Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Assistance Systems Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 12:53 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Assistance Systems Opinion

Good morning. I'm looking at getting a Panamera E-Hybrid.

Can anyone give me their opinion of any of the assistance systems? The Lane Change Assist is pretty straightforward and is on my Cayenne, but how about any of the others?
  • InnoDrive
  • Lane Keep Assist
  • Park Assist
  • AAC
I know it is not going to be Telsa like in terms of self driving on the highway, but trying to get an idea of much these items would help long distance travel.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:37 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

I have ACC on mine, love it, makes highway driving smooth and easy
Old 12-19-2019, 09:08 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Innodrive is a horrid failure when it is maintaining set speed limits, when it's not it's just doing what ACC does except at greatly increased cost. Get Innodrive only if you feel you have too much money and some should be thrown away needlessly without even getting a hangover for the spend and/or need to commit an act of self loathing to punish yourself after cheating on the ol lady. Lane keep assist is a take it or leave it option. I like it but only use it when I'm tired and worried about falling asleep or I'll turn it on for a minute while doing something like digging in the center console. This is facilitated by having the dedicated assist button which can bring you directly to the assist menu where you can enable or disable them on the fly. Yes, I fell asleep and was in an accident some years ago, the damage was minor but the lesson was learned. I leave it off most of the time, for me it's an occasional use item. Park assist is a get it if you can swing it option for anyone and something to consider a short list item if you live in the big city or have to negotiate tight spots frequently. It's a big car and you sit low in the cockpit so the views out aren't what they would be if sitting higher. You'll find yourself shoehorning this car a great deal when parking and the cameras make it easier. You didn't ask but I'd also give the RWS a very serious look if you're a city driver, really helps get it around in those tight spots. The ACC works as expected and I'll put a check in that box on every car, to me this isn't optional, it's mandatory. But that's me, you may see it differently.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:19 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

ACC is great. Use it all the time.

Innodrive is terrible IMO - concur completely with @krabman . Total waste of money. You can't set a permanent delta to speed limit (e.g. "always go 10mph over the speed limit"). Every time the existing speed limit changes you have to tell it to go back to the delta. Worse, it's very sensitive to unimportant speed limit changes from on/off ramps and the like. Hard pass.

LKA is annoying - I turned it off on my car. What's *really* annoying about it is that you cannot have it react with light/sound warnings alone. It's only that *and* corrective steering. I'd actually love to be able to set just a sound and/or dash-light warning and not have it steer the car. But Porsche doesn't allow for that. Such an obvious thing and yet...

RWS is a 100% must-have IMO.

All these came on my car as I bought it off the lot. But if I ever order one, no way I'm paying for any but ACC and RWS unless they make major improvements to them.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:41 PM
krabman
Pro

I'm in Portugal right now so I can't check but I'm thinking you can keep the warning without the steering assist. You may want to consider giving it a menu dive; can't swear 100% on this one poking so if you've already done it then disregard.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:53 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by krabman
I'm in Portugal right now so I can't check but I'm thinking you can keep the warning without the steering assist. You may want to consider giving it a menu dive; can't swear 100% on this one poking so if you've already done it then disregard.
I'd LOVE to be wrong about this! I've looked in the menus but can't find this if it exists. When back from Portugal (jealous btw) if you don't mind looking I'd appreciate it as I'd really like that functionality!
Old 12-21-2019, 12:22 PM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the full assist package on our 971. I have to respectfully disagree with those who have panned innodrive, I primarily use full assist on the interstate/highways. Innodrive in Boston traffic with the traffic jam assist is fantastic. And as we are country mice, the forward thermal night vision camera has prevented at least one deer collision. Being familiar with marine autopilot systems I can say that while these systems are great they can not be considered partially, semi-, or even maybe-autonomous. But they are damn good for what they are. In my experience the lane keeping feature when engaged with innodrive works well even with the poor lane markings we have to live with.

As to the comment about maintaining a constant delta, or at least not reverting to the posted speed limit. It is possible to shut off the default to speed limit feature in the sub menu so that your speed remains constant regardless of posting changes. Forward speed still does decrease to match speed of leading vehicles as you close and enter the safe following zone.

