Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

yes, I agree that USA state license plates are pretty ugly, generally (almost all of them -- especially those with images on them, and in general, the more colors on a license plate, the uglier they are).
I'd certainly vote for a simpler, better-shaped, more uniform plate like the Europeans use.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:07 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
That's a pretty nice dealership w/ a PTS 718 and two rear wiper 911s.
here you go...

Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, just a comment from the 996TT guy and 2017 Macan S guy here.....

So our 996TT and our 2017 Macan S have never received a ticket for front plates.

Pulled over for speeding in the Turbo and quite a few tix for getting parking violations in Denver and suburbs.

Not ONE time did the LEO folks or Parking folks EVER cite us for lack of a front plate.

With that being said....speeding was under 20 mph and parking was because we literally had to remain over-night.

Not sure what your state and county require...but if you are worried about it, Get something you are comfortable with. In many states, it is a "FIX IT or TICKET".
See what the "cost" for that ticket and then either do it or not.

Just my 2.5 cents and believe you my wife was VERY worried about it...to be honest it has never been an issue.

CAVEAT...if you are doing WAY more than the speed limit and driving recklessly. Be prepared.....I guarantee you (IMO) you will get cited for just about everything! Trust me, I know from my younger/stupider years....LOL.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 41 Posts

FYI, front license place is NOT REQUIRED in Texas.
Few years ago they passed law which intentionally did not specify ANY punishment for lack of front plate. So as long as you have rear plate, you are all set.
I have no front plate on any of my cars for years, and never had an issue.
Do not mount front plate on this awesome car, will ruin the look.

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
I have the front plate and bracket in the trunk in case I get stopped. Mandatory in Texas. But I just can’t bring myself to do it.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:13 AM
ciaka
Racer

you mean the fugly looking ones that look like a billboard? lol.

Originally Posted by cometguy
yes, I agree that USA state license plates are pretty ugly, generally (almost all of them -- especially those with images on them, and in general, the more colors on a license plate, the uglier they are).
I'd certainly vote for a simpler, better-shaped, more uniform plate like the Europeans use.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:35 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaka
FYI, front license place is NOT REQUIRED in Texas.
Few years ago they passed law which intentionally did not specify ANY punishment for lack of front plate. So as long as you have rear plate, you are all set.
I have no front plate on any of my cars for years, and never had an issue.
Do not mount front plate on this awesome car, will ruin the look.
I'd like to see a citation for that law. This is what I found: https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transpo...t-504-943.html. It says you can get fined up to $200, but it can get dismissed if you fix the problem before the first court date.
My wife recently got pulled over. I stupidly forgot to put the registration sticker on the windshield and didn't put the front plate on. The LEO said he pulled her over because he thought the car might be stolen. He wrote her a warning for no front plate or sticker and cited her for speeding.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:05 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The meter maids in SF are the problem, I’ve had half a dozen tickets for no front plates while parked on the street in SF (and I live down the Peninsula so I’m not there a lot). It is a fix-it ticket, with a $10 (I believe) fee; you can have any CHP officer or field office sign off on it. I just get a couple of large zip-ties and secure the plate to the bumper... the CHP will tell me that is insufficient but the statute only says “securely fastened to the front of the vehicle.” It doesn’t say anything about factory or permanent mounting. When I quote that, they back down and sign off. It’s a bit of a hassle but I only park on the street when it is unavoidable (no lots available) and if I park strategially to obscure the front of the car, I can slide on by.

I used to have a rubber dealer plate holder that I would keep a front plate in and throw up on the dash when I parked. That worked for a few years but more recently the meter maids seem to have learned that a plate on the dash is non-compliant.

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I've read some older postings on this but I'm still wondering what other 2018 Panamera owners are doing?? I'm planning to just drive without it and hope for the best. I do know in SF and possibly LA the meter maids do issue tickets when the car is parked. I guess if/when I get a ticket I will have to find a solution as I believe here in CA it is a "fix it" ticket and you just have to prove you have one mounted after receiving the ticket and it is erased?? Anyway, I don't really like to off center look using the tow hook location. I like the STO N SHO option except you do have to drill some holes underneath the bumper area. Any other thoughts??
Old 08-16-2018, 03:17 PM
ciaka
Racer

I was able to look up the details.
The law was written without stipulation of any penalty until 2013. In September 2013 law was amended to add a phrase stating that violation of section 504, paragraph 943 (Operation of vehicle without license plate), may result in fine no more than $200. It continues to state if one violates the law and remedies the plate (puts it back on) before going to court, the fine will be erased except for fee of $10 or less.
I left Tx for a job before then and was still under impresion it is so. However I have been driving without front plates on all 3 cars in my family. Never an issue. Just knocked on wood too.

Texas Transportation Code - Chapter 504 - Licens Plates:
Chapter 504 HERE.
Amendment to paragraph 943 HERE

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I'd like to see a citation for that law...
Old 08-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Chuckuzzo
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m new to RL. But recent browse and search in the forum, I came across a pic of a front bumper with the license plate as the sticker or a wrap. I can’t find that picture anymore. Anyone know anything about that. I can’t imagine it being legal at all.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:13 PM
ciaka
Racer

Not legal in TX and surely in any state.
If you follow the link to CH504 I posted above, reading through it actually states the physical description of the plate. It also states issued by the government. Automatically excludes anyone making their own, and you cannot get a sticker for a plate from them.
I have not had a front plate for the last 15 years and never had a stop. Knocking on wood, of course, but thats the way to go with the panamera.

Originally Posted by Chuckuzzo
I’m new to RL. But recent browse and search in the forum, I came across a pic of a front bumper with the license plate as the sticker or a wrap. I can’t find that picture anymore. Anyone know anything about that. I can’t imagine it being legal at all.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:06 PM
SBTT
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One place in CA that you will get a ticket for no front plate is LAX. I've seen many cars get cited for that at the airport. One time I was going there to pick up the wife, and realized didn't have a front plate. I pulled over, took the rear plate off, and stuck a piece of paper in the w/s to look like a registration. I was looked at by a couple airport cops, but not stopped
Old 09-07-2018, 04:41 AM
Chuckuzzo
Advanced

From Kobalt’s thread about his 2RS stolen (my condolences)... but is this legal in Sweden?

Old 09-20-2018, 04:34 PM
groningen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US Milworks tow hook unit is best, allows removal of plate for cleaning and looks as good as can be expected. Would not gum car up drilling anything.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:55 AM
Chuckuzzo
Advanced

Recently found this:

http://customlicenseplates.us/

Old 03-09-2019, 11:46 AM
cbwinters01
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuckuzzo, that's a great find and a good way to go. those suckers ain't cheap though.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate