Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Hill Hold on 2015 GTS w PDK.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 11:40 PM
gregf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill Hold on 2015 GTS w PDK.

Any way to turn this off? Or tricks how to use it? I was waiting to turn onto a very busy road this afternoon from a slight inclined parking lot. Damn thing engages, then keeps me from going forward when I want to enter traffic at the right time not to get clobbered. Then launches - also damn dangerous because of the timing. I would completely disable it if I could. My almost 18 yr old BMW xDrive just holds the car in place w/o slipping back on hills - then you start up in a controlled manner. Ugh!
Old 06-02-2019, 12:02 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Agreed that it's a bit intrusive, but try to control it by manually braking to keep it from engaging. If and when it does, don't hesitate to step on the gas as I've found it the only way to get it out of this mode and resume control. Not the Panny's best feature IMO.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:28 AM
gregf
Intermediate

Thanks Jim,

I pretty much never touch the emergency brake and would never use it with an automatic transmission underway unless all else failed (don't know if that's what you were referring to by suggesting 'manually braking'). The instance today was just damn dangerous - as I didn't have any running room when it engaged before pulling out into traffic on a rural road where drivers were going 70 or so. It's a fruit stand that I visit every few days, kind of in a hole off the roadway hence the ramp up to exit - so I will encounter it again. This is the worst - absolute worst -- accelerator control I have ever had on a car. It doesn't engage when backing up for 5 or more seconds, so parking is a nightmare. Even backing out of my driveway I never know exactly when it is going to kick in. I drive the car in Sport mode around town to compensate for the lag going forward. Then this Hold mess. I will probably get a Sprint Booster to see if that helps with the general lag issue. Maybe it would help keep the Hold from engaging?

I don't know if this is amplified by the power of the GTS -- my wife's '18 Macan S has similar issues, but they seem much less pronounced and more manageable. I was ready to toss the car the first couple of weeks I got it, then figured I'd settle in and drive it for awhile until the right replacement came up (911 S or 4S about the same vintage, carrying capacity be damned!). Great power and handling out on the road, but an unpredictable mess in close quarters. But I'm tempted to just park it and go back to my old BMW for everyday and '87 Targa for fun runs. Nice to have choices I suppose.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:29 AM
gregf
Intermediate

Great copper color by the way.

G
Old 06-02-2019, 09:29 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 236 Posts

The hill hold on manual transmission 991.1 is dangerous for the same reason you noted. You need to go and you get hesitation. I’ve had to alter my commute because of it. Many on the 991 forum hate it but others like it. Other brands with this feature are less intrusive. It should be selectable.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:53 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Gregf - I wasn't referring to the emergency brake, but the normal brake. I have a similar repeatable issue in my parking garage that I've been able to manage by intercepting this feature by early braking in attempt to prevent this 'hill hold' feature from activating. I hope you can get used to it as it would be a shame to keep you from driving such a fabulous car.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:48 PM
gregf
Intermediate

Good input and disturbing. I have been looking around for a 991 to possibly replace the Panamera. Will be very unhappy to run into the same issue. And yes - any of these 'big brother' features should be selectable. I do just fine with the 5 speed and hand brake in my '87 ... And, as noted, my originally 38K '02 BMW has an AWD automatic that holds the car from rolling backwards on a hill, but does not affect the forward control. Seems like for $125K 13 years later Porsche could figure out a similar solution.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:01 PM
gregf
Intermediate

I've been working on ways to deal with the accelerator hesitation, to some success. Also braking - damn near got whiplash when I first got the car because they are so effective. I don't trade cars often, so was looking to get away from having concerns about the operation of my daily driver. While still getting the thrill of the Porsche.If you have to baby the thing and constantly be vigilant to overcome issues, there is always the possibility of that time when you're a little tired or whatever and not on top of it. At which point, this sort of behavior is just not OK, because it can result in an accident. I had to be right up to the edge of the highway, brake on, so I could see oncoming traffic where there was limited visibility. And have to car go when I wanted it to - to get into a whole in the speeding traffic. Fortunately, when I did pull out the 440 horses shot me ahead like a moon rocket - which I very much appreciate. But still, very nerve wracking.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:01 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Try putting it in 1st gear manually? Normal or Sport mode starts in 2nd gear. 1st gear engagement may be smoother on launch.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:03 PM
gregf
Intermediate

If that will overcome the Hill Hold, that would be great. I'll give it a try.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:58 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by gregf
Any way to turn this off? Or tricks how to use it? I was waiting to turn onto a very busy road this afternoon from a slight inclined parking lot. Damn thing engages, then keeps me from going forward when I want to enter traffic at the right time not to get clobbered. Then launches - also damn dangerous because of the timing. I would completely disable it if I could. My almost 18 yr old BMW xDrive just holds the car in place w/o slipping back on hills - then you start up in a controlled manner. Ugh!
Don't feather the gas if it's engaged. If you see it's engaged, manually drop the PDK into 1st and get into the gas pedal. Gives you a chance to get some noise out of it as well when you start in 1. PDK won't kick back in for 4-5 seconds which can seem like an eternity so a quick left and right on the gear lever will bring PDK back early if you so choose.

Personally, I wish the feature activated all the time like it did in my old BMW F07. Never kept my foot on the brake at a stop light. Car held uphill, downhill and level. Throttle response on that one was bad so I got used to getting into the gas pedal off the line but that thing could run away. The Panamera is much easier to control with the throttle.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:23 PM
gregf
Intermediate

A little calmer about it now. I just went out on a dead end rural road and played with it. Definitely more controlled when starting in 1st. I actually am happier having it not engage suddenly, so it seems if I start with light gas pedal it disengages and then I'm back in command. And no lag if in 1st manual after that point. We'll see next time I am in a day to day situation with it. The thing I really hate is being second guessed by the car and surprised when it doesn't do what I am expecting.

Still haven't got a solution to lag in reverse. Don't seem to be able to drop that into manual.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

So far, other than some chatter, I haven't noticed the HOLD function kicking in at odd times. If you're not expecting it, and you are kind of riding the brake, you can feel the car take over and its annoying but I have never really felt it was unsafe. I haven't had some of these other issues with it myself.

Is the hold function disengaged in sport and sport chrono? I ask this because I spend 99% of my time driving in those modes.

I also spend a lot of time driving in manual mode, actually using the paddles. Probably 51% of the time. The car simply driving better manually shifting like the GTR does. It really feels and acts like a computer operated clutch. It even sounds like one sometimes. This is good or bad depending on your perspective, but I can honestly say this is the first car that I've actually WANTED to use the paddles on.
No question that the non sport mode automatic is sluggish and unresponsive. I don't like that it starts out in 2nd. The car move much slower with an even pedal out of 1st gear. Sport mode should also default to starting out of 1st gear even if it shifts out of it very quickly. 1st gear is VERY short. The accelerator has no sensitivity then suddenly you're giving it too much gas with the boost and lurching forward. This has been improved with tuning and with sprint booster module for some people, but I've just resolved to drive in sport mode or use the paddles. \

What I will add, yes the car is a little sluggish driving lazy, but as opposed to many other sporty sedans, the Panamera actually becomes better the harder you drive it.

I have also noticed its laggy and kind of underpowered in reverse. The opposite what true in the RS7 you had to ride the brake or it would just take off in reverse. I prefer the car being lazy in reverse....though it can be annoying when you're on a hill or reversing or some uneven surfaces in a driveway.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:08 PM
mikelectic
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed the HOLD feature is a nuisance but you do get used to it as it seems you are. I press on the gas slowly to have it disengage before punching it.

Quick Reply: Hill Hold on 2015 GTS w PDK.