I personally leave the default to posted speed limit in place. In Massachusetts we have nasty fines and surcharges for speeding violations in construction zones on top of the general fine & surcharge for speeding. Our surcharges are penalties added to insurance premiums for moving violations for several years after the fact. At changes in posted speed if I don’t want to slow down I just hold the gas pedal down and push & hold the lower stalk forward to hold speed.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:28 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HankB
I have the full assist package on our 971. I have to respectfully disagree with those who have panned innodrive, I primarily use full assist on the interstate/highways. Innodrive in Boston traffic with the traffic jam assist is fantastic. And as we are country mice, the forward thermal night vision camera has prevented at least one deer collision. Being familiar with marine autopilot systems I can say that while these systems are great they can not be considered partially, semi-, or even maybe-autonomous. But they are damn good for what they are. In my experience the lane keeping feature when engaged with innodrive works well even with the poor lane markings we have to live with.

As to the comment about maintaining a constant delta, or at least not reverting to the posted speed limit. It is possible to shut off the default to speed limit feature in the sub menu so that your speed remains constant regardless of posting changes. Forward speed still does decrease to match speed of leading vehicles as you close and enter the safe following zone.

I personally leave the default to posted speed limit in place. In Massachusetts we have nasty fines and surcharges for speeding violations in construction zones on top of the general fine & surcharge for speeding. Our surcharges are penalties added to insurance premiums for moving violations for several years after the fact. At changes in posted speed if I don’t want to slow down I just hold the gas pedal down and push & hold the lower stalk forward to hold speed.
I'm glad it's working for you. I find the exact opposite. The only thing worse than ID on a highway is ID on country roads (we have the same where I am in northern Westchester County, NY).
Old 12-24-2019, 05:08 PM
Strassenkurven
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
LKA is annoying - I turned it off on my car. What's *really* annoying about it is that you cannot have it react with light/sound warnings alone. It's only that *and* corrective steering. I'd actually love to be able to set just a sound and/or dash-light warning and not have it steer the car. But Porsche doesn't allow for that. Such an obvious thing and yet...
this makes me sad. The LCA in the 970 is nice and unobtrusive. It simply notifies with a sound. I'd want that ability in a 971 as well
Old 12-28-2019, 01:29 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

I got Innodrive and LKA only because it was cheaper for me to get the Assistance Package -- as I wanted ACC and the "Night Vision" infrared camera, and the Package made it cheaper than buying them separately. I'd never pay for Innodrive or LKA otherwise, but I suppose it might help resale value (for those who don't know how absurd they are). The ACC in my 2018 Panamera and 2019 Macan works superbly. I like the infrared camera, also -- very cool and useful.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:09 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a big difference between Lane Change Assist (LCA) and Lane Keep Assist (LKA). On the 971 LCA works by showing a red light in the side view mirror when there is a car approaching. Not aware of any audible sound. Lane Keep Assist is the option most people don't want or if they have it they keep it turned off. It does impact steering and is obtrusive.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 02:41 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Strassenkurven
this makes me sad. The LCA in the 970 is nice and unobtrusive. It simply notifies with a sound. I'd want that ability in a 971 as well
don’t be sad. LCA is still great and unobtrusive. LKA is different and we hates them, Sméagol.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:19 AM
krabman
Pro

Try pushing the assist hard button shortcut Poking and see if the right hand bottom two choices include one for turning off lane keep assist while keeping the warning. Still can't check, in Spain now.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (12-29-2019)
Old 01-03-2020, 02:04 PM
Strassenkurven
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
don’t be sad. LCA is still great and unobtrusive. LKA is different and we hates them, Sméagol.
sorry.. I'm not talking about blind spot detection. I'm talking about the lane keeping function that exists in the 970s where it's aware of the lanes and provides an audible warning when you get too close, but does not actively do anything else.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:32 PM
krabman
Pro

I'm still thinking you can do that, still cant check myself, in 971s hit the assist hard menu button and then on the lower right of the PCM screen tow of the options may be of interest: If I remember right one of them is the one people are asking for although I may be suffering from too old and cant remember feces anymore syndrome.

Quick Reply: Assistance Systems Opinion