Panamera 2010-Current

Winter Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 01:18 AM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HankB
They were known for suction cup devices to use on fiberglass boats. Drilling holes in fiberglass boats can be problematic. BTW, all the cup holders we ever bought always seemed to be a bust, falling off after they got old. If this were my rack I’d keep a close eye on the suction cup condition.
Tested recently at "significant speed" and no issues, full suction on arrival. That's not to say they'll be perfect but I'll keep an eye on them and report in a year or so.

Originally Posted by pokingaround

For those who didn’t specify but said snow traction was good, are you on stock all seasons?
I'm on All-Seasons and would report they aren't that great in ice/snow. Just too wide, we'll be getting another pair for next season. I'm fortunate to work from home mostly and have a SUV with new snow tires on it. Just waiting for some more options and thought they might be OK, but I'd rather have dedicated snows for sure.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Archer1021
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi, Im the original poster.

I have two other Bentleys that I swap out the Pirellis summers for Pirelli winter sottozeros. I have done this in the past with 2 s63s I owned and I absolutely hate changing tires all the time.

I have the all seasons and they work great in the summer for performance and pretty good in the winter. I have driven them through 5+ inches of snow/ice and as long as you stay within a reasonable speed limit, the car will not fail you on turns, stops, or inclines.

Mind you, I also have a cayenne with high profile all seasons that I will drive when snow is consistently falling and I have an after work or weekend engagement. If it snows during week, I just need to get my car home. Im not out doing long distance snow driving, If I was, I would prob get dedicated winters.

But it was nice not spending an extra 3 K for the 21 inch winter Pirellis.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:39 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 PTT and it has nearly new (more than break-in period of 200 mi but less than 400 miles) and I took it up Yosemite in the snow. They required chains but I was let through. I felt unsafe as the car was sliding here and there going 5-10mph and I didn't want to take any chances. I turned back around. Very uncomfortable driving in the snow (granted it was my first time).

I have 265/35ZR-21 PIRELLI P ZERO NERO GT XL in the front and 305/30ZR-21 PIRELLI P ZERO NERO GT XL in the back which are all season tires.

Was I being too cautious or nervous? It didn't handle as well as I thought it would.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:37 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
I have a 2010 PTT and it has nearly new (more than break-in period of 200 mi but less than 400 miles) and I took it up Yosemite in the snow. They required chains but I was let through. I felt unsafe as the car was sliding here and there going 5-10mph and I didn't want to take any chances. I turned back around. Very uncomfortable driving in the snow (granted it was my first time).

I have 265/35ZR-21 PIRELLI P ZERO NERO GT XL in the front and 305/30ZR-21 PIRELLI P ZERO NERO GT XL in the back which are all season tires.

Was I being too cautious or nervous? It didn't handle as well as I thought it would.
I think that if you were uncomfortable then you did the right thing in turning back. You also may have experienced the limitations of all season tires. They’re not as good as summer tires in the heat, nor snow tires in the cold/snow. Nature of the beast as the compound can only be formulated to be optimized for use within a given temperature range.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:49 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX

living in Austria and going to the alps often for skiing, I can confirm that this is the normal behavior in snow. Snow tires reduces sliding and thereby improves traction but it will never be comparable with the grip you have on a nice spring day with summer tires.

Snow tires allow you to slide your way up the the hill, summer tires would have resulted you having to call a tow truck to tow you down the hill - that is the difference.

Last edited by rsyed; 02-28-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's my winter pic or video as the case may be, you'll have to wait or jump to the end to see the Panamera

Quick Reply: Winter Pics