Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

I'm a garage door opener, PCM Apps, PCC app idiot, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:06 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts
Default I'm a garage door opener, PCM Apps, PCC app idiot, please help!

Brief background. Took delivery of a new 2018 PTT ST yesterday, finally got to play with it today. Bought remotely from a dealer 1000+ miles away. Took it to a local dealer and found a salesman nice enough to give me a "delivery" experience even though I hadn't purchased from him. He was kind enough to walk me through all sorts of things I'd seen in the manual, but was that much more helpful to have a guide in person. Here's what I need help with (this is AFTER 45 minutes on the phone with 800-PORSCHE...), in order of my thread title:

1) Garage door opening buttons. I showed the salesman my garage remote, and he said not to bother because it's a rotating frequency remote and that I'd have to set it at the motor in the garage. Once home, I tried several times to go through the process as guided by the PCM screen, but could not get the car to open my garage door no matter what I tried (I also tried teaching the code directly from garage remote to the car, no joy). I didn't have a chance to trouble shoot this with the phone rep because we spent all my time on the second issue...

2) The salesman got my PCM Apps up and running, but on the way home they stopped working. I called 800-PORSCHE and blew 45 minutes on the phone with someone who could not figure out the issue. Kept saying she was resetting the apps, kept saying that her system showed the car set up for them, etc. I entered in the 8 digit code and it took. But no Apps. I get a message saying that the services aren't available, to check porsche.com/connect-store. She had no idea what that meant.

3) I've installed the PCC app on my phone, but when prompted to enter my PCC code, I enter the 5 digit code I got via text, and....nothing. The Authentication wheels spins briefly, but the app leaves me on the screen to enter the code. The 800-PORSCHE rep did confirm that my car should have these services working for 1 year, but we didn't get to troubleshoot it as I blew all my time with her trying to get the PCM Apps working.

I welcome any/all help with this, and appreciate it in advance.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2019, 05:48 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

SOLUTION
Your garage door opener is very likely on the same frequency as your lane assist.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:49 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

check here https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...omelink-2.html for your garage door issue
Old 03-02-2019, 01:18 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Brief background. Took delivery of a new 2018 PTT ST yesterday, finally got to play with it today. Bought remotely from a dealer 1000+ miles away. Took it to a local dealer and found a salesman nice enough to give me a "delivery" experience even though I hadn't purchased from him. He was kind enough to walk me through all sorts of things I'd seen in the manual, but was that much more helpful to have a guide in person. Here's what I need help with (this is AFTER 45 minutes on the phone with 800-PORSCHE...), in order of my thread title:

1) Garage door opening buttons. I showed the salesman my garage remote, and he said not to bother because it's a rotating frequency remote and that I'd have to set it at the motor in the garage. Once home, I tried several times to go through the process as guided by the PCM screen, but could not get the car to open my garage door no matter what I tried (I also tried teaching the code directly from garage remote to the car, no joy). I didn't have a chance to trouble shoot this with the phone rep because we spent all my time on the second issue...

2) The salesman got my PCM Apps up and running, but on the way home they stopped working. I called 800-PORSCHE and blew 45 minutes on the phone with someone who could not figure out the issue. Kept saying she was resetting the apps, kept saying that her system showed the car set up for them, etc. I entered in the 8 digit code and it took. But no Apps. I get a message saying that the services aren't available, to check porsche.com/connect-store. She had no idea what that meant.

3) I've installed the PCC app on my phone, but when prompted to enter my PCC code, I enter the 5 digit code I got via text, and....nothing. The Authentication wheels spins briefly, but the app leaves me on the screen to enter the code. The 800-PORSCHE rep did confirm that my car should have these services working for 1 year, but we didn't get to troubleshoot it as I blew all my time with her trying to get the PCM Apps working.

I welcome any/all help with this, and appreciate it in advance.

Thanks!
Regarding the apps... I see that your car is a 2018 and they might of turned it on early when the car took to the dealership. At time of delivery your Porsche Salesman should of created a connect account for you, activated the free trial for the Connect Apps and given you the free 10gigs worth of data from ATT. In my 2017 PTT, my sim card for the ATT is not embedded. It is a physical card that goes in the slot.In my 2019 CTT, there is a sim card slot but the car has an embedded sim that it runs off of. I believe you need to have data to run the in car apps such as google earth, weather, POI..etc...

If it is embedded, you can just go to the ATT website and plug in your vin. Activate it for $20 unlimited data. If it needs a sim, you can walk into any Porsche dealership and tell them your situation. They should be able to activate it at the dealership and give you the sim. If not, just walk into an ATT store and pick it up there. YOu have to first determine if it is embedded or necessary to get a sim. I had the same issues as well and it drove me crazy.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:59 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
SOLUTION
Your garage door opener is very likely on the same frequency as your lane assist.
Originally Posted by DogWood
check here https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...omelink-2.html for your garage door issue
Thanks guys, and, uh, wow! That's quite a thing. I actually did get to the 'must be synchronized' step, pressed the Learn button on my garage door opener, but didn't know what to do from there (i.e. press and hold the button in the Porsche for 2 second, 2-3 times). I'll try this before removing the fuses. Oy.

Originally Posted by fkim011
Regarding the apps... I see that your car is a 2018 and they might of turned it on early when the car took to the dealership. At time of delivery your Porsche Salesman should of created a connect account for you, activated the free trial for the Connect Apps and given you the free 10gigs worth of data from ATT. In my 2017 PTT, my sim card for the ATT is not embedded. It is a physical card that goes in the slot.In my 2019 CTT, there is a sim card slot but the car has an embedded sim that it runs off of. I believe you need to have data to run the in car apps such as google earth, weather, POI..etc...

