Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

1000 miles in.....thoughts so far....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 PM
NorthernMonkey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 miles in.....thoughts so far....

been a while since i posted but i've clocked up 1000 miles now in my new Panamera 4 so some thoughts:

1. LOVE the car

the end......

ok some others....

2. attracts a LOT more attention than I was expecting, in a nice way, only negative so far was some total bell end on the M1 last week at about 9pm who took offense at me overtaking him in lane 2 at 75mph (he was cruising at 70 in lane 1) soon as he clocked the car he floored it (2001 jag) as if to prove something. i just pulled into lane 1 and carried on, he slowed down "to let me catch up" then floored it again......very odd.

3. getting the GTECHNIQ CrystalSerum black ceramic coat and front end PPF kit installed was definitely the right choice. this is a big car and those two treatments make it soooooooooo easy to clean and it comes up like it just rolled out of the detailer each time

4. getting the porsche connect stuff setup was a bit of trial and error. took about 2 weeks before they realised that they had not sent me the email to register for the portal. you have to register with two for ConnectPlus. One hosted by vodafone for "Remote Services" and the other hosted by Porsche for the "Navigation & Infotainment" stuff, RTTI etc. Everytime i questioned this they said the email had been sent only when i pushed them did they realise that the account was locked in their system and the email for the porsche portal was not being sent. anyway soon as i got that registered and all works ok

5. never drove the 3.0 petrol in the Panamera4 before delivery as none in country to test drive. bit of a leap of faith but no fears there. lovely engine and plenty quick enough for me.

6. PDK is awesome. nuff said.

7. air suspension + sport chrono, so glad i specc'd them too together as that combo work really well

8. new PCM feels very intuitive once you've lived with it for a few days, wish there were more configurable options for the TFT screens, i don't have speed limit display so the far left dial just shows outside temp.

negatives??? only some "user experience" ones really.....and all software....

1. AppleCar play is crap. ok it works but seriously underwhelmed by it.

2. having owned a lot of recent BMW's and used the latest i-drive for a while i would like to see PCM provide better native integration for things like Spotify or at least on the Porsche Connect App that shows up in "Apps" screen add it there....Napster?????? Radio.Whatever....come on Porsche Spotify should have been first on that list!!!!

3. Given the real estate to play with in the two 7" TFT screens either side of rev counter be nice to be able to call up and scroll through current media playing such as station names or track lists using the steering wheel buttons. having to do that via the main screen is a pain whilst driving...ok maybe pain is harsh but again.....BMW and others have figured that out long ago and in their displays you can easily call up current track lists or station names and do simple scroll / selects

so thats it for now. overall have to say the car is simply the best car ive ever owned. loving it. now come on Porsche sort out those software nice to haves!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Bogus
3rd Gear

Congratulations on the new car!!

6 weeks and 1800 miles into my new Panamera 4S (3.0 TT) as well(not a brand new one but new to me).
Phenomenal car.. so agree with everything you said and i got lucky with the car as it was used. the previous guy had specced PCCB, PTV+, Air susp + PDCC, Entry and Drive, LED PDLS+, sports chrono and PSE.
The best car for long distance touring i have ever driven and very very competent on 'B'(country) roads as well.
Recent trip to North Wales was amazing.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Yoeris
Advanced

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience!

@bogus, I see that your panamera is equipped with PCCB, I started a new thread to read some user experiences because I am in doubt speccing it to my current build. Do you want to share?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. . please share your experiences with the group on thread about the 2017/2018s!

Cheers
J
Old 07-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Glad you are enjoying it Northern Monkey! :-)

I have now done over 5,300 miles in my new Panamera 4, collected on March 27th.

I love mine too! I'm totally not a techie geek, so actually gave up on trying to activate Connect + etc, as enjoying the car just fine without it. ;-)
Old 07-18-2017, 04:35 AM
ajriches01
Racer

For me, after 800 miles I would agree with everything that you have said - the LCD screens are really wasted. I have heads-up + LCD in the X6, both of which provide a wealth of information and mean you needn't take your eyes far from the road. Only thing I did notice is that you can dial from the right screen - just press the answer phone button on steering wheel and then you can scroll. We could ALL message Porsche and plead with them to issue a software update to incorporate the media and maybe seat massage/other car functions??

Other gripe...every time I start the car it upsets me that I have to turn this crappy piece of plastic which clunks to the right. Bad bad bad but I'm not sure what to do about it?! There must be an after market solution that someone can come-up with?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:39 AM
NorthernMonkey
Advanced

Yup when I saw the way you can scroll through previous and missed calls in the right hand tft screen i assumed (hoped) there must be a way to use same kind of menu to scroll through station names or track lists. Cannot be much of a tweak to add that in.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:25 PM
and7
Intermediate

Collected my 4S two weeks ago. Done 350 miles so far. Love the car. Much prefer it to my Macan Turbo which I part exchanged.

Only gripes:

I drive on some narrow B roads and find it useful to fold in my wing mirrors. The push button to fold them in whilst driving does not work all the the time, but fold back does. Fold in works all the time when stationery.

I have installled a data SIM card in the car, but the Apps incl Google Earth don't work about 10% of the time.

Talking to my dealer about both issues. My Porsche dealer (nearest one) is an hour and half away and don't fancy the inconvenience of taking my car there and leaving it there for a day or two.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:39 AM
ajriches01
Racer

I have no issues with the nav - sounds like a software update is needed?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:27 PM
and7
Intermediate

Thanks AJR. You may well be right. Will check for an update.

Quick Reply: 1000 miles in.....thoughts so far....