Panamera 2010-Current

S e-Hybrid Charging Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts
Default S e-Hybrid Charging Issue?

Charger failed to charge....showed a fault code of E480. That code is not in the manual. Anybody know what that might be?

Also noticed that the charger offers two settings....a 50% or a 100%. What is the difference? Is one setting charging at half rate and the other charging at full rate?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:56 AM
nvarga
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For error code it would be best to contact your service. 50% means that the car will be charged to 50% of capacity only. 100% is full capacity. I don't know the reason why would someone want to charge it just to 50%...
Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts

At 50% it still charges to the battery to full charge....14 miles (2014 S e-Hybrid)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Bigboyrolo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
At 50% it still charges to the battery to full charge....14 miles (2014 S e-Hybrid)
I collected my 2016 S e-Hybrid a few days ago. I put it on charge for the 1st time today, selected 100% of course, some hours later green light is solid indicating now fully charged. But a check in the car on PCM, only shows 11mile range. I was expecting more. The car is under a carport outside and it was about -4 c. I suspect this is the reason. Could it be that the car calculates estimated range based on temperature? Is it that clever?

Old 03-01-2018, 05:47 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigboyrolo

I collected my 2016 S e-Hybrid a few days ago. I put it on charge for the 1st time today, selected 100% of course, some hours later green light is solid indicating now fully charged. But a check in the car on PCM, only shows 11mile range. I was expecting more. The car is under a carport outside and it was about -4 c. I suspect this is the reason. Could it be that the car calculates estimated range based on temperature? Is it that clever?

Yes.
If you consider a petrol only car, you would expect to use more fuel in winter and less MPG, get in your mind its the same and you worry less about it..
In summer you will see a bigger range.
Also winter/summer your range alters if your urban or motorway driving, same as it would with a petrol only car.
I have seen 21/22 range on my S-EH before in summer on a motorway, (usually about 17 in summer for urban) and 11 in winter.

For the error code E480 - will it charge on the go and let you use E-power?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:08 AM
Bigboyrolo
Track Day

Originally Posted by K777
Yes.
If you consider a petrol only car, you would expect to use more fuel in winter and less MPG, get in your mind its the same and you worry less about it..
In summer you will see a bigger range.
Also winter/summer your range alters if your urban or motorway driving, same as it would with a petrol only car.
I have seen 21/22 range on my S-EH before in summer on a motorway, (usually about 17 in summer for urban) and 11 in winter.

For the error code E480 - will it charge on the go and let you use E-power?
Thanks K777, good to have confirmation. So it's a very clever car as I thought. As a former military aircraft technician it helps to understand technology.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:12 AM
K777
Racer

Thanks K777, good to have confirmation. So it's a very clever car as I thought. As a former military aircraft technician it helps to understand technology.

Wait till engine goes off at high speed when your coasting, that's weird at first.
Once in Germany, I took foot off the gas at about 115mph and engine went off. Kind of spooky at that speed.

Sometimes it seems to clever, and for sure you will at times get frustrated when the engines on seemingly needlessly.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 AM
Bigboyrolo
Track Day

I've only driven it 400 miles home from collection at Glasgow OPC, and everytime the revs went to zero, I told Mrs B, who in the end got fed up with the news, because as you know, there was no sensation at all. Are you in the UK or mainland Europe?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 AM
K777
Racer

UK, Leeds
But went to Dusseldorf for an exhibition, and my O/H is a French citizen so have done France a couple of times. France is great to drive these cars because motorway traffic is so much lighter, albeit expensive toll costs.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Bigboyrolo
Track Day

Don't you just love German Autobahns? This will be the 10th year in succession that we drive into central and N Italy. 2017 we went to Leipzig for a factory tour - lots of de-restricted autobahn sections. Stuttgart for the museum then Maranello for the Ferrari museum. 2/3rds of my mileage was in Europe. This year it starts in April with a Porsche (PCGB Belgium, France & Luxembourg) weekend at Spa, then to Brescia for the Mille Miglia in May (flying though) then our annual road trip to Cenral and N Italy. As you say, great roads but Toll costs are significant.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 AM
K777
Racer

Yeah,until someone pulls out !
My other half was at Lorrach and went to Basel airport to come home and had her bag nicked with her passport.
So I drove all the way from Leeds to Lorrach (stopping overnight for the 6.30am tunnel train, was just a great drive across the top of France. Stopped a day in Lorrach and then went to Strasbourg on the Sunday. We drove down to St Etienne on the Sunday evening ready for her emergency passport application. Stopped in Lyon to see other mate and then back to St Étienne early doors, then drove all way from St Étienne to Leeds in a day. Tired but no back ache or anything.

Because shes from near St Étienne we typically fly to Lyon, but hopefully will try the 4 EH one day.

I have driven Italy a lot in hire cars, but mainly from Milan or Turin to Bologna due to flights, we had thought of trying the Ferrari museum but passed on it.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Bigboyrolo
Track Day

Originally Posted by K777
Yeah,until someone pulls out !
That tends not to happen in Germany, they are very disciplined drivers. Driving at over 100mph on 2 lane de-restricted autobahns needs a whole different level of attention and observation that visiting drivers may not be used to.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:47 AM
K777
Racer

That tends not to happen in Germany, they are very disciplined drivers. Driving at over 100mph on 2 lane de-restricted autobahns needs a whole different level of attention and observation that visiting drivers may not be used to.
Its true we comment on how disciplined they are when a speed limited section comes up, but believe me someone did, maybe they were not German.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:11 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm not so sure about the discipline! I drove the 4eH down to Lake Maggiore last summer, returning through Germany and Switzerland. Only a couple of opportunities to hammer it before a Twingo pulls out. Will try again this year
Old 12-27-2019, 02:29 PM
S Codin
1st Gear

Default E480 solved , i take the ground(earth connection) from other than power supply compan

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Charger failed to charge....showed a fault code of E480. That code is not in the manual. Anybody know what that might be?

Also noticed that the charger offers two settings....a 50% or a 100%. What is the difference? Is one setting charging at half rate and the other charging at full rate?
I make also a little video to prove that error
Connect the earth connection to different than power supply company and work!!!
See video here:
Good luck !
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: S e-Hybrid Charging Issue?