Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Sport Turismo that have been delivered..

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:18 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
UPDATE: I test drove an E63 S today and came away with mixed feelings. On the plus side, pictures of the interior do not do it justice; it is gorgeous. I saw examples with both black ash trim and carbon fiber. I did not expect to like the carbon fiber, but it is truly stunning and will be my trim choice if I get this car. The rest of the interior is comfortable and elegant though the controls will take some time to learn. I can affirm that pushing buttons at speed in a car you barely know is not a good idea. Car reviews have variously described the ride as flinty. It's not. In comfort mode the suspension took bumps with the compliance expected from a luxury car. Steering feel was good if not great and the car handled the corners I was allowed to take with a rep from the dealership sitting next to me capably, if not with much excitement. The car remained flat and composed in corners, but road feel was distant.

The down side, performance was not as sharp as I hoped it would be. The car is quick, but throttle response is slower than I thought it would be and the brake pedal is too soft. Overall the car's performance disappointed, an impression that may be due in part to the inevitable comparison to the 2015 MT 911 GTS I drove during the hour trip to the dealership. The MB just could not come up to the standard set by the 911. No surprise there, but I thought it would be closer.

The MB was larger and more comfortable and fast and capable, but disappointing, too, and I am not sure I want to replace the 911 with the E63 S wagon. Sport Turismo? Guess I will take another look. Cayenne? Maybe. I don't know.
That C&D article had the test E63 S wagon at $135k. You complained about the ST Turbo being too expensive, but what about the Panamera 4S version, which you can get spec'd decently for less than the E63 S and still get good power and just as good cornering and handling as the ST Turbo? I'm getting the Pan4 ST E-Hybrid, with 462 hp, for way way less than that E63 S, and less than the 4S also with more hp than the 4S. I'd prefer more space in the ST also, but I just think it looks way better and handles way better than the Mercedes. You do get decent space with the seats down in the ST.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Much like many here, I fell in love with the look of the Sport Turismo. Apples to apples (at least in terms of engine specs), E63 AMG v. ST Turbo, E350 v. ST 4, the Porsche will always be more expensive than the Merc by a not so insignificant margin. The E wagon is not a bad looking car, a classy lady who dresses up well if you will. I would argue that the Jag XF Sportbrake or the Volvo V90 are just as pretty if not prettier, though neither has a performance model rivaling P or Merc. But to my eyes the ST is a supermodel.

But that's a subjective thing, I know. All I can say is that if I bought the AMG, I'd have regrets every time I spotted a ST on the streets. I'll have NO regrets when I take delivery of my ST E-H and see the Merc... even if he/she smokes me from the stop light, baby strapped to the back and all, lol.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE: I test drove an E63 S today and came away with mixed feelings. On the plus side, pictures of the interior do not do it justice; it is gorgeous. I saw examples with both black ash trim and carbon fiber. I did not expect to like the carbon fiber, but it is truly stunning and will be my trim choice if I get this car. The rest of the interior is comfortable and elegant though the controls will take some time to learn. I can affirm that pushing buttons at speed in a car you barely know is not a good idea. Car reviews have variously described the ride as flinty. It's not. In comfort mode the suspension took bumps with the compliance expected from a luxury car. Steering feel was good if not great and the car handled the corners I was allowed to take with a rep from the dealership sitting next to me capably, if not with much excitement. The car remained flat and composed in corners, but road feel was distant.

The down side, performance was not as sharp as I hoped it would be. The car is quick, but throttle response is slower than I thought it would be and the brake pedal is too soft. Overall the car's performance disappointed, an impression that may be due in part to the inevitable comparison to the 2015 MT 911 GTS I drove during the hour trip to the dealership. The MB just could not come up to the standard set by the 911. No surprise there, but I thought it would be closer.

The MB was larger and more comfortable and fast and capable, but disappointing, too, and I am not sure I want to replace the 911 with the E63 S wagon. Sport Turismo? Guess I will take another look. Cayenne? Maybe. I don't know.
Why don't you keep your current car? I would say that is the best option.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Much like many here, I fell in love with the look of the Sport Turismo. Apples to apples (at least in terms of engine specs), E63 AMG v. ST Turbo, E350 v. ST 4, the Porsche will always be more expensive than the Merc by a not so insignificant margin. The E wagon is not a bad looking car, a classy lady who dresses up well if you will. I would argue that the Jag XF Sportbrake or the Volvo V90 are just as pretty if not prettier, though neither has a performance model rivaling P or Merc. But to my eyes the ST is a supermodel.

