard adaptive headlights. I remember reading about a New York BMW owner taking his 7-series to a Canadian BMW dealer to have his "laser lights" re-coded.

Last edited by Woofman; 04-26-2022 at 11:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-27-2022, 11:12 AM
Lfischl29
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What I find so interesting about all of this is that with BMW, it's about a 5 second change using Bimmercode, making a change to the "anti dazzle headlight coding." The headlight modules are all the same, it's just the software that needs to be turned on/off.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:28 PM
Mootz
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ACowabunga
With the approval of the Matrix headlight system for use in the US, the thread on eventual updates was started in the Cayenne forum. Full Activation of Matrix LED Headlights in the US. I am curious when when/if this system will be made available for car owners with the PDLS+ headlights.
An article titled "Bright Idea" published in the May 2020 issue of "Car and Driver" states, "NHTSA regulations require field testing of the headlights as installed in vehicles, unlike the European rules, which allow component testing. So existing adaptive headlights, which automakers can theoretically enable through software changes, will remain dormant until they pass the new tests. No one knows how long that will take, but Eckstein stays Lucid wants to be the first to deploy the technology and has over-the-air updates ready. Of course Audi and others have similar ideas. Our guess is that the first of these new lights will go active in the U.S. between early summer and the end oof the year."

Hopefully Porsche is in this race and is looking to win...
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (12-19-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 09:26 PM
Mootz
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

EDIT: Published May 2022
Old 12-19-2022, 12:03 PM
Chimuel
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts

Reviving this thread. I found some info on the Cayenne forums which I believe are going to be applicable to 971. The coding should be the same, the module names may be different, at least according to rnlst_log.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18510299

I've stored my car for the winter so I will have to wait to plug in my PIWIS and start messing about.
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:28 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 576 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Chimuel
Reviving this thread. I found some info on the Cayenne forums which I believe are going to be applicable to 971. The coding should be the same, the module names may be different, at least according to rnlst_log.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18510299

I've stored my car for the winter so I will have to wait to plug in my PIWIS and start messing about.
FYI, I delivered my 2022 Cayenne to an independent Porsche tech this morning for him to modify settings with PIWIS 3 per the directions that member runbuh posted in the above referenced coding thread on the Cayenne forum. I hope it works ... should find out tonight.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:31 PM
Chimuel
Racer

Originally Posted by Woofman
FYI, I delivered my 2022 Cayenne to an independent Porsche tech this morning for him to modify settings with PIWIS 3 per the directions that member runbuh posted in the above referenced coding thread on the Cayenne forum. I hope it works ... should find out tonight.
Let us know how it turns out on the Cayenne forums (not to muddy the thread here on the Panamera side of things). According to rnlst_log 971 have a different module name but the same parameters (ZFAS for Cayenne, BSV/BVS on Panamera).

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2022, 12:40 AM
c17r15
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 15 Posts

971 (2018) with PDLS+ here.

Followed @runbuh 's instructions on the Cayenne thread (coded to / from FAHRLICHTSCHALTUNG, LICHTASSISTENZSYSTEME, LINKS-/RECHTSVERKEHR, TYPPRUEFLAENDER), and can confirm it did NOT successfully activate matrix for me.

FWIW I do not have LKA or ACC, so my front camera may be light sensing only for high-beam assist vs. recognition.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:49 AM
Chimuel
Racer

Originally Posted by c17r15
971 (2018) with PDLS+ here.

Followed @runbuh 's instructions on the Cayenne thread (coded to / from FAHRLICHTSCHALTUNG, LICHTASSISTENZSYSTEME, LINKS-/RECHTSVERKEHR, TYPPRUEFLAENDER), and can confirm it did NOT successfully activate matrix for me.

FWIW I do not have LKA or ACC, so my front camera may be light sensing only for high-beam assist vs. recognition.
I believe you have to have the option code 8IU or 8JU to have PDLS+ with matrix -- could you confirm on your build sheet?
From what I've been able to look up, there are PDLS+ options without matrix (8G1, 8G4), then the LED lights with PDLS (8IS), Standard LEDs (8IT) and then PDLS+ LED Matrix/Black variants (8IU, 8JU).

Quick Reply: Activation of Matrix Headlights - US