Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Wait, the Panamera is good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:21 AM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Wait, the Panamera is good?

Here's the deal. Every time I go to a Porsche dealership, which over the last two years has been very often, I look at the Panamera and say to myself "if only it were smaller". Every time I go I say that, and I've never driven it.

I had a Macan Turbo, it wasn't quite enough for me, and I've been waiting on my 992 build to lock. I've been growing more concerned that I need AWD (the 4 and 4S 992s just are more than I'm willing to spend) and more practicality.

So, finally, after two years of looking at Panameras.. I drove one.

What the hell, guys? How is the Panamera so good? I mean.. how? It's incredibly better than a Macan Turbo and that was just driving the 4S. Is it a 911? No, obviously not, but it's WAY closer to a 911 than it is to a Macan. Sure, the new sticker price is crazy but the CPOs on these things are amazing bargains.

I cancelled my 992 allocation and I'm currently negotiating on a low mileage, 2018 Turbo Sport Turismo.

What a gem of a car. I'm just shocked.
The following 8 users liked this post by GratedWasabi:
911-140.6 (01-13-2020), AlexCeres (01-14-2020), chassis (01-16-2020), FC356 (01-14-2020), GoBlue! (01-14-2020), K777 (01-14-2020), Momvivant (01-19-2020), pokingaround (01-13-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-2020, 02:23 AM
mc-pgts
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I think it has a lot to do with the ride height. We traded in a an E92 M3 (2012) with the comp. package. Our PGTS is lower to the ground and has a lower roof line than our M3. Granted, it's ~15" longer (barely fits in our garage) and a couple inches wider.
The following users liked this post:
GratedWasabi (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 03:28 AM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, the Panamera just has more room than the Macan and as mc-pgts stated, the Panamera is lower to the ground so you get to experience the wonderfulness of driving a car rather than being seated higher as you would in a SUV. With the TTV8 and then a similar hatch/roofline as your Macan, you're definitely getting a nice compromise of both worlds...speed and utility. Good luck with your purchase on the 2018 Panamera Turbo ST and please don't forget to post a picture or two so that we can further appreciate and properly congratulate you on finally "seeing the light" about the Panameras. J/k, lol.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 301 Posts

Love my Base Panamera. Everything is perfect. Top 3 best cars ever owned.

Momvivant (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 07:32 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Several years ago my 911tt went in for some work, and I was given a loaner car from the dealer... a Pano. I absolutely wanted to hate it; expected to. But by the time I drove it home, I was amazed.... and absolutely loved it. This was NOT a 911, but it was shockingly reminiscent given its size, room, and adjustability. With sport / sport chrono the car is very tight and responsive, and quick.
Now here I am, different place in life; 11 year old daughter instructed me that the Panamera was her favorite and she expects nothing less....
I just went through about 6-8 months of shopping and finally bought one, and they are indeed popular; the good ones disappear very quickly, and in all my research, talking to current owners, etc., I found that this car has been mostly very reliable as well. There is a list depending on model year and trim, but a short one mostly.
The price for what you get is simply unbelievable; I assume they will continue to depreciate (some though are bottomed-out) given the new e-sedan and time, but the market for them I found to be very active for well-sorted examples.
I am now waiting for my 2014 4s to arrive........ I originally called on it and it had sold, so I was in the process of trying again, and 2 weeks later the phone rang as the buyer had not kept pace, so they offered it to me.

970 - 4S

Last edited by tsitz; 01-13-2020 at 07:38 AM. Reason: add photo
The following 3 users liked this post by tsitz:
Deezflip (01-14-2020), FNTSTK 4 (01-14-2020), Momvivant (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 09:06 AM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice picture! This is a good angle of the Panamera as it shows off the lines of the car really well.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:43 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

