Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

PPF full car or just the front clip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 11:48 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 481 Likes on 333 Posts

@rwdds beautiful car! How long have you had the PPF?
Old 06-02-2021, 12:24 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I had the PPF service done in February.
The following users liked this post:
SS22 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:00 AM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 452 Posts

It's a hard choice and really to each their own. The Panamera's are prone to rock chips, really all over too. Not just on the front end. But if you do PPF to soon, it can take the paint off when removing. You really need to find a good place to do it. I personally don't have PPF on mine. But I've been thinking about it lately.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:03 PM
sp3000
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdds
Chiming in here on PPF. I never PPF'd my 911, but wish that I had. I had my '17 4S paint corrected, Expel PPF'd and ceramic coated. On a recent, winter weather, 300 mile trip on busy NY interstate highways, it got peppered up front. The plastic took it all, with no discernible damage to underlying paint. I had the entire front clip done, hood, front doors and lower body back to the stone guards. It looks incredible when I do a simple wash with a foam cannon, a light going-over with the mitts and a rinse. No waxing necessary. My guy was a professional and knew what he was doing. I understand that doesn't always happen and some detailers are just shoddy.

Ultimately, it was expensive and my Pan was gone for almost a week, but for me, worth it. Not for everyone, but I would do again.

As I said earlier, as long as you are happy that is all that matters, personally I can see the plastic in that photo, the light does not reflect nicely off it, it looks soft and rubbery... It's like people leaving the stickers on a Rolex! I can't wait to rip those suckers straight off to see the metal in the flesh, scratches or not, the light just doesn't bounce right off plastic.. Even dirty paint look better in my opinion..

There was a GTS for sale near me that had PPF all over it, it sat for months and months with no interest, finally a car dealer took it on to sell and low and behold when it was re-advertised they had completely removed the plastic and tried to restore the car to original as best they could. It then sold.... Original is always better even with some patina. I'd never buy a wrapped car. Have a look at a Ferrari video from Normal Guy Super car who bought a wrapped Ferrari... the mess they found underneath when removing was terrible. People also wrap to hide many sins! Don't devalue a good car..
Propofoln (06-23-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 03:40 AM
allroadusa
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree, light reflection with PPF is not nearly as clean as paint alone. A wrapped car is like having a plastic screen protection and a transparent shell on a iPhone. It's not as slick as it would be naked. Granted. But is some cases, it might just be the right thing to do. In my particular case, the unique paint job done at the porsche Manufaktur almost forced the first owner to wrap the car considering the fading 2-tone finish would be hard to reproduce. The car is now 6 years old and the film is still in great shape. I'm just nervous thinking about having to remove it.

Last edited by allroadusa; 06-03-2021 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:01 PM
rgfinnegan
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice! I wouldn't touch your protection film at all; it looks absolutely great! What does it say near the window in the back?
Old 06-03-2021, 11:16 PM
allroadusa
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks! It says Executive cause it's the long wheelbase model.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:04 AM
porshivz
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!
Old 06-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought my 2010 4S 2 years ago with 23K miles. I have PPF on half the front hood, front bumper and mirrors. It definately has that vinyl covering look when you look close. But I'm keeping it on. I also have PPF on the back bumper. It was on it when I bought it. I want to take the back PPF off the back bumper. No fan of it on it. I will do the removal myself but need some advise to make sure i don't remove any paint when I do it. Any help here on best way to remove it please write your advise.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:50 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

Didnt do my 2014 4s, nose and hood got all chipped up. Did the full front on my 18 Turbo. I would do the back bumper and area above that as thats where all the dirt seems to accumulate on these cars
regancc (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Chimuel
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by porshivz
Hey All,

Friend is getting a 2021 4s e-hybrid tourismo and booking it for a ppf. On the 911 side of things, I know full body ppf is common but not sure what to suggest for a panamera. What are your experiences/thoughts? He is a “mature” driver and the car will be city driven year’round.

Thanks!
I would definitely go for the full front plus A pillars at a minimum.

I've got some PPF but not full.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:18 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder if some people are thinking about the old PPF that sometimes yellowed or distorted the paint when removed, or only covered half of the hood and left that unsightly line.

Quality PPF installed by a quality technician is the best thing you can do for your car if you are going to drive it. If it's a garage queen then fine, save your money.

If you have it done, I second what others have said, full hood, the pocket inside the door handle, the headlights, and the A pillar. And if you are going to be doing a lot loading and unloading from the hatch, do the rear bumper.
regancc (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:02 PM
Chimuel
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by knowspin
I wonder if some people are thinking about the old PPF that sometimes yellowed or distorted the paint when removed, or only covered half of the hood and left that unsightly line.

Quality PPF installed by a quality technician is the best thing you can do for your car if you are going to drive it. If it's a garage queen then fine, save your money.

If you have it done, I second what others have said, full hood, the pocket inside the door handle, the headlights, and the A pillar. And if you are going to be doing a lot loading and unloading from the hatch, do the rear bumper.
Must be... Mine is full front (full hood, full bumper, fenders, side mirrors, a pillars, b pillars, door cups, lower doors, door edges, and full rear bumper). Topped off with multiple layers of ceramic coat and it looks stunning.

I'm sure it'll yellow a bit over time but on a darker car you might not notice as much compared to a white or light coloured car. Besides that, the ceramic coating should have UV protection to at least slow that yellowing process.

Removal also needs to be done right, like steaming the PPF so it doesn't leave residue or pull off the paint.

Last edited by Chimuel; 06-08-2021 at 09:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chimuel:
knowspin (06-08-2021), regancc (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 10:18 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

OK, I live a little west of Boston and I'm trying to figure out where those photos were taken. At first I thought it must be some parking garage across the Charles in Cambridge, but then I realized that would put the John Hancock (or whatever they call it now) in the wrong place. So I guess it has to be somewhere in South Boston.

BTW, the car looks fabulous!
Chimuel (06-08-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 04:19 PM
The W
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am planning on PPF for entire front, bumpers, and fenders with ceramic coating on whole car. Still researching best place to go in middle Tennessee (any referrals accepted). But that is the plan. PPF has come a long way in a short time and most are providing 10+ years worth of warranty.

Last edited by The W; 06-09-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: PPF full car or just the front clip?