Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
sorry but I see the 992 as competitor to mb s, bmw 8, aston, Maserati, etc. p coupe is redundant imo
LOL the 911 platform is not in any way meant to compete with a luxury sedan in any way. Sorry no. Totally different market with a ritually different purpose from the ground up.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:36 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i know its hard for the porsche fanatic to understand the truth of their beloved 911 but customers cross shop it with bmw, amg, jaguar, maserati, and aston. its not the sports car it once was (30 yrs ago).
how do i know this? know someone in auto market research. sorry to burst bubbles here
Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't have a horse in this race and can see the merit of both sides, but that said:
Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i know its hard for the porsche fanatic to understand the truth of their beloved 911 but customers cross shop it with bmw, amg, jaguar, maserati, and aston. its not the sports car it once was (30 yrs ago).
how do i know this? know someone in auto market research. sorry to burst bubbles here
The point of the thread ======================================== > Here is where 95spiderman is.

I literally have no idea what you're even arguing about. Zero.

You can cross shop a Range Rover HSE with a 911 too. That doesn't mean the car is being marketed or intended for the same buyer. From a pure cost of the car, sure there are a ton of cars in the price range of a 911. That literally has no bearing on this conversation at all. Are there other cars with similar performance? Yes. The corvette Z06, R8, NSX, GTR. Just because there is a rear "seat" doesn't put it in the same class of cars as a performance sedan. That's just being obtuse.

The question was simply is there a place for a Panamera Coupe? Obviously there could be as other manufacturers are out there making them.

Would a Panamera coupe sell? It might, but it literally has zero in common with the 911 at all. Not in size, not in weight, not in room, not in engine location, not in weight distribution, not in utility, not in comfort nothing. They are literally completely different platforms of car, with an entirely different purpose, and targeted at a completely different buyer.

Is it possible that someone might buy a Panamera Coupe over a 911? Yep. What does Porsche care? Porsche is more likely to lose the purchase to another car manufacturer than sell 1 less 911. The person who wants the 911 is typically going to buy the 911 or similar sports car. The person that would want a Panamera Coupe is more likely going to be looking at an M6, Maseratti GT, Bently GT, S63 type of performance sedan. So its more likely that a Panamera Coupe would take buyers from other brands by giving them a Porsche option, than it would be leeching sales from a 911.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would submit that the V8 alone and 2doors less is worth the price of admission. Nothing like that V8 sound.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:29 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
The point of the thread ======================================== > Here is where 95spiderman is.

I literally have no idea what you're even arguing about. Zero.

You can cross shop a Range Rover HSE with a 911 too. That doesn't mean the car is being marketed or intended for the same buyer. From a pure cost of the car, sure there are a ton of cars in the price range of a 911. That literally has no bearing on this conversation at all. Are there other cars with similar performance? Yes. The corvette Z06, R8, NSX, GTR. Just because there is a rear "seat" doesn't put it in the same class of cars as a performance sedan. That's just being obtuse.

The question was simply is there a place for a Panamera Coupe? Obviously there could be as other manufacturers are out there making them.

Would a Panamera coupe sell? It might, but it literally has zero in common with the 911 at all. Not in size, not in weight, not in room, not in engine location, not in weight distribution, not in utility, not in comfort nothing. They are literally completely different platforms of car, with an entirely different purpose, and targeted at a completely different buyer.

Is it possible that someone might buy a Panamera Coupe over a 911? Yep. What does Porsche care? Porsche is more likely to lose the purchase to another car manufacturer than sell 1 less 911. The person who wants the 911 is typically going to buy the 911 or similar sports car. The person that would want a Panamera Coupe is more likely going to be looking at an M6, Maseratti GT, Bently GT, S63 type of performance sedan. So its more likely that a Panamera Coupe would take buyers from other brands by giving them a Porsche option, than it would be leeching sales from a 911.

nope nope nope. a pana coupe would be completely redundant with the 992. does not matter where the engine is or if it has 6 or 8 cylinders or if the back seats are merely bad or truly awful. the person buying a (non gt version) of a 992 would not consider it any different than any of the other high price euro lux gt cars. porsche makes the gt versions for sports car enthusiasts. regular 992 is a gt car same as a pana coupe would be. other than for the few arguing with me here, there is no reason to make one since the 992 already fulfills that market. if im wrong we will see a pana coupe, if im right (and i am) it will exist only in this thread
Old 05-08-2019, 12:08 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

and to make matters worse for porsches bottom line, coupe would be priced same as 992 which would further cannibalize sales from themselves. why would a company make 2 similar products and price them the same? ridiculous and wont happen
Old 05-12-2019, 11:35 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer confirmed both coupe and convertible versions as most likely 21/22's...

Quick Reply: Coupe