Panamera 2010-Current

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:52 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Front License Plate

I've read some older postings on this but I'm still wondering what other 2018 Panamera owners are doing?? I'm planning to just drive without it and hope for the best. I do know in SF and possibly LA the meter maids do issue tickets when the car is parked. I guess if/when I get a ticket I will have to find a solution as I believe here in CA it is a "fix it" ticket and you just have to prove you have one mounted after receiving the ticket and it is erased?? Anyway, I don't really like to off center look using the tow hook location. I like the STO N SHO option except you do have to drill some holes underneath the bumper area. Any other thoughts??
Old 06-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the original Porsche mount drilled prior to delivery.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:33 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

Tow hook mount.

http://www.usmillworks.com/porsche_f..._tow_hook.html
Old 06-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by RDS928S
OP, literally wrote that he doesn't like this solution.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I've driven in and around SF for over 40 years and never had an issue about not having front plates. I seem to always have cars that don't accommodate them well.

About 25 years ago I was returning to my parked car in SF (in the days when your windows didn't get smashed) and a cop was just about to write me a parking ticket for expired time. He didn't write the ticket and warned me about not having a front plate. I acknowledged his warning and left but did nothing. I didn't get the feeling he was going to write a ticket about it.

In the subsequent years I've had a few speeding tickets (SF city and highway patrol) and front plates never came up. I've also been stopped twice for not having a current registration sticker and once went to a highway patrol office and once to the local police station to show that I had a current sticker on my plates and get a fixit signoff. Neither time did they check for a front plate (of course I parked my car with the back facing their office.) And just a couple months ago I saw a city cop checking out my car that I had parked in a lot that turned out to be private property. He was just about to write a ticket but let me off since he hadn't completed it. That's the second time I was told I should have a front plate. Again, I acknowledged that I should and did nothing about it.

That's it. No other problems at all. And since the incident a couple months ago I've been checking out the front of cars that I wouldn't put a plate on and most of them don't have one. Porsches in particular. I figure if I get a ticket for no front plate I would get the tow hook mount and use it for the fixit inspection and promptly remove it right after.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:17 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

The US millworks tow hook is the best solution period!

Only a chump would think the center oem drilled option looks good.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 276 Posts

I have the front plate and bracket in the trunk in case I get stopped. Mandatory in Texas. But I just can’t bring myself to do it.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:07 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
I have the front plate and bracket in the trunk in case I get stopped. Mandatory in Texas. But I just can’t bring myself to do it.
Exactly how I am proceeding. I don't want to put holes in my bumper and I don't like the offset tow hook solution. The Sto N Sho solution is the best I've seen thus far but it still will require me to drill some holes underneath the front bumper. So for now I'm going to not have any mount at all and if I do get a ticket I will most likely go with the Sto N Sho solution so I can just remove it easily and put it back on when/if needed.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm another California driver who has never mounted a front plate on any of my vehicles. In my 30 years of driving, I've had exactly one incident where the plate issue was "brought to my attention" and it was simply an admonishment to mount the plate.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:50 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I don't see the big deal, really. Here we have to have a front plate to pass initial state inspection. The dealer put on a decent plate holder (my new Sport Turismo is on the right in this photo). My previous Panamera is on the left. I don't think they look at all bad with the front plate. Glad I'm not worried about what you guys are!
Old 06-05-2018, 12:12 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 276 Posts

Nice. What color is your Sport Turismo - Volcano Grey? If so, I see some blue undertones in your's that I haven't seen in mine. In my Volcano Grey, I've seen Grey and Green, but not Blue yet.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:22 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Nice. What color is your Sport Turismo - Volcano Grey? If so, I see some blue undertones in your's that I haven't seen in mine. In my Volcano Grey, I've seen Grey and Green, but not Blue yet.
It's the metallic "night blue" paint.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:30 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by cometguy

I don't see the big deal, really. Here we have to have a front plate to pass initial state inspection. The dealer put on a decent plate holder (my new Sport Turismo is on the right in this photo). My previous Panamera is on the left. I don't think they look at all bad with the front plate. Glad I'm not worried about what you guys are!
I understand you have to put it on your car to pass inspection. Here in California we do have to get a smog certification every few years but that has nothing to do with the front plate. If/when I have to put one on for the "fixit" ticket, I will go with the Sto N Sho option so I can easily remove it after eliminating the ticket. I just don't like the look of the license plate on the front of Porsches at all. On some cars it looks okay but on the Porsches it just ruins the front lines in my opinion. The European front plates actually don't look nearly as bad as the U.S. plates; they seem to fit the flow much better.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by cometguy
It's the metallic "night blue" paint.
That's a pretty nice dealership w/ a PTS 718 and two rear wiper 911s.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:54 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I understand you have to put it on your car to pass inspection. Here in California we do have to get a smog certification every few years but that has nothing to do with the front plate. If/when I have to put one on for the "fixit" ticket, I will go with the Sto N Sho option so I can easily remove it after eliminating the ticket. I just don't like the look of the license plate on the front of Porsches at all. On some cars it looks okay but on the Porsches it just ruins the front lines in my opinion. The European front plates actually don't look nearly as bad as the U.S. plates; they seem to fit the flow much better.
agreed...the short, squat US plates on the front looked fugly and wouldn't want it too!

Quick Reply: Front License Plate