The Turbo Sport Turismo is the One Car To Rule Them All IMHO. The only thing it doesn't do is convertible...
The following 2 users liked this post by pokingaround:
lexhair (01-13-2020), RunnerBrandon (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 AM
amelen
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
What the hell, guys? How is the Panamera so good? I mean.. how? It's incredibly better than a Macan Turbo and that was just driving the 4S. Is it a 911? No, obviously not, but it's WAY closer to a 911 than it is to a Macan. Sure, the new sticker price is crazy but the CPOs on these things are amazing bargains.
I also had a Macan a few cars ago, and there is no comparison. I have Panamera now, but will probably move to a 911 cab for a next car. Don't need as much space and want a convertible But yes, the Panamera is a really great car - more fun then a lot of faster cars I've owned in the past.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:58 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I didn't really think of the Panamera as a low car, but had my parents around town when they visited us last month, and both my Mom and Dad commented that the car was so low it was difficult to get in and out of.
Since I've owned Corvette's, 911s, Miata's and Camaro's - it sure doesn't seem low to me but I guess that's all relative. My mom's car is a E60 BMW 5 series, and apparently the Panamera is a lot lower to the ground and much lower seating position as well. I guess that does explain how the car drives much more like a sports car than a smaller BMW 5 series does. And of course it won't even compare to any SUV - even a Porsche compact one in terms of handling - you would have to figure that would be the case.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:19 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

Very excited. Personally I thought it felt smaller and more nimble than either the C63S or the RS5.

Yes, the looks aren't a 911 and the sound isn't either.. but I actually like the more discreet vehicle.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:29 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Shhhh! we're trying to keep it a secret
The following 3 users liked this post by DogWood:
justabout (01-13-2020), Miggytosh (01-18-2020), Momvivant (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 03:56 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

What he said!
Momvivant (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 04:35 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
Here's the deal. Every time I go to a Porsche dealership, which over the last two years has been very often, I look at the Panamera and say to myself "if only it were smaller". Every time I go I say that, and I've never driven it.

I had a Macan Turbo, it wasn't quite enough for me, and I've been waiting on my 992 build to lock. I've been growing more concerned that I need AWD (the 4 and 4S 992s just are more than I'm willing to spend) and more practicality.

So, finally, after two years of looking at Panameras.. I drove one.

I cancelled my 992 allocation and I'm currently negotiating on a low mileage, 2018 Turbo Sport Turismo.

What a gem of a car. I'm just shocked.
I’m thinking of upgrading my Macan S to a Turbo - I’m assuming you may trade your Turbo in, when you,so would you mind sharing the spec on it and what dealer your trading in at.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 AM
Momvivant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tsitz
Several years ago my 911tt went in for some work, and I was given a loaner car from the dealer... a Pano. I absolutely wanted to hate it; expected to. But by the time I drove it home, I was amazed.... and absolutely loved it. This was NOT a 911, but it was shockingly reminiscent given its size, room, and adjustability. With sport / sport chrono the car is very tight and responsive, and quick.
Now here I am, different place in life; 11 year old daughter instructed me that the Panamera was her favorite and she expects nothing less....
I just went through about 6-8 months of shopping and finally bought one, and they are indeed popular; the good ones disappear very quickly, and in all my research, talking to current owners, etc., I found that this car has been mostly very reliable as well. There is a list depending on model year and trim, but a short one mostly.
The price for what you get is simply unbelievable; I assume they will continue to depreciate (some though are bottomed-out) given the new e-sedan and time, but the market for them I found to be very active for well-sorted examples.
I am now waiting for my 2014 4s to arrive........ I originally called on it and it had sold, so I was in the process of trying again, and 2 weeks later the phone rang as the buyer had not kept pace, so they offered it to me.

970 - 4S
It’s funny what our children put into our heads! My 10 year old used the Panamera to pump himself up during a tennis tournament by saying that his mom would get a Panamera! He went from nearly being bageled to winning that set. Until that point, I had always loved the car but never entered my head to get one.

Ironically, it was my sister who showed up to my house in SoCal with one that made me really look. She lives in the Hamptons and spontaneously found one out here that was preowned.

I’m not a sports car owner like many of you, but I love driving this car. It’s crazy how easy it is to cruise up to 90MPH here on the freeways or toll roads without realizing it until my son tells me to mind the speed limit.

DogWood (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 06:39 AM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

I rented one at Enterprise, something like a day into the rental I knew I was going to buy one. I had intended to pick one up when I returned from that trip but instant gratification was not to be had; it took a few months to find my options and deal.

Quick Reply: Wait, the Panamera is good?