If it is embedded, you can just go to the ATT website and plug in your vin. Activate it for $20 unlimited data. If it needs a sim, you can walk into any Porsche dealership and tell them your situation. They should be able to activate it at the dealership and give you the sim. If not, just walk into an ATT store and pick it up there. YOu have to first determine if it is embedded or necessary to get a sim. I had the same issues as well and it drove me crazy.
Many thanks for this. A few notes/questions however. The friendly salesperson *was* able to get the apps working. But then they just stopped by the time I got home. Does this tell you anything, i.e. do I even have a SIM? I must, right? I ask because the 800-Porsche lady kept trying to get me to push the SIM in. Thing is, in the glove box I see three slots - 2 for SD cards, one labeled SIM. But, I can't see whether there's a SIM inside (it's certainly not sticking out of the slot), nor do I see any way to Eject, or try to Eject, the SIM.

Also, I went to the AT&T site and was able to activate a 3GB free trial, though the site seemed focused on hot-spot capability (which I'm not interested in) rather than data for the vehicle itself. It also pushed me to sign up for some sort of recurring plan - not so interested in that before knowing how much data I'm going to use. I really only want the weather widget in my home screen, and the google maps in the nav system. Any thoughts there??

EDIT:

-Success, for the moment, with the garage door programming. I did the two 2-second button presses after hitting the Learn button at the garage door, and that worked. Let's see if it holds/remembers the code. I saw from those linked threads that some cars seem to lose the memory of the code after a week or two. If mine does, I guess I'll pull the fuses.

-For the Apps, setting up the free AT&T 3GB/3mo trial seemed to work. I'll monitor my rate of data usage, but hopefully by limiting it to the Weather widget on my Home screen, plus Google Earth in maps.

Still no joy getting the PCC app to accept the code. Any other thoughts/suggestions about this are most welcomed.

SECOND EDIT:
I noticed somewhere on the Porsche site that talked about the PCC app it said that for the Panamera (and a few other models) there was an 'additional step' to go through. I clicked and it took me to a Vodafonetelematics.com URL. Kind of weird, and it was a multi-step process from there, but, it generated an 8 digit "installation code", mixing letters and numbers, that can *only* be entered/set up by a dealer, at a dealership. So now I have to take the car back to the dealer to have them do that.

I get that these systems are somewhat complex, but kind of annoying to have to go through all this.

Last edited by pokingaround; 03-04-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:37 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Thanks guys, and, uh, wow! That's quite a thing. I actually did get to the 'must be synchronized' step, pressed the Learn button on my garage door opener, but didn't know what to do from there (i.e. press and hold the button in the Porsche for 2 second, 2-3 times). I'll try this before removing the fuses. Oy.

Many thanks for this. A few notes/questions however. The friendly salesperson *was* able to get the apps working. But then they just stopped by the time I got home. Does this tell you anything, i.e. do I even have a SIM? I must, right? I ask because the 800-Porsche lady kept trying to get me to push the SIM in. Thing is, in the glove box I see three slots - 2 for SD cards, one labeled SIM. But, I can't see whether there's a SIM inside (it's certainly not sticking out of the slot), nor do I see any way to Eject, or try to Eject, the SIM.

Also, I went to the AT&T site and was able to activate a 3GB free trial, though the site seemed focused on hot-spot capability (which I'm not interested in) rather than data for the vehicle itself. It also pushed me to sign up for some sort of recurring plan - not so interested in that before knowing how much data I'm going to use. I really only want the weather widget in my home screen, and the google maps in the nav system. Any thoughts there??

EDIT:

-Success, for the moment, with the garage door programming. I did the two 2-second button presses after hitting the Learn button at the garage door, and that worked. Let's see if it holds/remembers the code. I saw from those linked threads that some cars seem to lose the memory of the code after a week or two. If mine does, I guess I'll pull the fuses.

-For the Apps, setting up the free AT&T 3GB/3mo trial seemed to work. I'll monitor my rate of data usage, but hopefully by limiting it to the Weather widget on my Home screen, plus Google Earth in maps.

Still no joy getting the PCC app to accept the code. Any other thoughts/suggestions about this are most welcomed.

SECOND EDIT:
I noticed somewhere on the Porsche site that talked about the PCC app it said that for the Panamera (and a few other models) there was an 'additional step' to go through. I clicked and it took me to a Vodafonetelematics.com URL. Kind of weird, and it was a multi-step process from there, but, it generated an 8 digit "installation code", mixing letters and numbers, that can *only* be entered/set up by a dealer, at a dealership. So now I have to take the car back to the dealer to have them do that.

I get that these systems are somewhat complex, but kind of annoying to have to go through all this.
Sounds like you have the embedded sim. When the car is at the dealership they activate a "demo" like run of the apps. When you purchased your car, I believe the data and signal for your apps turns off until you get the Data working on the consumer end of things. It takes up to 5-7 days for you to stop receiving data. This probably what happened.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:45 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fkim011
Sounds like you have the embedded sim. When the car is at the dealership they activate a "demo" like run of the apps. When you purchased your car, I believe the data and signal for your apps turns off until you get the Data working on the consumer end of things. It takes up to 5-7 days for you to stop receiving data. This probably what happened.
Many thanks. Interesting. And sort of silly that neither the selling dealer nor the one I took it to locally could say this so succinctly! Sort of reminds me of the early days of cars having Sirus built in, with a 12 month free trial. Getting those accounts up and running, and then paid after the 12 months, was a PITA at first.

Quick Reply: I'm a garage door opener, PCM Apps, PCC app idiot, please help!