Notices

Don't need to be smart to own a BMW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:16 AM
siscogts
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Having the money for a "premium" brand Car diesn't Mean Having also a Smart Brain...
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Gary Knox
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 225 Posts

My caveat - I've owned 5 beemers over the years. Always enjoyed driving them, but in the era I was driving them (mid-70's through early 80's), the cost for replacement parts was too high, and too many of the OE parts seemed to need replacing way to soon.

I too loved the MB threads on the RHD car. THANKS for posting them for even more laughs.

Gary-

Last edited by Gary Knox; 12-09-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:27 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 17prospective buyer
It pisses me off that modified E36's/BMW's in general are so damn overplayed now. I don't know when E36's became cool to young drivers. You can't do a search in my area for used BMW's without most of them being modded beyond belief. Unfortunately it's really the internet to blame for viral car trends nowadays. Now local or regional car mods go worldwide within just a couple years. "stance" is the best example of this, now every dumbass wanting to be cool has to lower his car to ridiculously impractical ride heights. Looks like ****, rides like ****, must be ****. Pisses me off when you see new clean WRX's with that stupid look, great, you took a competent AWD rally car and turned it into a show car (Y).
And how many times has someone posted here that they are indebted to RL for help, indeed that they could not maintain their shark w/o it??? Kinda flies in the face of the statement above IMHO.

Prob should start a new thread titled "My bonehead move : a Confessional." Dr. Bob was big enough to admit one . . . here's mine, not limited to shark ownership. I bought a Honda Civic beater at a sheriff's auction for use in NYC. Had engine replaced, had about $2200 in it. Gear shift **** said it was a 4 speed. I won't tell you how far I drove that sucker til I happened, by accident, to shift into 5th!! The thing was indestructible, so no harm done, but I was so glad no one saw my face when I discovered I had another gear. I thought it just revved high. Defense: I hadn't owned a car for several years, kinda out of the game.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:59 PM
tmpusfugit
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

driving a Unimog across the country deserves a special award.....
Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2013, 02:18 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No way thread #1 is real... at least I hope not.

E46 fanatics was always a strange board imo. I never did think highly of the membership there as a whole, not to say that there aren't some great members but on average they suck. I'd imagine it's gone downhill now that anyone with a spare 10 grand can buy an E46.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM
neilh
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 94 jeep wrangler from a guy who told me it would not go over 10 mph, and he had to keep putting a qt of oil in it every week. When he delivered it to me ( flatbed because he couldn't drive it) I took out teh dipstick and saw it had oil about 2 inches above the full mark. I drained it down and got 10 qts out of it ( the sump holds 4.5!). Cheep fix and now it runs great
Old 12-08-2013, 03:01 PM
depami
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 129 Posts

I know a guy that changed the oil in his '79 Subaru 4WD wagon with flat 4 and 4sp manual.

Drove 20 miles to a buddies where I was at and told us he changed his oil and now it smoked, ran crappy and sounded funny.

We quickly determined that he drained the transmission and filled the oil.

We corrected his mistake and he drove that car a long time after that.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Well, if you want real idiocy, there's always the guy whose Gixxer was running rough, so he put 2 bottles of NOS into the tank.

NOS energy drink, not the fuel additive.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM
jpitman2
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

One Jaguar owner in UK years ago changed His Oil according to the owners manual, engine died shortly thereafter. Guy sued Jag for a new engine, and won. The manual DID NOT say 'fill it up with oil again'...
jp 83 Euro S AT 55k
Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM
syoo8
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MORE STORIES, PLEASE!!! I LOVE THIS THREAD!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:17 PM
depami
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by syoo8
MORE STORIES, PLEASE!!! I LOVE THIS THREAD!
This thread is STUPID.....

Your thread on intake refresh is interesting and pertinent.....

Quit reading this stupid $#!T and get back to work on your car, we want to know where the whistling is coming from......
Old 12-09-2013, 02:59 AM
jetrainor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Gary......made my nite......by the way, the 88 engine i sourced from you is still running strong in my 87.....supercharged.....
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Avar928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpitman2
One Jaguar owner in UK years ago changed His Oil according to the owners manual, engine died shortly thereafter. Guy sued Jag for a new engine, and won. The manual DID NOT say 'fill it up with oil again'...
jp 83 Euro S AT 55k
No way. On grounds of common sense, an oil change by contextual definition of the term "change" refers to the regularly scheduled replacement of a wearable item (oil). Just because the manual does not mention re-filling with oil should not be sufficient cause to rule in favor of the driver's blatant negligence. That's a frivolous lawsuit.

Honestly, sometimes the justice system just favors the stupid. Darwin awards for everybody.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Gary Knox
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 225 Posts

jetrainor,

Thanks for the confirmation on the reliability and performance of the engine. That's always GOOD to know.

I actually have another one exactly like it here in my basement. When my '88 was hit from behind by the semi-trailer truck several years back, I kept the engine as a 'spare', as I was going to be tracking the '89 I bought. Six years later, I still have the engine, but sold the track car this past summer, so have an '88 engine complete with 72K miles from a 5 speed. If you know anyone who needs one, this is ready for installation in a new chassis!

The supercharger must be great on the car.

Cheers,

Gary Knox
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM
auzivision
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks Gary, you just made my Monday.

Makes my weekend error pale in comparison... went to fill the VW with it's normal 3 gallons of Mobil 1 oil only to realize about 2/3rds the way through the 3rd jug... they were actually 5 quart containers. Sucked a quart and a half back out. Being cheap, I discarded the first half quart figuring it was 'cleaning' the sucker pump, but save the other quart to put back in later if needed.

My best Dawin moment happen the first time I drained my radiator. Not knowing there was a drain plug I attacked the lower coolant house with a bucket handy. Had a terrible time getting it loose and when it finally did break... the 2.3 seconds it took to evacuate the radiator was not sufficient time to properly place bucket nor get my face out of the way.

Quick Reply: Don't need to be smart to own a BMW!!!