2018 Panamera 4S in the shop for almost 2 months

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:40 PM
sandydlc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2018 Panamera 4S in the shop for almost 2 months

Hello all,

I took delivery of a leased 2018 Panamera 4S on April 30th of this year. It was totally customized/ordered earlier this year. About mid-June I started getting an error related to the airbag system so I made an appointment with my local dealer to get it addressed. On June 26th, I went to get in the car and there was a new error "Transmission Failure". Needless to say I called Porsche right away and requested a tow. My car was brought into the dealership and I was given a Macan as a loaner. Supposedly the transmission failure error was a bad sensor and it was repaired within a couple of weeks. The airbag system error remains.

Shockingly it's now August 13th and the song remains the same - "sorry your car has not been repaired, sorry, we don't have an ETA on the parts". This has been going on despite me getting in touch with the service manager, the manager of the dealership and finally with Porsche of North America. Supposedly my case has been escalated to Germany. The best they're offering me at this point is to pay for my lease for the two months it's been in the shop but what is the most upsetting is that there is no end in sight. So I'm stuck in a lease on a car that I don't have access to and Porsche cannot tell me when the needed parts will arrive from Germany. I'm also a boat owner and very familiar with being given the run-around when there is a design flaw that the manufacturer doesn't want to admit to.

My first question for you - are there any known issues with the 2018 Panamera 4S? What options do I have to get out of the lease? Does it make sense to accept my vehicle after it's been repaired or should I be leery about the construction of this specific vehicle - what other problems will crop up? I hadn't even owned the vehicle for two months before it started generating serious errors. Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

My 2015 Boxster GTS was a dream in comparison...

Sandy
Old 08-14-2018, 03:58 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

That’s an easy Lemon Law case for you to win. Over 30 days in the shop is a Lemon in CA. Refer to your warranty manual and contact the warranty company. You don’t need a lawyer it’s a simple process. I went through something similar on my Macan. Contact them immediately and explain the situation. They will walk you through the steps. You will end up with a brand new car. I wouldn’t want that other car back if it was me.

Edit: Fill out the paperwork and submit it to the warranty company and they will set up a hearing date. Ask them whether you should accept your car back if it’s fixed before your hearing date. It shouldn’t affect anything either way. The over 30 consecutive days in the shop for the same issue qualifies as a Lemon in CA I believe. Every state has different criteria though.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 08-14-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:00 AM
sandydlc
Track Day

Thanks for the information. I’m in Washington state and one of the criterias for a lemon law case is more than 30 days in the shop. I’ve easily exceeded that. I’ll contact the office of the Attorney General tomorrow. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:49 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sandydlc
The best they're offering me at this point is to pay for my lease for the two months
That's a typical solution from their end. I had the same with an Audi before. Good thing you're leasing, because it gets a lot more complicated if you bought the car (they have nothing to cover and aren't allowed to hand you cash). I wound up with money to the Audi store and now own 10 Audi umbrella's lol.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 PM
amelen
Pro

Thanks for the information. I’m in Washington state and one of the criterias for a lemon law case is more than 30 days in the shop. I’ve easily exceeded that. I’ll contact the office of the Attorney General tomorrow. Thank you!
I also tried using the lemon law with my Audi A7 before. Although I never fully went through with it, it prompted them to help me get into a new Audi. So at the very least, it usually gets them to the negotiation table.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Im sorry to hear about your issues with the panny, but I've been there with my old P4S, was in the dealership for 2 months or so, Pick it up one week, check engine for another issue, send to the dealership, check engine again for another issue. this pretty much was the case for 8 weeks. After the 8th week, picked up the car hoping no check engine while I drive it straight to CarMax and sold it. I feel sorry for the next guy who ends up getting that car. There were like 10 plus repairs/issues with that car in the span of 8 weeks straight. Thank god for Extended full warranty or else I would have been up the creek, and that car would have been a paper weight on the side of the road.

Lemon law only works on the same ISSUE 2-3 times that they can't fix or something. https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf
Mine would have worked for this as it was different issue 8 different times. In a 991 now and can't be more happier.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:01 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Im sorry to hear about your issues with the panny, but I've been there with my old P4S, was in the dealership for 2 months or so, Pick it up one week, check engine for another issue, send to the dealership, check engine again for another issue. this pretty much was the case for 8 weeks. After the 8th week, picked up the car hoping no check engine while I drive it straight to CarMax and sold it. I feel sorry for the next guy who ends up getting that car. There were like 10 plus repairs/issues with that car in the span of 8 weeks straight. Thank god for Extended full warranty or else I would have been up the creek, and that car would have been a paper weight on the side of the road.

Lemon law only works on the same ISSUE 2-3 times that they can't fix or something. https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf
Mine would have worked for this as it was different issue 8 different times. In a 991 now and can't be more happier.
Did you get any compensation from Porsche in your case?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

No,

I was just so sick and tired of the issues with that car, some right after getting it back from 1st dealer after 4 back to back issues, and 2 dealerships to get things fixed. All went downhill once Porsche did the major recall for the cam bolt, after that everything went to **** and problems weekly for 8 weeks straight. Lesson learned I do major history checks on the cars regardless if it was CPO.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 AM
sandydlc
Track Day

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S

My vehicle has been in the shop for the same issue since I took it in - well over the 30 days to qualify for the lemon law in Washington:

https://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazona...ON6-2013_1.pdf
"3. A vehicle has been out-of-service for diagnosis or repair of one or more nonconformities or serious safety defects (whether or not repaired) for a cumulative total of 30* calendar days, with at least one ‘attempt’ for each defect and 15* of those days occurring during the “eligibility period.”"

