Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Assistance Systems Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 06:16 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by krabman
I'm still thinking you can do that, still cant check myself, in 971s hit the assist hard menu button and then on the lower right of the PCM screen tow of the options may be of interest: If I remember right one of them is the one people are asking for although I may be suffering from too old and cant remember feces anymore syndrome.
Sorry - I will try this asap thanks!
Old 01-04-2020, 03:29 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Strassenkurven
sorry.. I'm not talking about blind spot detection. I'm talking about the lane keeping function that exists in the 970s where it's aware of the lanes and provides an audible warning when you get too close, but does not actively do anything else.
I'm still thinking you can do that, still cant check myself, in 971s hit the assist hard menu button and then on the lower right of the PCM screen tow of the options may be of interest: If I remember right one of them is the one people are asking for although I may be suffering from too old and cant remember feces anymore syndrome.
Ok hoping I can get to the bottom of whether it's possible in the 971 to have LKA only give the audible warning but not apply resistance to the steering wheel. I tried just now but no joy. Here are some photos of my screens, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I press this button, as instructed.

It brings up the same screen btw as if I'd pressed the button on the left side of the PCM called Assist:

If I turn off LKA, "Surrounding Assist" also turns off:

LKA turns back on when I turn Surrounding Assist back on. And, Surround Assist turns back on if I turn LKA back on. There doesn't seem a way to control those independently. Not sure if that matters.

Only other choice is to go into the Assist drop down:

In the LKA selection there are 2 options:

As seen here you can change the volume of the tone or turn it off:

However in the Intervention other option, you cannot turn it off. You can only make it early or late:

So I'm either missing something (very possible!) or you cannot do this in a 971.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

BTW I will send someone one internet dollar if they can solve this for me!
Old 01-04-2020, 04:09 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

If surround is turned off you do not get the warning?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:50 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

I will have to check but I assume not. Problem is IIRC if I first turn Surround off, everything else on the screen also turns off. I will check next time in car...
Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My interpretation of the Surrounding Assistance soft button is that it is a one touch button for activating all of the systems, so it’s only function is to turn everything on or off.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:49 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HankB
My interpretation of the Surrounding Assistance soft button is that it is a one touch button for activating all of the systems, so it’s only function is to turn everything on or off.
I think you may be right @HankB .

Well I missed one thing when I checked - you can in fact turn LKA on/off without it automatically activating Surrounding Assist.

Here, with LKA off, the green guidance lines never came on, no sound, no steering wheel control, so LKA is definitely/obviously off.

Here, with LKA on but Surrounding Assist off, LKA worked as it always seems to in my car, i.e. with steering wheel control.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 AM
krabman
Pro

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of so it appears it's all or nothing. Going back to the original topic I have to say it surprised me that someone is using the Innodrive, it really is so annoying that I hadn't imagined it possible.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:22 AM
nut855
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks to everyone on this thread, I’ve removed Innodrive from my build and saved some cash.
Question - Can ACC on its own function at all speeds down to a stop? Innodrive comes with “Traffic Jam Assist”. What is that and is ACC handicapped by not having that included?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:54 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

So first to answer your question, yes, ACC will control your speed all the way down to a full stop. When I first picked up my 2018 Panamera 4 e-Hybrid in Los Angeles I immediately turned it on. Subsequently while driving in the LA freeway traffic, the ACC did an excellent job of controlling my speed moving up to full speed and then down to a full stop repeatedly without me having to intervene at all except to steer the car. Recently I took my car in for the most recent recall and they gave me a 2018 Panamera Sport Turismo (base model) that had lots of bells and whistles including Innodrive, LKA, night vision, etc. I am so glad I didn't include any of those options on my custom build. Also, for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would choose the base Panamera vs. the E-Hybrid. After the federal rebate the difference in cost is very small and yet you get instant torque vs. noticeable turbo lag in the base model. significantly more horsepower and much better driveabillty overall. The LKA on the loaner was very annoying and the night vision was difficult to see at best. I guess if you live out in the country with lots of animals in the road it might be useful but I think for most people it is a waste of money, especially given how good the headlights are on the Panamera. The loaner also had the four wheel steering option. I did notice it made the car a little more manueverable in parking lots, but I really wasn't all that impressed with the 4 wheel steering option either.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:05 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

The ACC will start up again from a full stop if it's only a couple of seconds; but after a while, it disengages and you have to tap the accelerator pedal lightly to start up again.
Yeah, Innodrive and LKA are so absurd that I think they should not offer them and lower the price of the car accordingly. (Same with Tesla's Autopilot, in my opinion.)

Saratoga, I agree about the night-vision camera in terms of the screen being hard to see behind the steering wheel, and the camera is placed way too low on the car -- but the concept is excellent, and I have picked up people down the street at night with my infrared camera long before I could actually see them (especially with glary oncoming headlights or glary light pollution from the sides of the road). The new Taycan places the screen dead-center in the instrument panel because they don't have the tachometer to deal with (I frankly think it's time to do away with the analog tachometer in 4-door Porsches with ICEs to allow more flexibility; every other automaker selling new vehicles for under $200k has done so, haven't they?). I think that the whole design with the instrument gauge in Panamera and Cayenne now is wrong; even besides the tachometer, the speedometer on the left of the tach is absurd -- nobody looks at it (you look at the digital speed on the tach), and I would like to see that space made identical to the digital ring to the right of the tachometer, so that you can have multiple windows up at the same time (one on the left, one on the right)... Now, when you have the map or the night-vision screen, you can't see ANY of the other screens on the right side, and it would be great to have them appear on the left side instead of that useless speedometer with a crappy scale that's hard to read.

I wouldn't waste my money on rear-axle steering, for sure; that always has seemed like a gimmick for Porsche to make more money (the steering angle is only like 2-7 degrees, as I recall -- very minimal). And regarding the E-Hybrid -- yeah, I don't understand why anybody would choose even a Panamera 4S over a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid (forget about the base 4) -- and ditto with the Cayenne (I'd choose the E-Hybrid over the base Cayenne or Cayenne S and don't understand why others wouldn't also, for the reasons you state).

Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM
pinballplanet
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

My experience to date with RAS has been very positive. I park in a very tight parking garage with steep short ramps. I am finding that my P4ST is more maneuverable in this specific situation than my Audi Q3 which is taller and 20” shorter in length.

Park assist is also useful, especially if you are not used to such a large car.

Also, I find Traffic Jam Assist quite helpful in bumper to bumper traffic on my daily commute.

So, it depends on how and where you drive, and whether you feel like paying for options you may or may not use.

I’m happy I got these options. YMMV.

edit: to clarify, mine is a 2020 e-hybrid

Last edited by pinballplanet; 01-13-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:43 PM
Capital Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a long-term Porsche salesperson, I remember getting our first Innodrive Panamera several years ago. I drove it home, and it sucked. On a Sunday afternoon, I was cruising at 45 mph on a [45 mph limit] single-lane road, and came to a school zone. The car abruptly slowed down to 20 mph, and displayed "20 mph [signage] "School Zone" [yellow signage]. So, I had the experience and never ordered or recommended Innodrive again. (But ACC Adaptive Cruise Control is excellent, and I recommend it on every car)

UNTIL this past year. I was at the training program for the Cayenne E3 in May 2018, and one of the demo cars had the NEW generation of Innodrive, and it was much less intrusive. It would simply flash when you exceeded the speed, but it wouldn't auto-correct. I still don't have a lot of experience with the new Innodrive, and I don't remember all the idiosyncrasies, but I would absolutely recommend it for some vehicles and some drivers. For example, the hybrid models and especially the Taycan--Innodrive will consider the topography and plan the usage of electric drive to maximize efficiency. That's pretty cool.

Basically, if I were ordering a 2016 Panamera, I'd get ACC. If I were ordering a Taycan, I'd get Innodrive. If it was a 2020 Panamera... I'd still probably get Innodrive. Plus, you can switch modes back to ACC if you find some of the "features" to be a nuisance.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:04 AM
krabman
Pro

Nah, it's the same as the newer cars here, it will flash if you tell it not to mind the speed limit, if you don't it will instantly slow the car and if you have a delta set you must react within a brief window to maintain the delta. The only thing Innodrive gives you that I would call beneficial is the traffic jam; it will start and stop itself without the timer you have on the ACC. In ownership what you'll find yourself doing is leaving it in PID with consider speed limits off or leaving it in ACC. Both of which just really give you ACC except for one version of ACC costs another k and gives you nothing but dash punching frustration unless you neuter it and turn it back into ACC with a fancy name to hang your extra 1k spend on. I don't recommend checking that box unless you're going to get the vision, then it can make sense as it can reduce the entry fee. Other than that it's very difficult to recommend.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:41 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Couldn't disagree more about RWS being a waste of money. The # of degrees the rear wheels turn isn't the point. It's the feel and practical difference provided by the system. In slow rolling, tight areas, it's a miracle. Car feels like it's rotating on its central axis. No more broken U turns, pretty much ever. And parking, etc. become so much easier. And at speed you can feel the difference in lane changes. They're almost telepathic with RWS. I've driven cars with and without it and would insist on it in a vehicle the size of the 971. It's not unlike the trunk volume difference between the sedan and the ST. If you cite the difference in square footage you'd think it made no difference. However, in practice, that additional space is exactly where you want it, and combined with the lower load height makes a meaningful real world difference.

Quick Reply: Assistance Systems Opinion