Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Homelink/Garage Door opener issues with 2018 971 Panamera 4S ST - SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 12:53 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Homelink/Garage Door opener issues with 2018 971 Panamera 4S ST - SOLVED

I figured this deserved it's own thread for those looking for help on this issue.

I finally got both garage doors programmed (home and work). Here's how i did it for those who are interested.
Firstly, program the one that doesn't respond at all and requires the fuse removal method. My home liftmaster remote wasn't recognized by the vehicle at all until i removed the two fuses under the passenger seat. Then i could program without issue in 1 minute, no problem.
Then i programmed the work opener as it didn't require any fuse removal.
You need to do it in this order because i did the reverse (work first, then home with fuse removal) and while the home worked, it seemed to erase the work button memory for the vehicle that i did in the first place.

I suspect the LCA (lane change assist) operates around/near the same frequency as some of the garage door remote controllers. 315, 390 MHz? I really have no idea, just a wild guess as to why disabling homelink allows programming for some remotes.
Since there is a way to disable LCA without removing fuses, perhaps someone can try disabling lca in the menu first and see if that works as well.

My home garage door opener is a Liftmaster Professional Formula 1 (3280 model i believe) and the remove is model 373LM which operates at 315MHz.
My work opener is a Liftmaster as well (unsure what model) and the remote is model 893LM which operates at 310, 315 and 390 MHz.
Hope this helps anyone out there still having issues and perhaps this will shed more light on what the problem really is.

UPDATE: I contacted homelink to see if they could help understand this issue a bit better. Here is their answer:
Thank you for contacting HomeLink. The purple learn button on the garage door opener indicates that it runs at a 315MHz RF (radio frequency). One of the features included in the Premium Plus trim level is running at the same 315MHz RF. This is causing an interference in programming. At this time, please contact your Porsche dealership and reference "Advance Technical Information 1805" in their Porsche Partner Network software to resolve this issue.

Last edited by CanuckGT4; 11-07-2018 at 02:31 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CanuckGT4:
droptable (12-02-2022), jmabshire (04-08-2023), MKC91 (03-04-2022), trekker (06-11-2021)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:36 PM
rjg7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve been trying for 6 months on my 2018 Panamera...took it to dealer and they said they don’t know what the issue is...called garage door opener (Chamberlain) and they said i had to spend $100 bucks on a new transmitter...i followed the instructions on removing the Lane Change Assist fuses underneath the passenger seat and BINGO! Programmed my remote in literally 3 minutes. Put fuses back in and all is good!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM
wvalters
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an update from my end, the fuse pull did not work, and i just got some info from my dealer. Porsche recognizes there are some vehicles that have an additional issue. PCNA is still trying to work out the repair on that, and do not have an actual ETA. Apparently there are a few vehicles from my dealer that have this issue, but as to exactly what it is the service dept at the dealer does not have specifics ...
Old 12-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Matril01
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this VERY helpful post...if for no other reason to prove to myself that I'm not insane. My Porsche service adviser has no idea what "Advance Technical Information 1805" in their Porsche Partner Network" is...I think he is just lazy. At any rate, I've spent about 1 1/2 trying to program my 2018 Pan 4 E-Hybrid's Homelink buttons...with no success. Can you please LMK which fuses to remove to try the method that worked for you? Thx!
Old 12-05-2018, 07:09 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matril01
Thank you for this VERY helpful post...if for no other reason to prove to myself that I'm not insane. My Porsche service adviser has no idea what "Advance Technical Information 1805" in their Porsche Partner Network" is...I think he is just lazy. At any rate, I've spent about 1 1/2 trying to program my 2018 Pan 4 E-Hybrid's Homelink buttons...with no success. Can you please LMK which fuses to remove to try the method that worked for you? Thx!
The link was in the original first post.
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post14974248

My local dealer said the same thing, they are clueless! I had to educate them and their service department.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:49 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I've posted before that the fuse pull didn't work on my 2018 E-Hybrid. My dealer replaced the Homelink module in my car and that solved my problem. Didn't need to remove the fuses; the replacement module worked perfectly.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:08 AM
petelp
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're considering trying to program the opener by removing the fuses, and have looked at the photo and msg linked to in the first post above, please read this following link before proceeding:

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post15383709

I believe you'll find it helpful.

I say that because in the few weeks since I've posted the instructions I'm linking to here, about six people report having tried and succeeded. Prior to my posting of those instructions, and over a period of 6 months since the original fuse related post, no one had reported success. (and a rep at my dealer also admitted previously giving up halfway through the process, getting stuck on opening the fuse box. He was not a service repair man btw.)

