Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Assistance Systems Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 01:06 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Couldn't disagree more about RWS being a waste of money. The # of degrees the rear wheels turn isn't the point. It's the feel and practical difference provided by the system. In slow rolling, tight areas, it's a miracle. Car feels like it's rotating on its central axis. No more broken U turns, pretty much ever. And parking, etc. become so much easier. And at speed you can feel the difference in lane changes. They're almost telepathic with RWS. I've driven cars with and without it and would insist on it in a vehicle the size of the 971. It's not unlike the trunk volume difference between the sedan and the ST. If you cite the difference in square footage you'd think it made no difference. However, in practice, that additional space is exactly where you want it, and combined with the lower load height makes a meaningful real world difference.
Well, I haven't tried it out ... seems that few cars at dealerships have it in a vehicle that you can test drive. I have heard others say what you've said here...
Old 01-14-2020, 01:07 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by krabman
Nah, it's the same as the newer cars here, it will flash if you tell it not to mind the speed limit, if you don't it will instantly slow the car and if you have a delta set you must react within a brief window to maintain the delta. The only thing Innodrive gives you that I would call beneficial is the traffic jam; it will start and stop itself without the timer you have on the ACC. In ownership what you'll find yourself doing is leaving it in PID with consider speed limits off or leaving it in ACC. Both of which just really give you ACC except for one version of ACC costs another k and gives you nothing but dash punching frustration unless you neuter it and turn it back into ACC with a fancy name to hang your extra 1k spend on. I don't recommend checking that box unless you're going to get the vision, then it can make sense as it can reduce the entry fee. Other than that it's very difficult to recommend.
Yeah, I got Innodrive and LKA only because I wanted both ACC and the "Night Vision" camera, and it was cheaper to get the Assistance Package than the two a la carte...
Old 01-14-2020, 01:28 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Not sure how much you have driven the 971 without RWS?? In any case, I've been driving my E-Hybrid without it for two years and I had the loaner for three days and I was not impressed at all. I tried it in tight parking situations and yes there was a slight difference but I would not say it was "rotating on its central axis". To me there was only a very slight benefit and to be fair I avoid ever parking my car in tight situations, I'd rather just walk a little further. As for changing lanes at speed or driving aggressively on windy roads (I drove the loaner on skyline from Saratoga to Woodside and back) I didn't notice much difference at all. To be fair that may in part be due to the different driving experience between the base Panamera and the E-Hybrid. For me the extra low center of gravity weight and horsepower in the E-Hybrid really "sticks" the car to the road. I guess if you have to park in tight garages it may make sense.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:04 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with the telepathy thing with rear wheel, it's almost like the car starts changing lanes before you move the wheel, it's a hard sensation to describe but I noticed it immediately. Also appreciate the tighter turn radius, I do have to take my car into tight places and the extra crank is most def helpful. I would get it again without question. Not an option that's in your face but one that makes the car work better in the day to day.
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (01-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Assistance Systems Opinion