Are squeaky brakes just normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 01:46 PM
coulter
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Are squeaky brakes just normal?

2017 971 Panamera 4

I just have noticed when starting out in the morning, brakes really squeal. They are relatively fresh, dealer installed according to the records, easily have several year left of life.

As things heat up with some driving, squeal gets way quieter, I have trained my foot so I can almost eliminate it. But since I have a relatively short commute, most of it is loud brakes squealing.

I see others complain about this also, is this just the pad material?

I'm someone that usually changes my own brakes, is there an after market pad anyone recommends?
Old 11-15-2023, 12:46 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I had my dealer do a brake job all OEM and they squeal horribly. If I'm still in my 970.2 this spring, I'm going to have my indy do the brakes and keep my fingers crossed.
The following users liked this post:
coulter (11-16-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 01:38 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 660 Posts

Old 11-15-2023, 06:11 PM
coulter
Instructor

It's funny though how every other manufacturer can figure out how to make their brakes not squeal....except Porsche.
And then tell you it's because they are so high performance, they have to squeal. So you should embrace it.

Let's be honest, the Panamera is basically a luxury sedan.I could understand putting up with this on say a GT3 or something that was performance at all cost and set up for a track, but vehicles like Panameras or Cayennes are luxury barges. Make a braking system like every other car that doesn't scream at every stoplight.
lexhair (12-18-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 07:21 PM
TheStrategist
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coulter
It's funny though how every other manufacturer can figure out how to make their brakes not squeal....except Porsche.
And then tell you it's because they are so high performance, they have to squeal. So you should embrace it.

Let's be honest, the Panamera is basically a luxury sedan.I could understand putting up with this on say a GT3 or something that was performance at all cost and set up for a track, but vehicles like Panameras or Cayennes are luxury barges. Make a braking system like every other car that doesn't scream at every stoplight.
Yes and No. The Panamera is a heavy luxury car, but it has much stiffer suspension than a comparable German sedan. My 970 has carbon ceramic brakes and they perform better than the carbon ceramics on my Ferrari FF. The brakes on my Ferrari also squeak, but the Panamera's brakes squeak WAY louder.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:41 AM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

I've seen the same complaint on BMW and MB forums from when I was cross shopping cars. Its not just a Porsche thing.

With that said, I haven't noticed any on mine. Maybe has to do with environmental factors, maybe cause the car is so damn insulated that I can't hear a squeal anyway lol.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:04 AM
Andypandarific
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm wondering the same thing.

Just recently bought a 970.2 with carbon ceramcs and the brakes started to become noisy recently. It was just serviced a month ago and was going OK.

I could only assume since the temperature dropped recently there was some connection.

I'm notiing it mostly on a quick brake, as opposed to a softer braking.
coulter (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 03:31 PM
coulter
Instructor

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
I've seen the same complaint on BMW and MB forums from when I was cross shopping cars. Its not just a Porsche thing.

With that said, I haven't noticed any on mine. Maybe has to do with environmental factors, maybe cause the car is so damn insulated that I can't hear a squeal anyway lol.

I've owned several Mercedes, I have never had a brake squeal. I currently own an S550 and it's never been an issue. Maybe on AMG models?
Not saying it ever happens, it's just disappointing that it's "supposed" to be this way.

If you polled owners and said you have two options, brakes that give you 1% better performance, but squeal all the time, or ones that are silent and still give great performance, I know what I would pick.

Again, I could understand if this was some ultra high performance model that was set up for a weekends at the rack, but this car ain't that.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:51 PM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

I've owned several Mercedes, I have never had a brake squeal. I currently own an S550 and it's never been an issue. Maybe on AMG models?
Not saying it ever happens, it's just disappointing that it's "supposed" to be this way.

If you polled owners and said you have two options, brakes that give you 1% better performance, but squeal all the time, or ones that are silent and still give great performance, I know what I would pick.

Again, I could understand if this was some ultra high performance model that was set up for a weekends at the rack, but this car ain't that.
Fair, I was looking at the AMG models and BMW M cars when I was cross shopping.

I guess it wouldn't make sense for a Panamera 4 to have performance brakes, but I think Porsche uses the same kind of brakes across the board, with just different sizes and option of steel vs ceramic setups.

But personally, I haven't noticed any squeaking or squealing from my own Panamera or any other Porsche (mostly Macans and Cayennes here in NYC) I've seen drive by.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:47 AM
squareloop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 4S here, bought as CPO, supposedly plenty of brake pad remaining. Started to squeal about a month after purchase, I heard all the Porsche lines......its a performance car so the better Porsche brakes will squeal. Try the multiple interstate speed then brake hard......nothing helped. I had and Indy replace brakes and rotors, factory parts......30k+ miles of no squeals.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:52 AM
squareloop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 4S CPO here, brakes supposedly had over 50% per CPO checklist. Started squealing after a month .....I heard all the Porsche lines. Porsche brakes are performance oriented so expect squeals, try the Interstate speed and hard stops....nothing worked. I had an Indy replace the brakes with factory parts, 30k+ miles with no squeals!
Old 12-21-2023, 02:45 AM
socalcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2018 started squealing since last month. Have an oil change coming up next week and will ask dealer to check it out.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:02 AM
PanameraCharger
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

No brakes is supposed to squeal unless it’s hitting the wear indicator. A few things can cause squealing brakes which is pad choice, or pad slapping (putting new pads without replacing or resurfacing rotors). You can try applying a light coat of grease on the shims but that would require taking it apart.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:18 AM
digs
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

My 16 GTS came to me squealing, I did a full brake service with Zimmerman e-coats and Textar pads . I fully clean and anti seize everything . Car stops silently and even. Brake dust is fairly heavy ?
Old 12-21-2023, 01:57 PM
coulter
Instructor

Originally Posted by PanameraCharger
No brakes is supposed to squeal unless it’s hitting the wear indicator. A few things can cause squealing brakes which is pad choice, or pad slapping (putting new pads without replacing or resurfacing rotors). You can try applying a light coat of grease on the shims but that would require taking it apart.
Porsche though states that their brakes squeal, even when everything is in spec.

Quick Reply: Are squeaky brakes just normal?