Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Winter Pics

Old 01-24-2019, 09:50 PM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They were known for suction cup devices to use on fiberglass boats. Drilling holes in fiberglass boats can be problematic.

BTW, all the cup holders we ever bought always seemed to be a bust, falling off after they got old. If this were my rack I’d keep a close eye on the suction cup condition.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Archer1021

Just took a couple quick pics during the snow storm.

had the car on lift mode.
Originally Posted by rsyed
I have to admit. Coming from a rear wheel drive BMW, I never thought I could appreciate an 4-wheel drive. I have to admit I was wrong. This car gets up anything with ease. Well impressed...

he
Originally Posted by K777
Also came from BMW's, slightest incline and slightest layer of snow, slithered about all over the place. Shocking. My 640d would be stuck in the snow in your pic.
Loving 4 wheel drive
Originally Posted by HankB
I haven’t been out yet after this weekend’s snow delivery. I’m thinking it’s time to roll out the Q5. After thanksgiving I had to make an unexpected trip out to Ohio that could not be accomplished with airline schedules and ended up driving. On the way out and return I got caught in lake effect snow and got a fair amount of snow driving. The nose tends to ice up real fast, the down side of led lighting. The forward radar, camera and thermal imaging all tend to fade fast as well once the snow starts sticking to the car. But no real detriment as that’s about the time you need to be on manual pilot. Snow handling is pretty good for a big car with fat tires, but not as good as my Macan was with winter scorpions, or my wife’s old A6. And not even close to the Silverado 2500 that was my old work daily driver.
Originally Posted by mm1

For those who didn’t specify but said snow traction was good, are you on stock all seasons?
Old 02-14-2019, 10:34 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I do not drive in the winter in all-season tires. I use all-season's for the summer but dedicated snow and ice tires for the winter. The car drives great w/ them and is quiet on the open road.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skiracer
I do not drive in the winter in all-season tires. I use all-season's for the summer but dedicated snow and ice tires for the winter. The car drives great w/ them and is quiet on the open road.
What snow tires do you use? And do you swap them onto the OEM wheels or did you buy educated wheel? Which ones if so please thanks!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I have my 4 set up on 19" O.Z. Cortina wheels and Michelin Alpin Sport PA4 N specs for winter. Still have the OEM 20" wheels set with all seasons michelin pilot sports but they go away for the winter. Car is an absolute tank in up to 3" of untreated road. Very good performance in cold weather as well.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:32 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

i have pirelli winter tires.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:46 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lexhair
I have my 4 set up on 19" O.Z. Cortina wheels and Michelin Alpin Sport PA4 N specs for winter. Still have the OEM 20" wheels set with all seasons michelin pilot sports but they go away for the winter. Car is an absolute tank in up to 3" of untreated road. Very good performance in cold weather as well.
Did you get these through a Porsche dealer, or Tirerack or the like?

i have pirelli winter tires.
Do you swap them onto OEM rims, or get something else dedicated?

I ask because the 'official' winter wheel/tire packages from Porsche are $5200-7600 which seems crazy cakes for 2-3 months/year.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:51 PM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by pokingaround
I have a local tire guy who stores them offseason for me. Been doing business with him for over a decade.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:05 AM
vkb123
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

I have 3 full sets of 20” OEM “shoes” for my ‘14 4S. The tires are all N-SPEC (Porsche approved). My wife thinks I’m crazy but I have the storage space and the ability to change them on my own as I see fit.

Summer: Turbo II wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Winter: Panamera Sport wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Spring & Fall: RS Spyder wheels (GT look with gloss black spokes and machined lip) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (all season)

My car came new with stock Continental tires and very poor wear characteristics. Then put on Pirelli PZero summer tires and hated them (harsh and very poor wear characteristics). Love my current set up - best tire for every season! Favourite is the A/S Plus. Amazing traction, quiet, comfortable, and best wear any any tire to date. PA4’s are great on the snow and ice.

Would love to have Turbo III and Sport Classic wheels too to round out my “shoe” collection but already have enough invested!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:35 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround

Do you swap them onto OEM rims, or get something else dedicated?

I ask because the 'official' winter wheel/tire packages from Porsche are $5200-7600 which seems crazy cakes for 2-3 months/year.
I have 2 sets of 21" wheels - one set with winter tires on them, one set with summer tires on them. I store all sets in my garage and change the wheels myself. Most probably in my next life, I would just buy tires and have the tires remounted on one set of alloys now that I found a tire shop that can mount and remove the old tire fully automatically.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:11 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Archer1021

Just took a couple quick pics during the snow storm.

had the car on lift mode.
Not to hijack the thread, but did you intentionally deploy the spoiler for the picture, or do that in winter weather?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vkb123
I have 3 full sets of 20” OEM “shoes” for my ‘14 4S. The tires are all N-SPEC (Porsche approved). My wife thinks I’m crazy but I have the storage space and the ability to change them on my own as I see fit.

Summer: Turbo II wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Winter: Panamera Sport wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Spring & Fall: RS Spyder wheels (GT look with gloss black spokes and machined lip) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (all season)

My car came new with stock Continental tires and very poor wear characteristics. Then put on Pirelli PZero summer tires and hated them (harsh and very poor wear characteristics). Love my current set up - best tire for every season! Favourite is the A/S Plus. Amazing traction, quiet, comfortable, and best wear any any tire to date. PA4’s are great on the snow and ice.

Would love to have Turbo III and Sport Classic wheels too to round out my “shoe” collection but already have enough invested!
I can relate! Jealous of your set up. I don't have the space for that unfortunately.

I have 2 sets of 21" wheels - one set with winter tires on them, one set with summer tires on them. I store all sets in my garage and change the wheels myself. Most probably in my next life, I would just buy tires and have the tires remounted on one set of alloys now that I found a tire shop that can mount and remove the old tire fully automatically.
This has occurred to me...local guy charges about $160 to swap a full set of tires on/off rims. So, 2X/year = $320. It would take me 10 years (!) to breakeven on a set of $3000 wheels (what Porsche implicitly charges in its set up given that the tires are +/- $500 each in that $5200 set they sell).
Old 02-15-2019, 10:43 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
This is what I have as well, although my 19" are the stock OEM wheels for winter and Savini 20" custom wheels for the summer. This thread is the first I've ever heard of an owner having a 3rd set of wheels/tires for spring and fall - jealous!!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:35 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Thinking about ordering this set up from Tire Rack, a little under $2500 delivered. So my math earlier was a little off. But it'd still take 8+ years of swaps at $320/year to break even against buying the 20" wheel/tire set up from Porsche at $5200. Also easier to deal with as tires alone are obviously much lighter to move around than are tires + wheels. I also may be able to skip this year as my PTT won't arrive until late Feb. That puts me at nearly 9 years of ownership. I know that "anything can happen" but in all my decades on this rock I've never owned a vehicle for more than 7 years.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:04 PM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by skiracer
This is what I have as well, although my 19" are the stock OEM wheels for winter and Savini 20" custom wheels for the summer. This thread is the first I've ever heard of an owner having a 3rd set of wheels/tires for spring and fall - jealous!!
I think I've got another season on the A/S Michelins and then I'll put Pilot Sport 4S on. As much as I've liked Pirellis and had them on other cars, I like the Michellins on my 970.2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Pics