Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid LOST POWER

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Jason Nochimson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid LOST POWER

Hey guys. New to posting on this forum but I've had 7 Porsche's in 7 years. Three months ago I got a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. About a week ago I was driving home with my kids on the highway when the Engine Control Fault popped up on my display. The car then lost all power - all the electronics were working but the car would not accelerate. I had both gas and electric range. Thankfully I was driving in the right lane and I was able to pull off to the shoulder. My exit was 1/2 a mile away so I was trying to coast to a stop but the car did not make it.

Here's the weird part- I turned off the car and immediately turned the car back on and everything was fine. The engine control fault was gone and the car drove normally.

I brought the car into the dealership for diagnosis. They have NO IDEA what's wrong with it. What would you guys do about this? Would you ever take this car back when it could happen again? They were able to pull the data from the engine control fault to verify it happened but they are being very tight-lipped on specifics.

Anyone heard of this?
Old 01-16-2020, 07:15 PM
sparta
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Nochimson
Hey guys. New to posting on this forum but I've had 7 Porsche's in 7 years. Three months ago I got a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. About a week ago I was driving home with my kids on the highway when the Engine Control Fault popped up on my display. The car then lost all power - all the electronics were working but the car would not accelerate. I had both gas and electric range. Thankfully I was driving in the right lane and I was able to pull off to the shoulder. My exit was 1/2 a mile away so I was trying to coast to a stop but the car did not make it.

Here's the weird part- I turned off the car and immediately turned the car back on and everything was fine. The engine control fault was gone and the car drove normally.

I brought the car into the dealership for diagnosis. They have NO IDEA what's wrong with it. What would you guys do about this? Would you ever take this car back when it could happen again? They were able to pull the data from the engine control fault to verify it happened but they are being very tight-lipped on specifics.

Anyone heard of this?

Thats awful man. Sorry to hear about this especially from such a loyalist.

You would think after IMS and Bore-scoring bull, they would be on top of this.

they should offer a new upgraded model, all gas GTS maybe.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:26 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

As the owner of a 2018 Pan4 E-Hybrid, and having monitored the Pan4 E-Hybrid dedicated thread here for over two years now (which is very long!), I don't recall ever hearing of this problem. At least if it happens again, you can try turning the car off and on again. Zero problems in my E-Hybrid in over a year of driving, other than the occasional shifting glitch in accelerating quickly from near zero.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:00 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not good !
But same as Cometguy, don't recall reading anything like that since 2015 when i got my first one.
Between me and mt business partner we have had 5.
The 2015 cars had numerous issues ( ignition coils in mine, a new EV battery in his where the main) but the 2017 cars and my 2019 haven't really had anything ( mine had the GPS antenna issue for a long time), except to say that if they have a fault pop up, usually turning off and on again clears it.
I guess we drive computers with wheels these days.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:34 PM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

What's the milage on the car? Do you feel any misfires from the engine? Any noticeable vibrations?
Old 01-17-2020, 01:53 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

It really depends on your driving style and daily distances traveled. I typically drive about 35 miles/day when I am driving the E-Hybrid. My drive is about half freeway at speeds ~ 75-80 mph. One quarter highway with speeds from 0-60 mph (traffic lights). One quarter residential streets with speeds 0-35 mph. Under that scenario with the ICE running about half the time on the freeway and highway my average mpg is about 50. I do occasionally take longer trips to Tahoe or Southern Cal from the Bay area and then the car is mostly running on the ICE with average around 30 mpg. Also occasionally I take a "spirited" drive in the local mountains mostly ICE in Sport or Sport Plus mode and the mileage is somewhat lower. I have driven the car almost 11,000 miles thus far and my overall mileage is just over 42 mpg.

No noticeable vibrations. Change from electric mode to ICE and back is very smooth and usually don't even notice it unless suddenly accelerating very aggressively. Passengers often ask me which mode we are in and I tell them to just watch the tachometer!! I just recently had a base Panamera Sport Turismo as a loaner and there is no way I would ever consider switching out of the E-Hybrid. Base Panamera had very noticeable turbo lag and the start/stop engine drove me crazy. Power on the E-Hybrid is instantaneous and very straight line torque.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:29 PM
R32kid
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently picked up a 2018 E Hybrid with just under 50k miles and this happened to me last night; was driving in E power as normal, put it into Sport to get ready for the highway and when accelerating onto the highway the Check Engine Control message (orange) came up and told me to take it to the shop. When I got home 5 minutes later and restarted the car, the warning was gone.
Old 12-26-2023, 04:17 PM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by R32kid
I recently picked up a 2018 E Hybrid with just under 50k miles and this happened to me last night; was driving in E power as normal, put it into Sport to get ready for the highway and when accelerating onto the highway the Check Engine Control message (orange) came up and told me to take it to the shop. When I got home 5 minutes later and restarted the car, the warning was gone.
How did the car feel to you when the engine light came on? Did it feel jerky, lacking power?
Old 12-29-2023, 11:01 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This just happened to us two weeks ago as well. We were driving on the interstate and you feel a slight power loss with no other sensation and then a complete power loss and the engine was running just below normal auto RPM regardless of throttle position. We pulled off the side of the interstate, turned off the ignition and back on, and everything cleared. That is the second time in three months this has happened. 2019 Panamera e-hybrid 40k miles.

Car has been at Porsche for a few days, and they do see some faults, but are unable to reproduce the error, which it happens so infrequently that is what I would expect. They’re not sure what to do.

Last edited by Brian Wilson; 12-29-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:06 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by R32kid

EXACT same thing happened to me this weekend. Not just the error but also the conditions when it happened. Though I may have been in Sport Plus, can't remember. But I gunned it and wanted to have a little fun.

Hooked up the PIWIS and found the following stored in memory:

Fault Code P00C000 Diverter Valve, Bank 2 - open circuit
RPM at time of fault: 5177.5 Driving Speed: 95.07mph

I did not notice anything from a performance standpoint. No stumble, or any sense of lack of acceleration. The diverter valve is responsible for building pressures in the Turbo. At least in the 991.2 world, some believe its a weak link Could be the start of a failure, could be just a fluke. I'll make it a point to replicate the condition and see if it happens again. If so, I'll change out the diverter valve.