Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera reliability (Or lack thereof)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:25 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder with so many problems if you can get Porsche corporate to buy it back.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Got the car back, they replaced the blower motor fan. They didn't see the transmission error.

The suspension crunch noise is still present, but not as bad as before. Here's what's been replaced so far:

2x 97034105110 Front Upper Control Arm
1x 97034306923 Stabilizer Bar Link Front

Car is going back next week to see what else needs to be replaced to fix it.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Almost made it two weeks without a break down. Car is being towed again.

Anyone care to guess what caught fire?

Old 01-28-2018, 09:00 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Is that steam or smoke?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by cerbomark
Is that steam or smoke?
White smoke, I first noticed a faint burning smell. Didn't think too much of it as lots of people have wood stoves where I live. Within a minute it got much more intense. I came to a stop sign and had a plume of white smoke coming out of the front driver wheel. Immediately pulled over and shut off the engine.

Something was definitely burning, smelled a bit like a plastic burning smell. I'm guessing something leaked onto the exhaust. I'll find out Monday or Tuesday.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Very sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble Hopefully this will be the end of it.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a terrible string of bad luck. Sorry for all that trouble, I expect more from Porsche especially with them being so high on JD Power reliability rankings.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

A coolant hose busted and leaked all over the exhaust, which caused the smoke.

I talked to the general manager of my dealership and he was very sympathetic. They're helping me get out of the car and will work with Porsche NA on a resolution.

The question is what's next, maybe a Macan Turbo or another Panamera. I can't be this unlucky twice!

I'm really happy to see the dealership step up and help me out.
The following users liked this post:
RoyDub30 (12-07-2020)
Old 01-30-2018, 03:34 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_PPTT

I talked to the general manager of my dealership and he was very sympathetic. They're helping me get out of the car and will work with Porsche NA on a resolution.
Originally Posted by knowspin
I wonder with so many problems if you can get Porsche corporate to buy it back.
Bingo!

I'm glad the hear Porsche is stepping up to the plate. As reliable as the Lexus LS460 is, there was a guy on that forum who experienced severe problems. Lexus Corporate bought the car back and satisfied the customer. I don't think many manufacturers will do this, nice to know Porsche will.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:29 PM
DGPanny
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was really reliable before the Camshaft Controller bolts sheared at 80 mph. No more engine. Happened two weeks ago today and I got the recall notice on the following Saturday. Already had it towed to my mechanic. Then had to tow it from there over a hundred miles to a decent Porsche dealer. They are still trying to get Porsche to tell them how to fix it. Looks like they are going to try and get a new short block and new heads and build one. Says there are no new or rebuilt engines in the US. Such fun. Stuck driving the Boxster for a while longer
Old 01-31-2018, 06:27 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

..You are VERY lucky that "they" will change you engine. In my case, (same : bolts of the camshaft controller) they fix it, and this pretty badly.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:14 PM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by knowspin
Bingo!

I'm glad the hear Porsche is stepping up to the plate. As reliable as the Lexus LS460 is, there was a guy on that forum who experienced severe problems. Lexus Corporate bought the car back and satisfied the customer. I don't think many manufacturers will do this, nice to know Porsche will.
Let me clarify Porsche is not buying the car back. The dealer is selling the car for me. They will implicate Porsche NA when there's an offer on table. The general manager put it simply. Porsche NA doesn't own any cars and they will not offer a solution. They will however participate in a solution.

I expect all parties, myself included, to take a loss here. What I don't expect is to be out a significant amount of money. How that will be achieved remains to be seen. But my understanding is the dealer will likely waive their commission for selling my car. Porsche NA can help offset some of the loses, either financially or through a discount on the next purchase.

Originally Posted by DGPanny
Mine was really reliable before the Camshaft Controller bolts sheared at 80 mph. No more engine. Happened two weeks ago today and I got the recall notice on the following Saturday. Already had it towed to my mechanic. Then had to tow it from there over a hundred miles to a decent Porsche dealer. They are still trying to get Porsche to tell them how to fix it. Looks like they are going to try and get a new short block and new heads and build one. Says there are no new or rebuilt engines in the US. Such fun. Stuck driving the Boxster for a while longer
Sorry to hear, at least there's an official recall and you're not stuck fighting for a solution. Driving a Boxster isn't too bad either. I drove a base Cayenne for at least 10 weeks. It's not that fun to drive to be honest, and seriously under powered coming from a Turbo S. I did get a diesel Cayenne a couple of times though and that was much better (Extra torque helps).

I currently have a Macan S with sport chrono / sport exhaust. Not a bad car at all. Super loud in sport plus mode. Much more so than my Turbo S which also has a sport exhaust.

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
..You are VERY lucky that "they" will change you engine. In my case, (same : bolts of the camshaft controller) they fix it, and this pretty badly.
Again, sorry to hear. I would imagine they're confident in the fix and have done tests on the block and components not damaged to go down this route.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:33 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

The dealer is selling the car for me.
Sounds like it ought to be crushed, and not sold again to another customer. I hope who buys it knows what they are getting.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

For those wondering on the suspension noise. I had the lower control arms replaced. Parts list below. Haven't heard any noises yet.

The coolant leak required the engine and transmission to be pulled. The latest service visit has 53 hours of work.

97034105304 Lower control arm
97034105404 Lower control arm
97034379207 Upper stabilizer mounting
97034379307 Lower stabilizer mounting
Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

I filled a complaint with Porsche NA three weeks ago, no one has followed up with me.

Since then I had coolant leak onto the exhaust and had to be towed. The fix required the engine and transmission to be pulled. I got a check engine light earlier this week. The coolant thermostat is failing in an open state. Which I was told causes the engine to be cooled all the time.

The chassis failure messages became a daily occurrence since last Saturday. And finally yesterday the air compressor died. Causing all 4 suspensions to bottom out. Felt like I was a driving a dedicated track car the suspension was so rough. And of course since this isn't quite enough the drivers side mirror motor broke.

Apparently this is the peace of mind that comes with a certified pre-owned Porsche.

Quick Reply: Panamera reliability (Or lack thereof)