So please check out the link

Last edited by petelp; 12-07-2018 at 02:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TurboLove (03-14-2023)
Old 12-07-2018, 02:34 AM
petelp
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I've posted before that the fuse pull didn't work on my 2018 E-Hybrid. My dealer replaced the Homelink module in my car and that solved my problem. Didn't need to remove the fuses; the replacement module worked perfectly.
A few questions about your situation, (before getting your homelink module changed):

1) Do you have lane change assist? (btw, this fix is only supposed to work if you DO have lane change assist)

2) When you were failing, did you successfully get to the point in the process where the PCM informs you that it had memorized your code, but before the PCM asked if it works and offers synchronization. (The fuse removal is only intended to get you to this point. It's not expected to solve problems that occur after this.)

3) If you DID get a confirmation from PCM that they completed memorizing your remote's code, did you do the synchronization steps?

4) If you did the synchronization steps, Are you certain you found the proper button on your main opener for the synchronization process ?

5) During synchronization, did you try pressing the porsche's newly programmed remote three times, giving about a second for each try.

6) What make and model and year is your main garage door opener, what was the color of the button.

I'm trying to see if we can tell in advance which method would work best (changing the homelink module vs the fuse removal)
Old 04-17-2020, 10:06 PM
oyinko
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi!

I got my 2020 Panamera 4S delivered yesterday. Unfortunately I can’t pair homelink. The car doesn’t recognize any signal from the remote during step 1.

My garage door is a lifmaster chamberlain formula 1. I tried new battery and 2 remotes.

My garage was able to sync without any issue with my 2020 Porsche Boxster and a Tesla Model 3.

I read about the fuse to disable the assistance but I wasn’t able to locate them specifically in the fuse box. I removed few of them, got a bunch of warnings one the dash, but it didn’t help. The airbag warning is still on...

My service advisor told me I should deactivate the assistance in the PCM before trying to pair the remote but it did not help.

Do you see anything else I should try?
Old 04-17-2020, 10:52 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oyinko
Hi!

I got my 2020 Panamera 4S delivered yesterday. Unfortunately I can’t pair homelink. The car doesn’t recognize any signal from the remote during step 1.

My garage door is a lifmaster chamberlain formula 1. I tried new battery and 2 remotes.

My garage was able to sync without any issue with my 2020 Porsche Boxster and a Tesla Model 3.

I read about the fuse to disable the assistance but I wasn’t able to locate them specifically in the fuse box. I removed few of them, got a bunch of warnings one the dash, but it didn’t help. The airbag warning is still on...

My service advisor told me I should deactivate the assistance in the PCM before trying to pair the remote but it did not help.

Do you see anything else I should try?
My to car went in for service and they reset the PCM so I had to re do the garage door opener again last week. You HAVE to find the fuses and remove them before trying to program otherwise it will not work. Garage door openers and the side assist are on the same frequency. Fuses are located under the front passenger seat, takes 2 minutes total to remove, program and put fuses back. Follow instructions, it will work.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:07 AM
oyinko
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
My to car went in for service and they reset the PCM so I had to re do the garage door opener again last week. You HAVE to find the fuses and remove them before trying to program otherwise it will not work. Garage door openers and the side assist are on the same frequency. Fuses are located under the front passenger seat, takes 2 minutes total to remove, program and put fuses back. Follow instructions, it will work.
On the 2020 Panamera, the fuse box is located on the passenger side next to the feet and NOT under the seat. I was able to locate the fuse box but couldn't find the fuse related to the side assist.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:57 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I hope the fuse removal will work for you but it didn't for me. I tried everything and eventually took my Chamberlain transmitter to my dealer and let them try it. They could not get it to even begin the connection in my car, but they were able to do so with another Panamera on the lot. So the bottom line was they ordered a new Homelink module from Porsche and once they installed it everything worked perfectly. No need to remove the LCA fuses; it just connected right away. That was about 18 months ago and everything has been fine. I posted my story earlier on this thread. Obviously Porsche is aware that some of the Homelink modules were bad.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:46 AM
trekker
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this great info! Solved my problem on my 2018 Panamera. Your link to fuse removal was very helpful. Gotta say, I've never seen fuses so buried and protected in any vehicle! Wow, talk about overkill!

Thanks again!!
petelp (06-11-2021)
Old 03-01-2022, 01:30 PM
jmabshire
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Know its been a few years but thanks for posting, after jacking around with this thing I turned to Rennlist with a solution!!
petelp (03-02-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 05:19 PM
lopott
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New to me 2018 ehyrid 4 with lane assist etc. tried pulling the fuses and no luck still with programming. I have liftmaster openers. I don't have warranty so interested in anyothers solution. can bring to dealer if necessary.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Homelink/Garage Door opener issues with 2018 971 Panamera 4S ST - SOLVED