Notices

OT: Giulia Quadrifoglio 7:32 at Ring

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by B0rJarZz M.
I see the car bouncing and... i don't think the car that will be sell to the public bounce like that... modified suspension maybe? ... and being bi-turbo... maybe a little tune for this test? hmmmmm
"too bouncy". This is a Saloon not a sports car. Its built for rear passengers and sprung accordingly. It also as a "sedan" has a high center of gravity compared to say a 911. When you are using the all curbs for the fastest possible lap and you have a front weight biased car (due to the driver and Id imagine a low fuel level in the tank) then the car is going to move about a bit especially when its rear wheel drive.

Ive heard talk today elsewhere about how Alfa must have tuned the car or done this and that to get the lap time and that Italians cheat and Germans do it by the book etc. all I can say is there are plenty of people who want this car to fail so they can say "told you so". Good on ya mates. Lets wait for SportAuto times - they are tyopically 7s slower than factory driver records so if Christian can get a 7.39 in a 8ZF QV I think it will quash all possible speculation. SA magazine weight the car, put it on teh hoist, measure the geometry before they do their laps! Same driver too.

As for people not buying the car because they see how it moves on this lap - thats madness. NO ONE drives a car this way anywhere else on the planet - its being driven by a factory driver for an out and out lap record. Come on!
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (10-20-2019)
Old 09-10-2016, 01:14 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by the-missile
This car looks great and drives great as per the video but do I really want to be a beta tester for the next 2 years again as I did with the GT3...hummmm ALFA is not PORSCHE so how the fix will work?
I had the same thoughts, and knowing current Fiat, it may not look good in terms of post-sale support. But man, when did Porsche become synonymous with Alfa in terms of reliability. My 15' GT3 is fine so far, but I hate the thought in the back of my mind. Why doesn't Toyota make a cheaper, trackable LFA? I think everyone would be in.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:01 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
You must be Italian
Come sei arrivato a questa conclusione ?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,387 Likes on 639 Posts

That was glorious to watch.

If they can put this power train and suspension and yaw control system into a SWB "touring coupe" (like an S5 AUDI) then WOW that would be spectacular. I'm not totally sold on the styling but I'm totally sold on the performance chops.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:29 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

Ive heard talk today elsewhere about how Alfa must have tuned the car or done this and that to get the lap time and that Italians cheat and Germans do it by the book etc. all I can say is there are plenty of people who want this car to fail so they can say "told you so". Good on ya mates. Lets wait for SportAuto times - they are tyopically 7s slower than factory driver records so if Christian can get a 7.39 in a 8ZF QV I think it will quash all possible speculation. SA magazine weight the car, put it on teh hoist, measure the geometry before they do their laps! Same driver too.

As for people not buying the car because they see how it moves on this lap - thats madness. NO ONE drives a car this way anywhere else on the planet - its being driven by a factory driver for an out and out lap record. Come on!
I don't buy the numbers, but that's me looking at it from a would I buy one not some desire to see the car fail. I want it to succeed, because the more cars that push the envelope the more everyone has to lift their game and we benefit. I'm not a brand loyalist, my next purchase is probably going to be Italian or English. When I saw this time, the cars specs, the fact it was supposedly on regular sports tires, my bull**** meter goes off.

I hope it's great but I'm waiting to see what the production cars deliver and will probably go to the track when the local dealer sends a few to try out.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:12 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

He upshifts manually but the downshifts are automatic (and barely audible/noticeable) -- he never touches the downshift paddle. What driving mode is this?
Old 09-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Axel N Kob
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it a bit rich harping on about the reliability of the thing when you have 991 GT3s on their third engine...
Old 09-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 288 Posts

I really hope the Giulia does well and proves to be reliable.

I had one of the last 4 door cars that Alfa sold in the US - wonderful machine, but...

Name:  DSC06213.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  164.4 KB
Name:  DSC06217.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  200.6 KB
Name:  DSC06219.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  171.7 KB
Old 09-10-2016, 12:50 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 424 Posts

Alfa caught the FWD flu and couldn't get away from it. Only reason I didn't get a 164 after the Milano. Still had that sublime engine and looked great.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a ZF 8 speed same box used in AMG. They say this is the best implementation yet. Its 150ms shift time but has an exhaust "bang" on upshifts and this is causing resonance through the camera mic so I think its adding the appearance of slower shifts. Its not as fast as PDK-S (75ms?) which is a DCT. EVO and other reviews all say the ZF 8 is well matched to the car to make the most of the torque. The engine is programmed to be a bit peaky to give some character. All reviews Ive read rate it more competent than M4 with Comp pack but just behind C63 S AMG coupe in outright performance, but it turns in better and has real character.

I think its a win and I have an order for one.

Regards being bumpy on the track. Firstly he is using all the curbs for that time so yet bumpy it will be. Secondly he is setting a factory lap so yes he is pushing on. Frankly I dont know how anyone can look at that video and not be in awe. This is a family sedan on road tyres and low aero almost matching M4 GTS times! It was always going to be a bit messy to get that lap, but actually I think you will find there are a few places he could have been in a lower gear to get a bit more push out of corners so there may have been 1s or so left on the table. Saying that there were places where I was sure he had over cooked it too and it was almost as scary watching it as being there. That said it must be a sweet and predictable chassis because he picked the car up from each of those without too much opposite lock!
AMG uses 7-speed DCT. What am I missing here?
Old 09-10-2016, 03:31 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Enilder
AMG uses 7-speed DCT.
Only on the GT-S. All other AMGs use a planetary-gear automatic (most 7-sp), BUT with wet clutches, instead of the typical torque converter of the ZF 8-sp autos used on most other cars (and all other automatics). That's in-between a typical auto and a DCT.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:43 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
He upshifts manually but the downshifts are automatic (and barely audible/noticeable) -- he never touches the downshift paddle. What driving mode is this?
Would seem like a regular auto mode which you can override at will by touching paddles, just like the other brands no?

Originally Posted by Axel N Kob
I find it a bit rich harping on about the reliability of the thing when you have 991 GT3s on their third engine...
That's a bit too much around the emperor don't you think?
Old 09-10-2016, 04:18 PM
B0rJarZz M.
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"too bouncy". This is a Saloon not a sports car. Its built for rear passengers and sprung accordingly. It also as a "sedan" has a high center of gravity compared to say a 911. When you are using the all curbs for the fastest possible lap and you have a front weight biased car (due to the driver and Id imagine a low fuel level in the tank) then the car is going to move about a bit especially when its rear wheel drive.

I know what it is, i mean the way the driver is bounce, looks to stiff.

U'll be surprise how many people drives like that.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:22 PM
B0rJarZz M.
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hf1
Most cars driven with that much heat would be "bouncing". The driver was an animal.
I know, but, dont look at the road, just the body of the driver, looks like the car is stiff as hell. IMHO.

I'm not saying is not possible.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by B0rJarZz M.
I know, but, dont look at the road, just the body of the driver, looks like the car is stiff as hell. IMHO. I'm not saying is not possible.
All the road reviews of the QV say it rides better than M3/4 on UK B roads in Normal mode. This is Race mode and I suspect the shocks are on the stiffest setting...

Quick Reply: OT: Giulia Quadrifoglio 7:32 at Ring