Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

P0455 Large Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 06:20 PM
ultramens
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you very much. I found some instructions for the Cayenne. They suggested to take the intake manifold off and get to the pump from the top. Could I do the same? There is a silver line that is in the way. Can I simply disconnect this?

Thank you for all the help!

Below is the link to the tech article.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...placement.htm#
Old 04-29-2021, 06:24 PM
ultramens
Instructor

Oh and I could not get enough leverage to get the hose off the pump to check it. I did use a borescope to follow the other hose to the back of the intake. I could not see that it was disconnected. So from this, I can rule out the manifold connection. Looks to be the pump...
Old 04-29-2021, 06:29 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 84 Posts

That is a fuel line and not in your way. It can be moved over slightly if needed. by releasing it from the support on the shock tower. Be careful disconnecting a fuel line, the battery would need to be disconnected. I would be weary of removing the intake manifold. Maybe that works for a Cayenne but not so sure for a Panamera. I have removed the intake manifold on this car, and I am not sure it saves any time over the approved workshop method.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:46 PM
ultramens
Instructor

Thanks again for all the help. I will report back once I put in the new pump.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:09 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by ultramens
Thank you very much. I found some instructions for the Cayenne. They suggested to take the intake manifold off and get to the pump from the top. Could I do the same? There is a silver line that is in the way. Can I simply disconnect this?

Thank you for all the help!

Below is the link to the tech article.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...placement.htm#
I got to my pump without taking off the manifold. The two top bolts are not to bad to get to, but the bottom one on the right was troublesome. I used a low profile E10 socket together with a box wrench. I got to the bottom right one from going under the pump from the left side. Not sure if that would work for the Panny. Just be patient and familiarize yourself with location before going in .

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by TRINITONY; 04-30-2021 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ultramens (05-03-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 12:56 PM
ultramens
Instructor

Hi All, so i just pulled out the hose from the small nipple to test the vacuum on the pump itself. The pressure was above 25. Also tested was the big vacuum hose and that also tested above 25. So this rules out the vacuum pump being faulty right? I got good vacuum from both connections. Where I do go from here? Any other suggestions?

Old 05-07-2021, 09:12 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Was the vacuum steady or fluctuating? If it was steady, then your pump is good. The vacuum splits to two lines leaving the pump. One goes to the manifold, the other to the rear through the connection you took apart. Assuming you were successful in getting a good seal at the connection over the shock tower, then the only other issue is that the line is disconnected from the manifold, or the rubber boot that attaches it, is leaking. There is no need to look further since all other vacuum connections are after the shock tower joint. Make sure you have a good connection there. Simply pushing the vacuum pump tapered rubber will not seal that joint. You need some tubing pressed 1/2" into the joint to engage the o-ring inside, then add the rubber tube to the tubing you inserted. If your pump is good, you should have some vacuum there, even if the manifold line is off. I had fluctuation 0 to 25. Getting at the manifold line isn't easy. This was ultimately my issue, the tube was off, but I felt I knocked it off taking everything off to get at the pump.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:00 AM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

the Turbo's don't have the Manifold connection
Old 05-07-2021, 02:58 PM
ultramens
Instructor

Hi, I connected the vacuum guage directly into the pump. I got good steady pressure. When I tested at the connector switch, I got the little to no pressure and a fluctuating needle.

So the pump is good but since I got a fluctuating needle at the switch, something is wrong on the manifold side right? But since the turbo does not have the manifold connection, where does that line go to? Indy wants to smoke this line to see if it is disconnected somewhere.

Last edited by ultramens; 05-07-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:05 PM
ultramens
Instructor

Researched and I guess there is another connection on the bottom of the manifold. What a smoke test show if something is not connected?
Old 05-10-2021, 05:29 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Researched and I guess there is another connection on the bottom of the manifold. What a smoke test show if something is not connected?
hopefully
Old 05-13-2021, 02:50 PM
ultramens
Instructor

Just got the car back from the Indy. We smoked tested the vacuum line and saw smoke coming from under the manifold. Indy took off the manifold and found a connection that came undone. Not sure how this would have just fallen off but he reconnected and put everything back together. Hopefully this solves my problem.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:25 PM
rbrunelle
Racer

Just got the car back from the Indy. We smoked tested the vacuum line and saw smoke coming from under the manifold. Indy took off the manifold and found a connection that came undone. Not sure how this would have just fallen off but he reconnected and put everything back together. Hopefully this solves my problem.
That will do, I was told a turbo didn't have a connection but yours seems to have one.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:05 PM
ultramens
Instructor

Yeah, the other end of the vacuum connection is actually not against the manifold at all. Once the manifold was removed, we saw where it was disconnection (front of the starter).
Old 05-14-2021, 07:26 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

the NA cars have a connection to the back of the manifold that has to be disconnected to remove the manifold. Sounds like the Turbo has on under the manifold for some other reason.
When we worked on my friends Turbo S to do the thermostat housing replacement I don't think we messed with it.

Quick Reply: P0455 Large Leak