The salesperson that I bought it from thinks I should continue trying to negotiate with Porsche NA before going through with a lemon law claim. I've worked with him before on two other vehicles and he's the best salesperson I've worked with bar none. I'm inclined to give this a little more time but not much more. Porsche NA called today, apologizing, but still no new information on when the parts needed for my car will be available.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:31 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

You have a lot more leverage to negotiate with Porsche NA once a hearing date is set. They know they will lose the case, so having the hearing date looming puts you in a strong position. However, what would you even accept to take the car back and cancel the date? Six months no lease payment after you get the car back? Three months payments may not be worth it when you could just get a new car instead. Figure out how much cash you need from them to make it worth keeping your car and risking the headache of future problems. If you decide on six months ask for twelve first. They negotiated back and forth with me a couple times before I got what I wanted.

Once you accept a settlement from them you sign a waiver and can not claim lemon law on this vehicle for this issue. You may be able to claim on a separate issue depending on the state. I wouldn’t waste time negotiating until you have the hearing date set up.

Edit: Right now there’s no urgency on their part. They contacted you and apologized. That’s fine but it’s not getting you the car you wanted any faster. Once you set a hearing date the clock starts ticking, your case gets elevated, and someone much higher up contacts you, I forget her name. They want to settle with you before the hearing since the hearing is a waste of money for them, they can’t win. I felt so much better when I filled everything out and a hearing date was set because now I had an exact timeframe of when their would finally be a resolution.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 08-15-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:30 PM
sandydlc
Track Day

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
You have a lot more leverage to negotiate with Porsche NA once a hearing date is set. They know they will lose the case, so having the hearing date looming puts you in a strong position. However, what would you even accept to take the car back and cancel the date? Six months no lease payment after you get the car back? Three months payments may not be worth it when you could just get a new car instead. Figure out how much cash you need from them to make it worth keeping your car and risking the headache of future problems. If you decide on six months ask for twelve first. They negotiated back and forth with me a couple times before I got what I wanted.

Once you accept a settlement from them you sign a waiver and can not claim lemon law on this vehicle for this issue. You may be able to claim on a separate issue depending on the state. I wouldn’t waste time negotiating until you have the hearing date set up.

Edit: Right now there’s no urgency on their part. They contacted you and apologized. That’s fine but it’s not getting you the car you wanted any faster. Once you set a hearing date the clock starts ticking, your case gets elevated, and someone much higher up contacts you, I forget her name. They want to settle with you before the hearing since the hearing is a waste of money for them, they can’t win. I felt so much better when I filled everything out and a hearing date was set because now I had an exact timeframe of when their would finally be a resolution.
I called the AG's office and spoke with one of the reps. She was very helpful and let me know that the representative for Porsche for the West Coast is very responsive and that they've never had a Porsche case actually make it to arbitration. I then called and spoke to the rep from Porsche NA that I've been working with and let her know that I'm in contact with the AG's office and that I'm considering filing a lemon law claim. She then asked what my ideal outcome would be and I told her replacement of my vehicle since at this point they cannot even give me an ETA for the repair (after nearly two months). I expressed my frustration at both the lack of urgency in dealing with my car as well as the lack of transparency regarding what is truly wrong with it.

About 30 minutes later I received a call from Porsche NA again and was told that my case has been escalated to the West Coast rep and that she will be taking over my case. I should hear back from her before the end of the week. I'll be sure to report back any new developments. Thanks again for the great feedback!
Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 AM
911topanamera
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

What an awful situation, my car was in the shop for 3 weeks but I dont think I was close to a lemon claim since they knew what was up, just took a while to ship stuff. Hope it works out!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:39 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

Fingers crossed
Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Hope for the best for you and things go your way. Sucks having to pay for a brand new car for 2 months and not even able to use it.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:35 PM
jrjunior31
Advanced

I called the AG's office and spoke with one of the reps. She was very helpful and let me know that the representative for Porsche for the West Coast is very responsive and that they've never had a Porsche case actually make it to arbitration. I then called and spoke to the rep from Porsche NA that I've been working with and let her know that I'm in contact with the AG's office and that I'm considering filing a lemon law claim. She then asked what my ideal outcome would be and I told her replacement of my vehicle since at this point they cannot even give me an ETA for the repair (after nearly two months). I expressed my frustration at both the lack of urgency in dealing with my car as well as the lack of transparency regarding what is truly wrong with it.

About 30 minutes later I received a call from Porsche NA again and was told that my case has been escalated to the West Coast rep and that she will be taking over my case. I should hear back from her before the end of the week. I'll be sure to report back any new developments. Thanks again for the great feedback!
I can't believe it's been almost 2 months and they don't know whats wrong, I've never heard of a car being in the shop that long without them knowing the issue. The car is a total lemon I don't think there's any point in taking it back. They may as well just replace your vehicle ASAP, the hearing is a complete waste of time and money for them, there's zero chance they can win. The consumer is extremely well protected by the lemon law, if a criteria is met it's pretty black and white, and you have far exceeded the 30-day criteria. Glad you have the ball rolling and hopefully it won't be a drawn out process for you.

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera 4S in the shop for almost 2 months