Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017 | 09:50 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Great showing for the Z. USA! USA!
Old 07-16-2017 | 11:42 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Sport Auto more legit than factory times, damn impressive for both the vette and 991.2
Old 07-18-2017 | 12:04 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I stopped in at a dealership to look at a Grand Sport. There are some decent discounts on 17s still on the lot. I saw one with everything I'd want with an MSRP of $77k priced at $68k. That's the price of a base Cayman S!
Old 07-18-2017 | 12:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I stopped in at a dealership to look at a Grand Sport. There are some decent discounts on 17s still on the lot. I saw one with everything I'd want with an MSRP of $77k priced at $68k. That's the price of a base Cayman S!
And it's faster than one. And in most cases a GT4 as well.
Old 07-18-2017 | 12:39 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The Corvette GS and new Porsche GTS are equal on the track. Both are faster than the 991.1 GT3.

Sorry if I posted this already...

Old 07-18-2017 | 12:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The GS is a very underrated car, and a very intriguing one at that.
Old 07-18-2017 | 01:37 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I guess it's the rare case where the GS isn't quicker that prompted me to pay $49k more for the GT4.
Old 07-18-2017 | 02:40 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan C.
That's the boat I'm in now, I've made several visits to the local dealer to look at them. I don't really track my cars anymore. So for a daily driver do I go Z51 or GrandSport??

Tires and brake costs are leaning towards Z51, looks are leaning towards GS. Does the GS tank in value as bad as all the other Vettes?
Old 07-18-2017 | 11:13 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Originally Posted by Para82
That's the boat I'm in now, I've made several visits to the local dealer to look at them. I don't really track my cars anymore. So for a daily driver do I go Z51 or GrandSport??

Tires and brake costs are leaning towards Z51, looks are leaning towards GS. Does the GS tank in value as bad as all the other Vettes?
Considering there are a substantial number of Vettes produced, all will depreciate at least 25% from new within the first year.

There a number of Vettes being sold around the country for 15 - 20% off sticker new. DO NOT buy one unless you can get one unless you get that much off. The C7 Vette is a tremendous value for money. Forget the Z51 and get the GS as it is essentially a Z06 w/o the supercharger.

The brakes alone are worth the money in the C7 with 6 piston F and 4 piston R Brembos with H bridges that make it super easy to change pads.

However from my experience, once you've experienced the power of the Z06 and then move to the GS, you will be disappointed (if low end grunt is your thing). The Z06 also has a CF Torque tube that helps with harmonics vibrations and most importantly power/torque whereas the GS has the standard steel tube.

No matter what model you pick in the lineup, C7 Vettes are the value ticket that affords long term maintenance ease (its a chevy after all) and aftermarket support for the best power to weight combo per dollar.

Last edited by Checkmate; 07-18-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2017 | 11:49 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

I wish the Corvette was more readily available over here ! I like that Grand Sport !
Old 07-18-2017 | 01:03 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Well, since the GS is a brand new model it's hard to say how it will depreciate relative to other model Corvettes. So far the z51 has done pretty well in resaleas has the Z06. it's not going to hold value like a GT3, but it's not dropping like a Masarati sedan either. I would say it's probably close to the depreciation of the current M3/M4, similarly priced.

I'll be a crash test dummy when I sell my GS in 6 months or when my .2 GT3 number comes up! Or you could take it off my hands now, make offer!
Old 07-18-2017 | 01:28 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Considering there are a substantial number of Vettes produced, all will depreciate at least 25% from new within the first year.

There a number of Vettes being sold around the country for 15 - 20% off sticker new.
On average you are off by 5%, more like 10-15%. There are of course GM incentives to move older models and those fall in that range, but it's usually old inventory for a reason (options, colors etc). Also, factor in that the plant is going to be closed through September, so current incentives are very light and may end soon. I bought mine in may when the carbon ceramics had a $5K incentive- so it was only $2k for the upgrade! If you are serious, skip the local dealer and call Mike Furman at Criswell in Baltimore. Straight shooter, huge inventory and great discounts. Even if you don't buy from him the information he will provides is fantastic and will help you find a good deal.
Old 07-18-2017 | 03:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Definitely a GS over a Z51, ceteris paribus.

The GS is a C7 Corvette with a Z51 engine and a Z06 (or Z07) chassis and setup.

If it was me, I'd get the GS with a Z07 package. Best of all worlds.

As far as resale, you could just buy a slightly used GS and save yourself the depreciation worries.
Old 07-18-2017 | 08:38 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Definitely a GS over a Z51, ceteris paribus.

The GS is a C7 Corvette with a Z51 engine and a Z06 (or Z07) chassis and setup.

If it was me, I'd get the GS with a Z07 package. Best of all worlds.

As far as resale, you could just buy a slightly used GS and save yourself the depreciation worries.
OK- just rec'd word my GT3 allocation came in!!! So my GS is officially for sale. MSRP 85K, custom wrap, M7, Z07, competition seats, 3LZ etc. Price not set yet, make offer!
Old 07-19-2017 | 01:48 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by bccars
I wish the Corvette was more readily available over here ! I like that Grand Sport !
I sent a picture of the C7 I'm looking to order to a buddy of mine in London (he just ordered the new GT2 RS) couldn't believe it when I told him the price. Pretty sure if they offered the C7 in Europe and for the price it's sold here they would own the market. Even the regular 5.0 Mustang GT has surpassed the sales of Porsche and is now the number one selling sports car in Germany!

Good suggestions on purchase. Considering both the Z51 and the GS, this car will not see a racetrack, but still weighing the GS as an option. I'm after a 1LT stripper example, want to keep it at 50-60k.

Quick Reply: Sport Auto - C7 Z06 (Manual) - 7:13.9 @ Ring