But that's a subjective thing, I know. All I can say is that if I bought the AMG, I'd have regrets every time I spotted a ST on the streets. I'll have NO regrets when I take delivery of my ST E-H and see the Merc... even if he/she smokes me from the stop light, baby strapped to the back and all, lol.
The E Wagon is an icon and the ST is going to look dated like the 955. I would regret not getting the E Wagon.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
The E Wagon is an icon and the ST is going to look dated like the 955. I would regret not getting the E Wagon.
Wow... I think the Mercedes is ugly compared to the ST... I'd never pick a Mercedes over a Porsche; I'd go to BMW before Mercedes every time.
And I don't think that the ST will look dated for a long long time to come.
Lots of different tastes and perspectives.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Nah, I'm pretty sensitive to and would like to think have a decent eye for car designs that age poorly. It's probably why I swore off Japanese brands 20 years ago. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but generally I think most Porsches age decently. Not fan of how 996s and Boxter 986s aged and of course the 970 Panny was controversial when new, so I doubt it'll age all that well.

Similarly, I doubt you'd call all E wagons "icons." W123s and 124s were nice. 210s were blah, W211s in my mind were the best looking sedans (I had one ) of all the Es, but they butchered the wagon. 212s were fugly, but I like the current one just fine but it ain't a Sport Turismo.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by cometguy
Wow... I think the Mercedes is ugly compared to the ST... I'd never pick a Mercedes over a Porsche; I'd go to BMW before Mercedes every time.
And I don't think that the ST will look dated for a long long time to come.
Lots of different tastes and perspectives.
BMW doesn't make a fast wagon though. The S213 is the worst looking E Wagon yet, so can't really blame you there.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Nah, I'm pretty sensitive to and would like to think have a decent eye for car designs that age poorly. It's probably why I swore off Japanese brands 20 years ago. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but generally I think most Porsches age decently. Not fan of how 996s and Boxter 986s aged and of course the 970 Panny was controversial when new, so I doubt it'll age all that well.

Similarly, I doubt you'd call all E wagons "icons." W123s and 124s were nice. 210s were blah, W211s in my mind were the best looking sedans (I had one ) of all the Es, but they butchered the wagon. 212s were fugly, but I like the current one just fine but it ain't a Sport Turismo.
I think the 211 and 213 are the oddest Es. Too curvy. The 123,124,212 were more traditional. E Wagons are just old money though. The first gen Cayenne, 968, and the ones you mentioned probably don't age well either.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my dealer has an amethyst (let's just call it purple, shall we?) ST turbo on the lot, and while it's a nice car, color aside, it's listed for $188,000 which leads me to ask: Where is the market for this car? You can wax rhapsodic about it all you want, but how many of you are willing to pay that much for a ST turbo?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:35 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

So my dealer has an amethyst (let's just call it purple, shall we?) ST turbo on the lot, and while it's a nice car, color aside, it's listed for $188,000 which leads me to ask: Where is the market for this car? You can wax rhapsodic about it all you want, but how many of you are willing to pay that much for a ST turbo?
There is no market they are sitting and very few are being sold.They are 29-30 percent overpriced.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Andial
Banned

The market of this car is deservedly limited for true enthusiasts and I would be willing to pay that much for a ST turbo.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:09 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Same here. The ST is unique as there is no 7 series, s series or the a8 as a station wagon. The ST is the perfect pampers bomber if you are looking for soemthing different..
Old 05-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
The market of this car is deservedly limited for true enthusiasts and I would be willing to pay that much for a ST turbo.
Now that’s funny stuff right there.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Have no regrets about adding the ST Turbo to the fleet. No doubt it will depreciate but its a keep for maybe ten years. Its a blast to drive and I well understand why people my ay go for the AMG. This just feels more special to me, and if it sells poorly it will just make it a more unusual choice.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

We pick up our Turbo S e-hybrid Sport Turismo next month at Leipzig. I personally am very excited for this car. I got to drive a US car magazine's test car a few weeks back and it was so cool. I think this car will be pretty rare on the road...wait until you see their 0-60 testing results. Unreal.

Quick Reply: Sport Turismo that have been delivered..